Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

The "add-a-tool to the advtour tool kit" thread.

20K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  alien71121 
#1 ·
Everybody has their favorite tools. Some riders are more "minimalist" than others. If you were going to go on an extended tour on a properly equipped Versys (let's say, Alaska, for instance-), what do you want in your tool kit? One tool per post, please- cut and paste, and we'll manage the list as we go. Please feel free to debate the suggestions. This is not a "what equipment/clothing/gear am I going to take" thread, but what TOOLS do I take...

I'm going to start:

1)Sturdy, well-made Tool Wrap/roll

#47 ·
Multi-tool

Admittedly a sucker for multi-tools, I wouldn't ride without my Doc Allen Versatool. It offers great variety in a very small package. The three-position T-handle allows for a surprising amount of torque. This is not an advertisement; just an endorsement for something that has come in handy many times.

Attachments

#48 ·
Admittedly a sucker for multi-tools, I wouldn't ride without my Doc Allen Versatool.
Hey - that looks nice! Are the bits stainless? I got a cheap set of bits from Harbor Frieght and they got covered in rust in about 15 minutes. Really annoying, as that makes the fit worse.

#55 ·
Update- keep 'em coming!

1) Sturdy, well-made Tool Wrap/roll which contains:
2) Ratchet tool with bits and sockets (allen and otherwise) and extension
3) Socket Wrench 3/8" with the following sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm 17mm 22mm, and 27mm, 14mm ALLEN (front wheel removal) and extension
4) Tire Patch Kit
5) Air pump
6) Light or glow stick
7) Tie Wraps (long ones - 12-18")
8) Electrical/Duct/Gorilla Tape wrapped on a spindle or tool
9) Work gloves
10) Work Towel
11) WD40
12) Chainlube
13) Original toolkit Sparkplug extension
14) Open-end Wrenches- 8,10,12,13
15) Sliding t-handle socket wrench
16) Safety wire
17) 4" vice grips
18) 6" crescent wrench?
19) box cutter
20) Hemostat

Tank bag- (or wherever you choose to make them handy)
1) Gerber Suspension folding tool (decent needle nose pliers)
2) Multitool (Cruz Outback'r m14)
3) Headlamp
4) Tire gauge (manometer!)

#66 ·
Curious why the safety wire was left in but their pliers removed? You do realize that safety wire pliers differ from "normal" pliers, yes? And that the wire is much more effectively used with them? Forced to choose I would probably carry the safety wire pliers and leave out the "normal" ones. YMMV

#70 ·
#72 ·
Fix-a-flat, XL can [maybe better yet, Slime type [& valve core remover].

If you're really, really smart, 2 cans of Slime or fix-a-flat, XL size of course [& valve core remover].

Never hurts to carry a good flashlight & batteries either :)

Cell phone could save a life or 2 also.

First aid kit.

You can't eat just one Lays potato chip, or list a single tool, when several tools, items are so very, very important to one's survival, plight.

Helmet wouldn't hurt either. When I was a kid, you couldn't make me wear one. Now I won't get on a motorcycle without one.

Happy New Year [when it finally gets here]

Allen

#75 ·
Recently rode to the west coast (San Diego) and then after a few days back at home in Alabama, I rode to the east coast (Virginia Beach). The only thing I used from my tool kit was 2 zip ties (one on two different occassions). It saved me both times. Will never leave home without them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.