Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Decreasing gas mileage?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
I picked up a new 2011 Versys in November. Since then I have put on ~ 1,200 km's, following the break-in procedure. One thing I have noticed is since around 750 km's my gas mileage has been getting worse. This last tank, after the 1,000 km oil change/check it was the worst of all.

Initially I was hovering around 4.3l/100 km's, then I gradually dropped to 5.0 to 5.5l/100 km and this final tank was 6.9l/100 km.

I know the weather has gotten colder up here, but we are talking a temp swing of maybe 12c. Any clues what is going on with the bike?

#2 ·
Mine dropped off when it got cold. All summer I was getting a consistant average of about 51 MPG, for about the last 3 months it has dropped to around 46 MPG and is very inconsistant, sometimes as low as 42, other times as high as 49.
I think it's because I usually commute short distances of 15 miles and the bike doesn't get time to warm up. I'm still on fast idle when I get to work.

#6 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Just realized you are just south of me, I have the thermo-bob, no question if you are riding in recent temps, thermo-bob will make a difference. I am getting 24.6 KM per liter, @ highway speeds of 130 KM per hour,
As it gets colder (below 10' C ) it improves by about 1.0 km per liter, I ride for enjoyment, I prefer over 15'C, I don't have heated gear and I find that I am prone to cold feet.
So it is parked for warmer temps to come. If you are interested, you could check out my install. There are some very good instructions and others have posted how to install on this site.

:goodluck:

#10 ·
Even in the tropics, when it rains hard, the temperature never really gets to the optimum. It remains 'cold' around 70 deg C. I can say the Versys does not have the best thermostat control device installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.