Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

650 in flat-track racing

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ttpete 
#1 ·
I know there's not a lot of racing talk on this forum, but if anyone's interested, there's an article by Henny Ray Abrams in the March 2011 issue of Sport Rider magazine about the Kawaski 650-based flat-tracker.

More than any other form of racing, flat-track is less about maximum power and more about getting the bike dialed in just right for the track and conditions. Once they get more experience, I think the wins will start piling up. As Hall of Fame tuner Bill Werner pointed out, he can buy an entire Kawasaki 650 engine for less than the cost of a Harley XR750 crankshaft. Given the lack of money in AMA Grand National flat-track racing these days, that's incentive for those who want to go racing and aren't indepenently wealthy.

#2 ·
Thats pretty cool and glad to hear the news. Let me guess your a product of the 70's and had a AMA ticket and raced dirt track as a kid? Am I right? I bet if you did race you remember names like Bultaco Astro and Redline Frames? Right again I bet:)

Yea the XR is just like any special order-racing rig $$$$$$$$ funny thing about the very first XR is that it was built in Spain and the power plant came from Ducati! Since then it has come in house to HD but in the beginning it was a redline,Bultaco,Ducati with a HD head badge. Now Ducati and Aprilia have entered the fray as contenders in the Grand Nationals. I hated watching nothing but a pack of XR's run so its nice to see other manufactures finally coming back into dirt tracking I just hope its not to late.

#3 ·
I mainly keep track of motogp and ama road racing, but flat track is starting to look interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.