Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Grip Puppies question.

6K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  kiwitourer 
#1 ·
What size did you get and did you need to do any trimming? I noticed the Puppies were 5" wide and the stock grips were narrower than that. I had something like these on my DR 650 and want a pair for the Versys. Thank you.

#5 ·
:exactly: They're not a cure-all , but they do help IMO. Plus, I've found the larger diameter grip more comfortable on long rides.

#6 ·
G/puppies

I have used them for about 10 years on 4 different bike and 2 wave runners. I soap the puppy and grip with Simple green and slid them on. I make sure the whole puppy is on so I have never had to cut one. I also always wear a padded glove.... work glove or mountain bike glove.
Note... if you use soap to install take a garden hose and soke the puppy to remove any extra soap.

Cb

#27 ·
I have used them for about 10 years on 4 different bike and 2 wave runners. I soap the puppy and grip with Simple green and slid them on. I make sure the whole puppy is on so I have never had to cut one. I also always wear a padded glove.... work glove or mountain bike glove.
Note... if you use soap to install take a garden hose and soke the puppy to remove any extra soap.

Cb
Dito. Never trimmed mine, installed as above. Very quick install, minutes.
I found the larger diameter gave me better throttle control. Excellent cheap farkle. Highly recommend.:thumb::thumb:

#7 ·
I love the fact that with the 'puppies' on the grips now fill my hands properly.

Why do they make the grips so darned slim to start with......????? Every bike I sampled prior to finding the "V" suffered from the same design flaw.

Grip puppies to the rescue!!!!!!
Gotta love'em! and they look good too.

#9 ·
Which grip heaters are you using? I'm probably going to need to do this before November commuting...

#10 ·
Small size and I did not have to cut them. I use an air compressor to install. Just start it on the grip, squeeze the loose end while inserting the air gun. It pumps air into the puppie and it slides right over the grip. I install them on every bike I own.
May not be everybody's cup of tea though because it makes the grip bigger.

#13 ·
Here: http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/hand_cont_$50/GPSMALL.html

#20 ·
I forget what size I bought, but I had to trim a bit on mine. It wasn't much, one side I cut perfectly and you can't tell anything was done to it, on the other one, the cut is a little crooked but you can't really tell because it is on the inside side. I really like them for a few reasons:
  • They do noticeably dampen vibration--not a huge difference but you do notice it. Add gloves with gel padded palms and it really is noticeable.
  • I like the how they make the grip thicker--just seems to fit my hand better and is more comfortable for me.
  • They wear like iron! Mine have been on for over 2 years and 30,000 plus miles and they are virtually like new. I like how you can rotate them too--I get a flat spot on the outside portion of the clutch side from bracing myself while braking (flattens the gel on my gloves there too). But when they flatten out a bit you can rotate them forward and get the flat spot away and bring up a fresh section. Unless they wear out from the elements (sun, water, etc.) in the coming years, I can see them lasting practically forever.

Best 10 bucks I ever spent!
:cheers:

#21 ·
Unless they wear out from the elements (sun, water, etc.) in the coming years, I can see them lasting practically forever.
[/LIST]

Best 10 bucks I ever spent!
:cheers:
Mine were starting to split when I finally removed them. I loved the feel and the size. I liked the vibration damping. Because I had installed them over an existing heated grip installation they insulated my hands from the heated grips too much--it took too long to feel the heat and not enough heat got through. Eventually I removed them to have warmer hands.

Since then I've gone to heated gloves also, so that would be less of an issue. But as someone pointed out doing heated grip wraps over the stock grips and under the grip puppies would take care of it.

On the bike I had them on, I replaced them with tennis racquet wrap. Less of everything that the Grip Puppies: less added thickness to the grips, less vibration damping, and less insulation from the grip warmers. The Grip Puppies are nicer if you don't need the heat. But there are decent alternatives.

Been thinking about doing a tennis racquet grip wrap over the Oxford heated grips on my Versys.

#22 ·
Original Grip Buddies

Just thought I'd chime in to let you guys know that there is a great alternative to the GP's.

The neoprene grips wraps we make accomplish the following:

* Easy 5 min install by virtually anyone, with no tools
* Won't soak up water (unlike the GP's), and even get "grippier" when they get wet
* Allow the heat from heated grips to come through to your hands (more effectively than the GP's, which have the smooth rubber skin on the inside, as a barrier between you and the heaters)
* Won't migrate due to our patent pending attachment system (more effective than the GP's)
* Provides a much more finished and professional look than any other aftermarket comfort grip solution.
* Reports from our customers who have used both the GP's and our OGB's, indicates that while both increase grip size and vibration damping, that our OGB's seem to be more effective at accomplishing this.
* Many feel that our OGB's are more "grippy" and outlast the GP's

My post is not designed to ignite a firestorm of controversy between users of both products, but is simply my effort to make folks aware that there are other effective alternatives to the GP's.

Best,

Dave R.
Company Founder
Original Grip Buddies

#23 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd chime in to let you guys know that there is a great alternative to the GP's.

The neoprene grips wraps we make accomplish the following:

* Easy 5 min install by virtually anyone, with no tools
* Won't soak up water (unlike the GP's), and even get "grippier" when they get wet
* Allow the heat from heated grips to come through to your hands (more effectively than the GP's, which have the smooth rubber skin on the inside, as a barrier between you and the heaters)
* Won't migrate due to our patent pending attachment system (more effective than the GP's)
* Provides a much more finished and professional look than any other aftermarket comfort grip solution.
* Reports from our customers who have used both the GP's and our OGB's, indicates that while both increase grip size and vibration damping, that our OGB's seem to be more effective at accomplishing this.
* Many feel that our OGB's are more "grippy" and outlast the GP's

My post is not designed to ignite a firestorm of controversy between users of both products, but is simply my effort to make folks aware that there are other effective alternatives to the GP's.

Best,

Dave R.
Company Founder
Original Grip Buddies

Edit: If this is your product (below) there is no way I could live with the seam.

#24 ·
At least mention which size works with the Versys. I need to replace my Grip Puppies as they are splitting. Although at twice the price I'm a bit hesitant to try these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.