Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Lowering kit for Versys.

138K views 236 replies 110 participants last post by  MaverickAus 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got my bike on March 3rd and I was busy customizing it to my liking. Because I'm only 30.5" (77.5 cm) inseam I started with designing and making a lowering kit. Being mechanical engineer and an owner of a machine shop, I thought it would be more fun making a lowering kit than buying a $400.00 gel seat.
At this point, I can say that it was sheer joy , and now I know that I will be building more custom parts in the future. I put a lot of effort into making it right. It is as mechanically streamlined as can be. The main component is made out of clear anodized 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum, so it’s resistant to corrosion and stronger than a casted gull-wing of the rear suspension of the bike. My kit lowers the seat to 31.25” (79.4 cm), which is 1.85” (47 mm) lower than the original seat height. The kit also addresses the issue of the rough rear suspension by making it a tad softer.

#213 · (Edited)
I received my lowering kit and kickstand mod, along with the footpeg lowering kit a few days ago. Really fast shipping and good quality parts. I'll be installing it all and lowering the front when I get home from this trip. :D

Looking forward to the GPS mount for the 2011's.

#214 ·
So I lowered the rear with no issues, had the front lowered but noticed that the right side shock wasn't even with the left by just a little. Tried to loosen the right side again and the triple tree on that side dropped about 3 inches and I can't get it back up. Reading through the threads for ways to jack the front up but don't have any of the things I need for that. Any suggestions on how to get some weight off so I can pull this right shock back down a few inches? Thought about using a car jack and some wood to put some upward pressure on the triple tree so I can try to pull the shock back down. Thoughts?

#216 ·
Thoughts?
At this point, I would not do anything jack leg that could damage your bike if it falls, jumps, forks collapse etc..

Might me a good time to use the right tool for the job and buy a front stand with a triple tree pin.

If you do, you have to put the bike on a rear stand first! There are some good value stands out there like the T-Rex that wont cost too much!

If you were close, I would gladly help you with my stand! Try asking around to see if anyone has a set of stands you could borrow! You may have to buy a different pin to fit our bike but those are cheap.

I just changed the rear sprocket on my bike this morning and have found having a complete set of stands has been quite useful. I use them much more than I thought I would.

:goodluck:

#215 ·
For doing front end work I have a cheap $20 cable hoist rated for 1 ton. I use a 1/2 inch nylon web around the handlebar mount and pick the whole bike up using my overhead beam in the garage. If you have a tree nearby and a rope using a truckers hitch you should be able to pull the front up, about 200 LBS.

#217 ·
Thanks Kirk! I ended up ordering a regular front stand but I didn't get the one with the pin for the triple tree, it goes into the forks which wouldn't have helped. I ended up taking a 2 ton floor jack, bracing the back wheels with the wall and a 2 x 4 and then found a cut shovel handle about 2 1/2 feet long, used it to jack up on the triple tree bracket, pulled fork down, tightened it up, good to go! I did have my lady hold the bike while I did it to keep it from tipping and then made her keep holding it, lol, while I sawed the kickstand and installed the flat foot. Thanks everyone, glad she's back to together, lowered, and ready to ride. Now if the rain would stop :)

Mac

#226 · (Edited by Moderator)
Swingarm spools so you can use a bike stand.
They will also protect the swingarm if you have an accident.

Edited ....added pics of the bike on the stand and my hoist I used
to support the bike while I lowered it. Also added a picture from
yesterday at lunch. Does not really look much different than stock.

Ohhh ok oops I thought I would just buy one of those rear wheel lifts from harbour frieght and be good to go. Dang just bought the lowering kit and flat foot from speedy yesterday.... I think I need to get the bike off the ground to put the lowering kit on I will figure something out. Just checked shipping tracker and see the 2009 Ble V is in my town waiting for a call to have them drop it off at the house. ;-)

#227 ·
I think I need to get the bike off the ground to put the lowering kit on I will figure something out.
You can't use a normal rear stand to install the lowering kit on. The swingarm needs to be free. I had a friend help me lift the bike while my wife placed 2 jack stands under the aluminum pieces that attach the foot pegs. I think we used some rags between the jack stands and bike to keep the jacks from scratching the aluminum.

#236 ·
Don't forget, Speedy has lots of other great farkles for the V as well. Once your lowering kit is installed, go browse the rest of the stuff. :)

I've got just about one of everything. I removed my lowering kit and sold it and I don't have the new anti-vibe riser or the highway pegs, but they're on the list. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.