Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Raising front fender for Shinko 705s

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Smash 
#1 ·
How many inches has everyone raised their fender to fit a 130/80 Shinko 705? Working out possible clearance issues on my Ninja 650R.

Thanks folks!

#2 ·
smash, have you already bought the 130/80 shinko front?
if so, then disregard...
if not, then i would highly suggest getting the 120/90 size, either shinko or hedenaui scout k60

btw, i lifted mine about 2 inchs...i just made a plate, drilled holes where the stock screws went, used the stock screws to hold the plates on, then drilled holes where I wanted the fender holes to be...donzo

#4 ·
Bamf - thanks for the measurement! I have not purchased the tires yet, won't be doing so until after the Moonshine Lunch Run in April. I haven't read about using the other size. Time do some searching unless you'd like to fill me in.

Fasteddie - my apologies, I know how irritating new folks to a forum can be sometimes. I did search and have done a lot of reading. Both here and on ADVrider. I'm sorry I misses your thread. Thanks for posting here!

Now to secure my front tire and get out some ratchet straps. Gotta find out how far those forks compress....

#9 ·
My 705 shinko. Broke my front brake line, bend the fork, and destroy the brake! Here a Photo.. And Shinko never answer to my complaint!!
Sorry for your wrecked stuff from the 705s. I wrote up a long time ago (as did others) about tread separations on that tire, and recommend NOT to use them! Without being able to give tire temps, I CAN say that the 705s I had got EXTREMELY HOT during normal rides, which I'm sure causes the separations.

I had incipient separations (incipient because I took them off and 'garbage-canned' them!), while a friend on a 1200GS had chunks of tread separate just as you did.

To repeat: I would NOT run Shinko 705s again, even if they were FREE!

:badidea:

#8 ·
The cross over brake line is too short imho for a larger tire hence Laser's troubles. My solution was an Acerbis supermoto fender $25, some SS brake lines $20 and home made fork guards $0. I don't have the 705's on in these pics but they're there now. We'll see how it goes.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hey Smash,

Hawkshot is right, you can have a shop make them pretty cheap. I went the other way though. My local shop's parts guy and I have become decent friends and he let me dig through a box of SS brake lines he had in the back. Older bike specific ones but I found three that fit just right. Rear has one as well.:)

#12 ·
A hydraulic shop can make them for you way ceaper than buying moto specific ones. I bought ones special for the V before looking into the other route.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.