Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

R.I.P. Sweet Versys

8K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  weljo2001 
#1 ·
5:50 on a Wednesday morning, on my way into work. Almost no traffic - except the kid in the giant Suburban who turned left in front of me like I wasn't even there. I put over 16k miles on that bike in the three years I had it. It was a great bike.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeap. As long as you're ok, there's always another bike.

By the way if you're parting out anything, i have my eyes set on the front fender - if it aint cracked yet.

#7 · (Edited)
I hope you are OK. Like others have said, the bike can be replaced. It's things like this that cause me to preach wearing gear all the time. I wrecked my bike about 1 1/2 years ago. Looked alot like yours, It didn't get totaled by the insurance co. Ran about 2700. to get repaired. Time to see how good your insurance is. Good luck. I'f they total it and you are going to get another Versy, there is a dealer in Batesville Ark. that had 2 09's in stock for around 6000.

#8 ·
My initial response should be...'death take them all'! for their are no accidents...only incompetence.
Don't it just makes ya want to SPIT!
BUT..in the end, all I can say is that it's better your "V" looks like a 'dead skunk in the middle of the road' than ...YOU!
Glad your alive and kickin'.

#12 ·
The last 10 days has been rough for bikers, you, a friend was taken out on his Harley Tuesday (he'll be okay, but a 20 yr old softtail is toast), another friend laid his down yesterday to avoid a a motorist that wasn't paying attention. Twice going down I-25 thru downtown yesterday I was almost taken out, by the same c### who was more interested in her cellphone than traffic.

Glad your okay, bikes can be replaced.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm not sure they would have helped or not in Mushin's case but I had a crash at ~65kph earlier this fall and suffered relatively minor damage to the bike due to the crash bars (SW-Motech) and hand guards (Barkbuster).

The bike slide ~60ft on it's side wearing on the bars but survived with only a minor rashed upper fairing on one side where it bounced, bent handle bars, a rashed hand guard shield, broken mirror, and a missing rear spool. Watching the bike slide I also believe they prevented the bike from tumbling as bikes often do. They paid for themselves and then some. They have also helped prevent damage in a few tip overs incurred over the few years. I will never own another bike without installing crash bars. I would recommend these products for the Versys again and again.

#21 ·
Thanks everyone. I fared better than the bike. 9 stitches and some x-rays to ensure nothing was broken. My right knee took the brunt of the impact. I suppose that makes me fortunate, though it would have been more fortunate to avoid the accident in the first place (or to have been wearing my riding pants along with my jacket and helmet). The bike is officially totaled - $5600 worth of damage I'm told - I haven't seen the itemized estimate yet. It is currently sitting at MotoAdventure Kawasaki while I wait to hear more from the insurance company. The other driver, a sleepy young kid from what I remember, has the same insurance provider I do, so maybe that will streamline things some. I brought my stock exhaust and brake lines into the shop so that if everything works out as I hope, I can have them put my ss lines and TBR slip-on along with the Givi luggage system right onto a new Versys. I really like the 2013's white on black color scheme but there's also a sharp 2012 in yellow there. And, there is a used 2011 there as well if my pay-out isn't enough to net me a brand new one. I have looked at other used bikes in the area (there is a black Ducati Monster with 6k miles on it for less than $7k available on craigslist) but not many are going to do everything that the Versys does for me - daily commuter, 2-up tourer and canyon-carver. I'm sure there are other viable options to fill all those roles with one bike, but I know the Versys does it well, and I'm not ready to be finished with the Versys just yet. Also, I'm not rich.

No snow up here yet, I'm pleased to say. It's been plenty cold at times but I've still been able to ride into work almost every day so far - until recently that is. I much prefer riding my 50+ mpg bike in over my 17 mpg truck every day.

As far as parting the bike out, that has been discussed. Between the shop and I we may buy it back from the insurance company and turn it over to the shop. It really does seem like so much of it is in perfect shape - the engine, transmission, wheels, seat, forks - maybe, handlebars, etc. I'd like to see the shop turn it into a custom, naked cafe racer or something but that's just sentimentality for my bike, to live on and give someone else enjoyment for a while.

I'll have to wait and see what happens with all this, but the front fender, amazingly, seems fine. I think there were some scratches on it maybe, but not cracked.

The driver was cited - failure to yield - as is totally appropriate. I would be livid if he wasn't cited or if it was ruled as anything besides 100% his fault.

I wondered if this guy was on his phone - it's as if he never even saw me so maybe he didn't. If so, I hope having a motorcyclist fly up onto his hood scares him into not using the phone while driving again. But probably not.

I've thought about getting the crash bars, especially after I dropped my bike the first time and cracked a fairing. At first I was thinking about taking the Versys down the adventure touring route, and this seemed like an essential mod. However, after having the Versys for a couple years I feel like it's really such a great street machine that this is the direction my mods should take, and I was more interested in shaving weight than adding protection. I've thought about frame sliders, but it's kind of pricey for what you get, and I've heard they can actually increase damage during certain wrecks by transferring the impact to the frame whereas it might have been superficial otherwise. It's certainly something to consider though.

That's terrible to hear about in NZ - my thoughts go out to those who were lost and their families. My wife freaked out a bit on the morning of the accident, even after she knew I was ok, because her good friend was seriously injured and her friend's fiance killed in a similar accident - a driver failing to yield on a left turn.

I'll post back here once I know more about how the whole insurance thing is going to pan out, and with pictures of whatever bike I happen to get to replace my beloved Versys. Well, not replace it, but to follow it. I figured posting on here was a fitting tribute to it and thank you all for sharing!

#22 · (Edited)
Considering the other guy was in a Suburban, the Versys seems to have fared well, looks like cosmetic damage in the photos. Make a street fighter or customize? I wouldn't part out that bike, its fixable. Nevermind, I just read the last post, looks like insurance is the way to go. A good salvage buy for someone to put on ebay.

#26 ·
I bought some $15 adapters for my rear stand that allow you to lift the bike by the swing arm rather than the spools. It does not work nearly as well as the spools and requires two people to lift the bike this way. One to position the stand while the other holds the bike. The alternative was to pay a machine shop to fabricate something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.