Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New look for my V

6K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Its the Pleats 
#1 ·
What do you think of the V in chrome? Bit of a saga getting the plastics chromed but we got there! Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle accessories
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Atmospheric phenomenon

I really like it. It definitely makes the bike look bigger some how. My neighbour (who knows nothing about bikes) says it looks less "dirt-bikey"!

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#8 ·
:interesting:
I like it. :thumb: :clap:
Have you considered doing the lowers (or are they? it's hard to tell) and the black radiator shroud and the other black plastic side piece (above the footpeg)? Maybe even have the swingarm polished to round out the "chrome job?" I don't know, might be a bit much then...just some thoughts...

#9 ·
Hi all, thanks for the replies!

It is just the two side panels, the two little plastics near the grab rails, the front fender and the tank - 5 pieces in total. The lower panels are untouched and I think I'll leave them. They would cop a flogging with stone chips etc. I've seen some picture online of sports bike that have been totally chromed and while it looks impressive they really look like show-bikes. Mine is a daily ride so I don't want it to stand out too much. I do have a silver radiator cover on it.

It is all chrome and does look like polished metal up close. When the plastics are off the bike it does look like they have a metal 'wrap' on them. The chrome extends around 5mm around all the edges and the underside (the parts you can't see) are the same as before (dirty and green!).

Around $1500 AUD for the lot. I took all the parts off myself and delivered them to the chromers and picked them up.

Going to be hard to keep clean!

I couldn't find a shot of a chromed Versys online - lots of silver ones. Is mine the first you've heard of? Just curious is all...

JB

#10 ·
Hi all, thanks for the replies!

I took all the parts off myself and delivered them to the chromers and picked them up.

JB
Now I am confused! This is a wrap or paint right, cause I don't think plastic can be chromed (unless I missed something).

Looks more aluminum in the pic which is pretty cool.

#11 ·
Apparently its chrome. They coat it with a copper alloy then the final layer goes on after that. Looks exactly the same as the tank. Took the guy over 5 weeks to do it! When i rang to get an update on when they'd be ready, i was told they were 'coming out of the tank today...'

It does however look like a layer on the outside of the plastic. Maybe they treat the outside then put the layer on top of that and the final stage bonds it to the plastic, i'm not sure.

I do know it looks as 'chromey' as a harley tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
I think you are the first Versys that chromed the bike like that. From my opinion, its not for me. But its an awesome concept and opens more possibilities to bling the bike.

Good one there pleats.

PS. Learnt something new today that plastics can be chromed. Awesome forum...woo hoo.. :) :) :)

#16 ·
The Plating Process

Current plating-on-plastics processes still employ the basic technology developed at that time, although inevitably many refinements and improvements have been. The basic steps are as follows:

· Etch in chromic acid based solution to promote adhesion

· Neutralise excess chromic acid

· Activate the plastics surface with a solution containing tin and palladium salts. This deposits nuclei of palladium metal on the plastics that catalyse nickel or copper growth from the subsequent electroless processes.

· Coat the surface with either nickel or copper (nickel is now generally the preferred commercial process) from an electroless plating solution.

Once the plastics component has been coated with this electrically conductive and adherent surface layer it can subsequently be electroplated using conventional technology.

The electrodeposited coating system used on plastics substrates always consists of an initial thick copper layer. This has been found to be necessary to compensate for the difference in thermal expansion between the metal coating and the plastics substrate.

In the early days copper was normally followed by a relatively thin bright nickel layer with conventional chromium topcoat. At that time it was considered that only thin nickel deposits were required since the plastics substrate would not be subject to corrosion in the way that metals are. However, it was subsequently shown that the thickness of nickel required on plastics substrates is similar to that necessary on metallic ones to prevent corrosion of the thick copper undercoat.

Hope its of some use.

:cheers:

#19 · (Edited)
Ha! Ha! Plastic chrome! My car and truck are full of plastic chrome! Not new to the plastic world of auto's. :(

But you are the first I have heard of to chrome V plastic parts! :thumb:

Its hard to be the first in anything these days so CONGRATS to you sir! :thumb: :goodidea:

PS Please do not try to powder coat plastic parts! LOL

#21 ·
different, very cool and gives it a "racey" look

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.