Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Sawadii khap from Thailand

5K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  yychow0812 
#1 ·
Greetings all.

Picked up my 2011 Versys in northern Thailand (Chiang Mai) two days before Christmas. Kawa has an assembly plant here in Thailand and until last November the Versys was for export only. Excellent bike for some of the best bike treks in all of SEA. Cant wait for the next excursion into Laos. Also have an off road Honda 250 XL Degree for the really rough stuff but love the power of the Versys on the twisty mountain roads. Have been living and working in Asia for the past 10 years and love the year round riding here in Thailand. Brought back a bunch of goodies for the bike on my last visit to the US in January. Very expensive to buy imported after market items here in Thailand so I load up whenever I am back in the US. Have got alot of good info on this site and look forward to many happy miles on the beast.

Cheers
double_D

#5 ·
I paid 285,000 Thai Baht which is about $9,500 USD. Great value considering a 650 BMW GS will set you back over $20,000 USD. Kawasaki is one of the only bike manafacturers that has a deal with the Thai government to sell big bikes (over 200cc) without the big tarriff. Triumph has an assembly plant here but you will pay more than 100% duty as they still consider it an import.

#13 ·
Sawasdee ka and welcome.

I lived in Thailand for a year and a half, Bangkok, Udonthani, Lamphang.

I'd love to go back to ride and rock climb!

#15 ·
Sounds like you had a good time buffamazon. Udonthani in the northeast (Issan) and Lamphang near Chiang Mai very different places than Bangkok. There is alot of rock climbing and motorcycle treks in Chiang Rai Province where I live and some of the best I have ever seen in Laos (Nong Khiaw) Cheers

double_d

#14 ·
Will do Fastoman. Have stayed up in the North of Thailand and Laos with the 250 Honda Degree but now with the Versys looking to go further. Give me a shout if you ever get up around my way. Met a couple of guys from Malaysia in Laos last December, they were on 650 and 800 BMW GS bikes.

#22 ·
Thailand Tour 2013

Welcome DD !!
I am coming to Bangkok, Jan9 and touring for 3 months. Really looking forward to it. I have one other rider committed to go with flights to BKK. A couple of other riders are also planning on coming for a month or so to do a charity ride into Cambodia (Ride for Cambodia). This is to benefit schools in Cambodia.
Current plan is to rent smallish (<250cc) bikes and tour as much as we can.
I hope to see Chiang Mai too.
Ride Safe,
OG

#16 ·
Hello double_d! I am running up and down CM-BKK like crazy at the moment but am always look out for chances to ride, especially the twisties! Keep me posted with your plans and I'll let you know mine. Just got back from the first Versys Thailand forum trip where two dozen Vs gathered. Had a close encounter with wild elephant in Khao Yai on the way back. Will post it all in another thread soonest.

In the mean time pls do some Samoeng loop for me whenever you can. Really miss one right now T_T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.