Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Cold weather riding vs bike type

8K views 36 replies 32 participants last post by  Mursili 
#1 · (Edited)
As the weather cools and deteriorates as we approach winter I see fewer and fewer bikes on the road. Although cheap adventure bikes (Versys, WeeStrom, KLR, etc.) make up a pretty insignificant amount of registered motorcycles they seem to be over represented by the riders still on the road.

Anyone else have a similar observation?

#34 ·
Here in the Southeastern part of Ontario I always manage to go out for a small ride in December. I'm about to put my V away for it's long winter nap, but I rode on December 4th when we had a nice day that got up to 12C/54F. With my heated grips, ski/snow mobile pants, neck warmer and good sweater I'm comfortable for a few hours. I've ridden colder temps, and the bike doesn't seem to mind, but it's just for short jaunts around the city.

When I used to live in the Provence of Quebec, it was mandatory for all vehicles (including motorcycles) to have winter tires from Dec. 15- March 15. So no matter how nice it was for a quick ride, you could still get a fine for not having the right tires if you got a cop who was having a bad day.

#35 · (Edited)
I'm in SE Texas so cold is one of those words open to interpretation. I tend to keep to my warm weather pattern when selecting which of my bikes to ride; what I intend to do. I will say however, the Roadking gives me much better wind protection so if it's really cold (less than 40 F, remember I'm in SE Texas) I tend to roll out the HD.

In my younger days, I used to waterski year round in either a wetsuit or on occasion a dry suit. So, riding a motorcycle year round is really no big deal for me. I think I do see more cruisers and adventure bikes on the road when the weather is bad around here, the sportbike guys must be wusses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.