Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What's your off season project?

5K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  olegeezer 
#1 · (Edited)
The riding season up here in Northern New England is just about over....Temps are consistently in the 40s or lower and once the snow flies and salt is dropped on the road my bikes are garaged for the season and the projects begin :D

This year the Versys will get:
A valve check
Coolant flush
Re-wire all my electrical accessories and route them to a single fuse block
Add heated grips
Chain cleaning and lube
Pull the swing arm and lube bearings

The KLR will get
Electrical rework as well
Heated Grips
Coolant flush
Winch installed
Chain Maintenance

All this should take me to March

Whats on your list??

See less See more
#2 ·
What's an off season? :)

I never really get a chance to do off season projects, in TX the off season is really mid-summer when it's just too darn hot for fun rides. But that also makes it too darn hot to sit in the garage wrenching too.

#3 ·
I was just going to say that...if its warm im riding...

my projects are mount my luggage, install crashbars, skid plate, some aux lighting, bigger windscreen recover my seat with a new cover and gel, some handguards, gps mount and some new bars with heat. other than that its little bling items...

#4 ·
New donuts and chain/counter/sprocket got done this past fall, so a valve check should do it.

Last winter I kept my ST on the road and, thanks to minimal snowfall, rode it several times in January and February. I'd never ridden a motorcycle in those months before, so that was pretty cool. It was also cool to pull up at a restaurant and meet with some two-wheeled friends for lunch, and then have some dudes in H-D attire (but driving an SUV) get on our case as being "soft" for wearing heated gear.

"Did you put on the heat in your truck?"

"Huh? Yeah."

"We put on the heat, too. Enjoy your lunch."

#5 ·
For me its not so much the cold its the salt on the roads....wreaks havoc with exposed metal....not worth it for me to ride. I have pulled the bike out in January when the temps got into the 40s but only if the road was bone dry.

#8 ·
No off season for me so I am so glad I can own more than one bike. I always have one that I am working on. I usually wait until I have to do some maintenance on the bike and then add accessories and such while I am doing the maintenance.

The lastest additions are extreme LED conspicuity lighting from Skenedesigns.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/

A guy I met up with last month in the mountains has them on his Tiger 800. Super bright and really noticable.

#9 ·
My off-season projects aren't bike-related. Have an immobile car and another that's effectively immobile to get moving. First needs a clutch (which I keep procrastinating on because I've never replaced one before) and the other has fuel delivery issues (which I'm having trouble diagnosing). Wife thinks I should just drag them to a shop, but I'm too stubborn.

#16 ·
I installed a Thermo-Bob last weekend. Next project is Denali driving lights now that I'm riding in the dark on my way home from work.

#18 ·
Season not over yet. Although weatherman says high of 32 sunday.

My project probably is getting the bike ready for sale. As soon as the next seadon starts will be moving to a different bike. S10 or TEX havem made my mind yet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 ·
my off season to do list includes fixing the horrid road rash marks on the right hand side of my bike when my lovely teenage son took it for a test drive when I was out. Thank goodness he was okay, but .....really?!? Grrrr! My to do list got longer.
Thanks to this forum I was able to change the oil, lube/clean chain, stabilize fuel before I parked my bike for the winter. Thanks for the info!!! Impressed the hell out of my husband!! haha!
Got a foot of snow here this past week.....I envy you guys that can ride all year round!!

#23 ·
I'm sure I will go to Chaing Mia during my "Winter Project". I will try to check out Mr Beers.
I'll also be heading your way soon on bike swap to AU. So I suppose I will fly into Sydney. Probably come in late 2013 or 2014? My swapmate is coming here to use my ST in May. Sure beats rentals IMO !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.