Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Gas In The Crankcase

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Bill2 
#1 ·
I need an expert opinion. This has nothing to do with my boringly reliable Versys. I have a Triumph Daytona with a fuel injected triple. Today, as I was changing the oil I noticed it poured out thin. Yep, gas in the oil.

I have the tank sitting off the bike now to see if fuel is leaking out of it's pressure fittings (then sneaking by the injectors) and filling up an engine the way a carbureted bike can do. The fittings are not leaking.

Therefore, the only way I can think of that the fuel would get in the motor is with a sticky injector that has been filling the motor while the bike is being ridden. But wouldn't such a thing be noticable while the bike is running?

The bike starts and runs normal. No blue smoke or black smoke and it never smelled rich while running. I'm not sure as how to diagnose this. I will remove the airbox and hook up the tank and actually look to see if one or more of them is spewing gas. I Stabil my fuel and these injectors were professionaly cleaned prior to installing them in the bike.

Any input will be appreciated. Mark.:confused:

#3 ·
The fuel rail is properly connected. I will check other plumbing such as the overflows from the tank but they vent to the air. I cannot overlook anything until I find the problem.

My main question is- How does fuel get into the crankcase with a FI system?
The tank connectors aren't leaking so it must be happening while the bike is running.

#8 ·
Yes, the motor takes 4 quarts of oil and I drained about 5. I had a couple of empty I gallon containers to put waste oil in.
I just inspected the airbox and all hoses that may have allowed gas into the crankcase. All seem normal :confused:.
I pulled the plugs. Two were a little wet but when I cranked the motor (I just changed the oil again) no gas flew from the cylinders.
I am going hang the tank above the bike and install the old injectors that have been sitting around for a couple of years and hope they work after sitting idle. This time I'll check the headers to see if they are getting hot equally. My stick coil connection was good. I'm hoping there is no repeat of last night. I will try to monitor things. I'm out of ideas, I thought my inspection would show me the culprit.

#9 ·
I just pulled my "professionally cleaned" injectors and pulsed them with 6 volts. They click away beautifully. I tried the same for the dirty ones I had laying around and the clicks were barely audible so I decided against using them as they are probably gunked up.
At this point I'm going to put the motor back together as it was, crank the motor without the stick coils hooked up and look down the TB's to see if the fuel spray is equal and normal. Whatever that is but maybe I can spot an anomally.
I appreciate any input.

#13 · (Edited)
A leaking injector could bleed off some fuel down the inlet and into cylinder via intake valves then past piston rings into crankcase (and/or hydrolock) until fuel pressure in the fuel rail tapers off... Valve clearance adjustment has nothing to do with it.
A whole quart of gas in the oil over only 400 miles is a lot. If so, maybe it was vandalism or a mistake? Were you able to check if an injector drips fuel after engine is stopped? It does always start well and runs well?

#15 · (Edited)
I don't know if it happened during rides or if it happened while it was put up in storage over the past few months. (I took the bike off the road because my hands cannot take the extreme sport riding position. It took me that long to accumulate the parts I needed to swap to handlebars). I've hooked up the tank to see if I can reproduce and verify the problem.

http://forums.cycleworld.com/showthread.php?t=251326 This helps explain it.

#16 · (Edited)
Yeah, I considered the possibility that the fuel in the tank could drain itself by gravity and under atmospheric pressure through the pump, fuel rail, and leaking injector(s) over time, beside from the initial fuel rail pressure... Additionaly, pressure does always build up in the fuel tank when parked with fresh fuel, especially when it gets warmer. Fuel cap vent valve normally releases some pressure whenever it reaches a certain level.

#17 ·
It is a rare occurance I guess but when I talked to the guy at WitchHunter he sounded like it was nothing unusual. I never heard of it. I tried to imagine a scenario where I could have goofed with the oil but no way. The bike is always in a locked place when I'm not using it. As for sabotage? Who, me? I'm the nicest guy in the world :grinangel:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.