Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Winter ride idea: down the east coast to Florida keys

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  tom edison 
#1 ·
Hi,
Is there a good route from PA to the Florida keys?
I'm thinking about taking a ride down there in the middle of winter.:yeahsmile:
I'd ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it's closed in the winter.
Is there any other nice route?
I don't want to take 95south, lol.:sleeping:

#5 ·
In general the parkway is open, unless there is really bad weather. It is quite a bit colder up on the mountain. 95 is a bore, 17 is a crawl in some sections, 1 as well. There are plenty of routes in between but no specific road that makes the trek.
If you go around march 16, the Daytona 200 is running. First time last year, what a blast. It's on the last weekend of bike week, so many of the yahoos have gone home.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
Trouble is all the good roads heading down -- through West Virginia, Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia -- are in the mountains. You'll always face the threat of winter weather.

I've driven U.S. 1 from Homestead to Key West probably a dozen times, nearly always in a convertible. That's the transportation type I'd recommend. Going through the Keys I don't recall that I ever wished for a motorcycle...it's just not the kind of road that makes me crave two wheels. Very pretty, just flat and straight...ho-hum.

#7 ·
Mr. ah ... Ricky: Check out US-19, which runs from Lake Erie, north of Pittsburgh, to Memphis, Florida. There, it connects with US-41, which runs to Miami. South of Miami, well, you can figure it out. US-19 weaves with I-79 into West Virginia, so you could jump onto a slab if you get tired of small towns and traffic lights. I hope to take this route ... someday.
Best wishes for a great, safe ride.

Attachments

#8 ·
About 7 years ago I made a trip from CT to Orlando and then Tampa in October. I wanted to get south quickly to get away from the cold by the second day so I used I-81. It turned out to be a great alternative to I-95. Still super slab but a far cry from the mess of I-95. Also, it parallels the Blue Ridge so that remains an option weather permitting.

It will get you to the VA/TN border where you can probably patch in to some of the more scenic routes suggested in the other posts. Just my two cents.

Andy

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.