Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Clutch cable broke on engine side

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Pretbek 
#1 ·
Well, so much for keeping a close eye on the barrel of the clutch cable at the lever end. My clutch cable broke on the engine side! The cable had 23,000 miles on it. The previous one broke at the lever end after 15,000 miles.

It is supposed to be mostly a straight pull at the engine end, so I don't know why it frayed and snapped. I did notice that the pivoting bracket for the very end of the clutch cable was not rotating very smoothly, due to sand in the pivot. That is probably caused by too many muddy puddles and not cleaning the bike.

So, keep an eye on both sides of the clutch cable and have a spare available.

#3 ·
Well, so much for keeping a close eye on the barrel of the clutch cable at the lever end. My clutch cable broke on the engine side! The cable had 23,000 miles on it. The previous one broke at the lever end after 15,000 miles.

So, keep an eye on both sides of the clutch cable and have a spare available.
I just replaced mine at 23000 miles. It didn't break but it was very hard to move in the outer sheath. Did you reroute the cable behind the headlight housing? Mine had a serious, short radius bend in it and others have found the same thing from the factory.
OG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.