Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

"Toothed" footpegs for the Versys

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
I'm replacing my '04 KLR with the Green Hornet, I bought in AZ and just imported to Canada, and I'm "de-farkling" the KLR to sell the farkles separately. :goodidea:

When I was removing my DR650 footpegs, I got thinking they'd probably fit the V's lowered MotoWerk footpeg mounts, so I got to work and tried them. You'll note that the stock 'pegs are held with 12mm bolts, while the DR650 ones have a 3/8" bolt-hole (?mm), which is close enough that I mounted them with the 3/8" ones. After a GOOD trial (so far - I LIKE 'em!), if they're staying, I'll use my drill-press and make the holes 12mm. :clap:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Can't say. I BELIEVE they're pretty much the same, all years. I bought them used from a KLR poster a few years ago. REALLY good mod for the KLR, and it appears - the Versys! :goodidea:

Invader - thanks for the info. I'm just waiting to see whether I need to use the bigger bolts before I mod them.

#7 ·
Thanks invader. I meant the peg lowering block. The OP only mentioned using these with the MW product, and not having them, I didn't know if the lowering blocks provided needed clearance.

Looks like an easy, inexpensive mod. And easy enough to bore the mount holes to the proper diameter too.

#8 · (Edited)
I used steel footpegs listed for Yamaha TW200, just like the ones listed for Suzuki RM 80.

I just had to drill them out to 15/32" (11.90625mm), file the sides thinner, and grind down the seating edge a bit. They are wider, but I installed them with a slight forward tilt for easier rear brake and gear shift lever actuation:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8629

Now on Speedy's footpeg lowering blocks, which fit perfectly with my offroad pegs.

#10 · (Edited)
Footpeg pin fitting is better with less free-play when drilled to 15/32" (11.90625mm) instead of 12mm... Left footpeg/shift lever mount allows for some rotational adjustment. Right footpeg/rear brake master cylinder mount can be rotated a bit for some footpeg angle adjustment.

#11 ·
I put on a pair that came from Ebay for $32.00au delivered. They needed drilling out but the tolerances were good enough to take them out to 12mm with absolutely no free play, a very tight fit.. same spring works and a really nice wide platform when standing. I couldn't help but take it for a spin round the paddock to test them out straight away, even in the dark.

Wouldn't have known except for this forum.. Thanks..

#15 ·
Thanks for this discussion- I ended up getting a pair of the ebay pegs for about $20- At least worth experimenting with. I do enough gravel/dirt road riding that standing up is required/beneficial, and I've never felt secure on the stock pegs. I may try to figure out a way to add some removable rubber for damping... (insert condom joke here?)

#20 · (Edited)
I used steel footpegs listed for Yamaha TW200, just like the ones listed for Suzuki RM 80.

I just had to drill them out to 15/32" (11.90625mm), file the sides thinner, and grind down the seating edge a bit. They are wider, but I installed them with a slight forward tilt for easier rear brake and gear shift lever actuation:

Now on Speedy's footpeg lowering blocks, which fit perfectly with my offroad pegs.
Footpeg pin fitting is better with less free-play when drilled to 15/32" (11.90625mm) instead of 12mm... Left footpeg/shift lever mount allows for some rotational adjustment. Right footpeg/rear brake master cylinder mount can be rotated a bit for some footpeg angle adjustment.
I had also lengthened my shift lever, while upgrading the tip with an MSR knurled aluminum folding tip while I was at it back in 2010, for a great improvement with size 12 riding boots.
Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal Titanium

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Carbon Automotive exhaust