Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Hi from the "Land Down Under"

4K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  MaverickAus 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm another rider from Australia interested in a Versys.

Unfortunately the Versys isn't very popular in Australia, in fact I've never seen one being ridden on the streets despite the bike being sold here for 2 or 3 years.

So I've joined the forum to try and learn a bit about the 2010 Versys before buying. I currently ride a 2007 FJR1300 and a (soon to be traded) 2007 Hornet (Honda 919 in US).

Looks like there is some great info on this site :)

#2 ·
Welcome Mate

Hi

I am an Aussie now living in Beautiful BC

Although the bikes aren't as cheap as in the US they are more affordable than Oz.

I tried to get my best mate to buy a V, and he couldn't even find one at the dealership to sit on, let alone test ride.

:goodluck: in tracking one down

:cheers:

#5 ·
Hi
I am an Aussie now living in Beautiful BC
Although the bikes aren't as cheap as in the US they are more affordable than Oz.
I tried to get my best mate to buy a V, and he couldn't even find one at the dealership to sit on, let alone test ride.
:goodluck: in tracking one down
:cheers:
Hi bigaussie, no problem tracking down a Versys as the local stealer had 2 on the floor a month ago, its just that I have never seen one actually being ridden.

I'm in Melbourne so on road costs a bit cheaper than other states but a Versys will still cost me $12,892 on road which sucks when you can see that our A$ almost equals a US$ at the moment (US$1=A98cents). :(

Be gentle with the locals mate :D :D

#9 ·
I traded an 06/FJR1300 in on a 2010 Versys. I had 80k on the FJR, so was looking for something different.
I'm loving the Versys touring capability. I did change the seat and added some Caribou luggage to make it road worthy for me. Other than that just some cosmetic changes. Handles fantastic and I am not missing the power like I thought I would.
I do have a 99/Bandit 1200 that is tricked out for the times I want some speed but find myself not riding it much with the Versys in the garage ready to go.
In a sea of Lemmings, I own the Woodchuck.

#18 ·
Always seems to be the case when I have 2 bikes, one bike always ends up a favourite and gets ridden most of the time and the other bike just sits in the garage.

Its a problem I like to have though :teetertooter:

BTW there are some neat smilies on this site :D

#10 ·
Unfortunately the Versys isn't very popular in Australia, in fact I've never seen one being ridden on the streets despite the bike being sold here for 2 or 3 years.
You never know. I'd never seen one being ridden here in TX, then last weekend I met 4 guys on them at the local dealership, and they met up with more locals for some tasty BBQ lunch. I think Versys owners are just stealthy. :)

#12 ·
As I rode back from the dealership in Santa Fe just after I purchased my Versys over two years ago, I stopped at a traffic light and another Versys passed going the other way. I have not seen one being ridden since.

Sure I am told that there is at least another one in town. I have even spoken to its rider. I just have never seen another one being ridden.

I doesn't help that the nearest dealership is 40 miles away.

#15 ·
In bikerider mag price listed for versys in NZ nov 08 was $11995 and early 09 they went up to $15,595 that was a massive $3500 jump. In our current exchange rate At $11995 NZ would be around $8600 US but the new price means $11,200 US so we getting ripped off so you guys in the states may not always get the best colors or ABS but you get them a lot cheaper than us colonies do

#16 ·
Hi Kiwi14, I probably should clarify our Oz price of A$12,892 a little better.

That is an "on road price" which adds around a A$1,000 to the price (state registration, compulsory 3rd party insurance and state stamp duty).

In addition it is the ABS model which usually adds between $600 - $1,000 to the price, we can only get the ABS model here.

You guys in Unzud (New Zealand) are sure having a hard time with your NZ$, I think it was only about a year ago and it was worth more than the A$ now it seems to going south rapidly.

#19 ·
Hi Kiwi14, I probably should clarify our Oz price of A$12,892 a little better.

You guys in Unzud (New Zealand) are sure having a hard time with your NZ$, I think it was only about a year ago and it was worth more than the A$ now it seems to going south rapidly.
Yep last couple times i was in Aust it was about 90cents to your dollar now its in the seventies but sure good for the outfit i work for Fonterra as exporters love that.

#20 ·
Well guys I joined for the same reason you did mate. I'm keen on buying a Versys myself for the commute into town (Melbourne City) but cannot seem to locate a dealer willing / or that has one in stock to try beofre I buy. Im not keen on parting with my cash if I dont like.

How did you go yourself with locating one?

#22 ·
Sorry I can't help you locte one, but as an Aussie born in Melbourne I can tell you they are a GREAT bike

I moved to Bright at a young age and would love to take one up to Hotham / Falls Creek / Dargo High Plains on the weekend after using it as an every day commuter.

BC is beautiful, but I miss the NE of Vic.

Cheers

BigAussie

#21 ·
:welcome: Hi Wozzamatta
Ive had my v for about 7 month now. Its a 2011 one. I pick up for $11200.00
ride away. Im from Bathurst nsw . Had to go to Sydney to get for this price.
What im say Price around. There are dealers there out with them and keen for a sale. Just got to find them.I went through the same thing. I must be lucky. Ive seen three of them here in Bathurst.:D

#26 ·
Do you still have your Versys Boogs? I'm up in Marmion, ride the Versys into Subiaco every day and just getting the FI issues sorted on it with help from the forum. I have only ever seen one other Versys in Perth. I hope I can sell the thing when the time comes. I don't think I'll buy another Kawasaki, even though I have 2.

#28 ·
Hey, mate!

Welcome!

About the price... I got my Versys used, but just before that local dealers offered 2012 model (ABS LAMS) for 11,500 on road. Also about a month ago Kawi offered $1000 price pull-back for V, and it's still on. So, theoretically, you should be looking for about $10,500 deal.

cheers!

#30 ·
G'day wozza,
in September Kawasaki dropped a grand on the Versys, that's when I got mine. In January they had a package which consisted of the panniers, larger screen and tank gel protector. I know this doesn't help you now what I'm saying is they sometimes discount or value add so if your not in a hurry you might get a good deal early next year. On the other hand the current (2013) model is a god awful brown mess, maybe you can get a deal on a 2012?
Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.