Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

About those 'aprilia mirrors' everyone raves about...

7K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Lours_Polaire 
#1 · (Edited)
You guys never mentioned that you have to buy the whole bike to get a pair!
But that's exactly what they said at Honda East in Maumee, Ohio.
So I pulled the trigger:D:D:D

It's a freshly uncrated 2012 'aprilia Shiver 750' with "0" miles on the clock
And case your wondering...There where two at the dealer. List price is $9499.00. Both on sale for only $8000.00 plus sales tax (no ups, no surprises!).
35 more hp, about 20 more lbs/ft of torque
and it absolutely brilliant:teetertooter:
BTW....They still have one left. (Jeff Eckman was my sales dude....gotta pluck the guy who made it all happen ).

The 'Green Hornet'; after 22,000 joyful and trouble-free miles...is currently in the hands of the used bike department at Honda-East.

(I know I was talking big-time about the Triumph Street-Triple.
But figured I better look at everything in the same price range. Test road the Shiver and it just plane fit me better!
Then a potential buyer of my Versys told me about these two Aprilias he saw on craigslist ( he ended up buying an '06' Ducati Multi-Strada).
The build quality the Italians inject into their product is obsessive, as is the attention to details.
The sound of the "L" twin is glorious!
And even though it doesn't have the power of the Triumph....It's not always about the 'numbers'.
As 'right' as the Triumph felt....The aprilia feels even better to me, in my humble opinion.
I got 4 grand for the "V" as a trade-in so out of pocket was just 4 g's.

So....these are by far the most expensive mirrors you can buy LOLOL but hey....
They are Italian after all. ;)

One thing though.....I have GOT to stop buying new bikes in the winter time!
HURRY SPRINGTIME!

FOOTNOTE:
And sorry for being absent for so long...almost nine weeks ago I was injured at work (Shattered several toes on my right foot...sitting on ones ass for almost 7 weeks fairly sucked. Thank goodness for union contracts, workmans-comp, and my AFLAC account and most of all...The Nederlander Family; owners of the Fisher Theatre ( and a big chunk of 'Broadway in New York' for not putting up a stink regarding my claim. They love their union stagehands and have always taken care of us.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks 'Chalupa'......
I still believe the Versys is a brilliant bike too.
I couldn't have imagined a better place to start riding than on the saddle of Kawasaki's most beloved and misunderstood Versys. Nothing compares to what that bike brings to the party at that displacement and price point.
NOTHING!
But, I was ready for more and I found it.

I'm not a rich man by any means (if I was i would have held on to the Green-Hornet too) but I certainly am a fortunate one.
But this time around I was also in the right place at the right time.
BLACK FRIDAY INDEED!:cheers:

#4 ·
congratulations, nice bike. I seriously looked at that same bike when I bought my 650 Versys last year. It was the same idea price wise. I think the "list" price then was around $11000 and the were clearing them out for around $8000 or so.
Although I didn't test ride it it did feel real nice sitting on it, very nice feel and comfort.
Enjoy the new toy!
ps I know what you mean about buying a new bike in the off season, I just did the same thing with my 1000 Versys and its killing me not to ride right now but on the bright side I am getting all the farkling done now so it will be all ready to go in the spring.

#6 ·
I feel your pain!!!!!!!
But, the deal was there for the taking and a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
So did you own the 650 Versys before the 1000?
Talk about "More Power" !!!!!!
Woof Woof!
Congrats!!!!!:cheers:

#7 ·
thank you very much....I never thought I'd sell the "V" but.....That's the madness of 'motorcycle love'!
...and i was wanting to go naked!:eek:

#9 ·
I got the Z1000 mirrors, right out of the Kawasaki catalog. Those Aprilia mirrors look pretty nice though, congratulations!
It's a shame to lose another Versys Cheerleader on the forum, I knew you were wavering but now it's official. No fair brandishing Brochure Stats on our forum though- "The Shiver eventually arrives at its peak number at 46.54 lb-ft at 7400 revs. In terms of horsepower the curves are similar until 5500 rpm. After that the Monster continues to pump out a few extra horses until the Shiver eventually catches up at 9300 rpm with a peak figure of 76.63" From a Motorcycle USA comparison test with the Moster 796.

#14 ·
The mirrors came with a nice matching bike. I admired one when I picked up an Aprilia Scarabeo 200 for my father. It has the same rear suspension design as the Versys, with a fancier swingarm. Very sharp looking, and I like the colors. Reminds me of a P-51 Mustang.

#18 ·
Ha ha, congrats Carl. That is a highly rated bike. Nice color too. I hope you post up a review here after you put a few miles on her. Hope you mend well although you don't really need your right foot as much as your shifting foot :)D). You never forget your first one though. Have fun, Mark.

#21 ·
Well Rick....they still have one left at the close out price of 8 grand! ;););)

It all happened so fast once I heard the about the deal...We had a 4.5 hour window between rehearsals at the Opera house.
Weather was turning wintery bad FAST! 92 miles in 43 degree weather on the "V"...Then straight back to the theatre to make final rehearsal.
Thankfully adrenaline kept me warm.
My back up day was the following Saturday to buy the bike and I would have never made it as the temp had dropped bellow 32 degrees.
I got lucky and saved having to rent a truck to make the swap.
I will indeed post a rider report as soon as we get a break in the weather here...possibly this coming weekend as 50 degrees is promised.

I really have to stop buying bikes this time of the year!
First the Versys: last week of October 2009...now the Shiver: last week of November. LOLOL

I do enjoy "LOOKING" at the bike though!

#25 · (Edited)
BRIEF RIDE REPORT!
The saddle is AMAZINGLY GOOD ! (mind you I got along just fine with the "V's" seat )
But this bike just fits me like I could have never imagined.
A bit of a lean forward as the alloy handle bars sit right now....but it's not an issue; feels right.
Besides, at speed...the wind really takes a load off your arms.
The rear-sets are gorgeous and I think they have some adjustablity! ( I've been work a ton so haven't had much time for anything but eats and sleeps. will read up on it some more tonite.).
Rear brake is surprisingly powerful and foot pedal is concentrically mounted and adjustable.
Levers are adjustable and use a mechanism similar to the Versys.
The four piston Front brakes BITE! Very progressive, not wooden at all. Easily modulated.
They ARE NOT Brembo's as some reviews have stated. They are made in-house by aprilia; but to the same specs as they give to Brembo for the 'Tuono' and RSV4.

I never new just how quiet a helmet is without a screen on the bike.
Buffeting? what buffeting.
I read that the gear box generates false neutrals and Neutral is a bear to find coming into it from first gear. Coming down from second is much better. That being said, It already is improving so I am thinking as the bike breaks-in, things will correct them self.
As for the rest of the gearbox/clutch...WOWSER!!!!!
One word, HYDRAULIC ACTUATION!!!!! (ok...two words!).
Butter smooth every time.
Suspension is more compliant (Plush) than the Versys; no adjustments at all on the fork set but I'd say aprilia did their homework.
Now that the tires are scrubbed in I'm starting to explore some more playful riding.
The shiver feels a bit more top heavy than one would think. You have to tell her to lay over ( with the Versys you just 'think' it an it goes) But Once you start taking a set through a curve she's very predictable. As a trade-off...this bike is much more stable at high speeds...and holds a line like it's on the proverbial 'rails'.

BTW...the tires are Pirelli Angel ST's. After 170 miles I have nothing to report...it's just to soon to say.

The throatle by wire is very impressive. Fueling is silky smooth when set to "Touring".
The dam thing will throw you off the saddle when set to "Sport" WOO-HOOOOOOOOO...so that's what an extra 35 horses feels like!
( but still smooooooooth. )
This bike wants to ride on one wheel just like the mighty "V". LOLOL
The "L" twin 750 is a very smooth power plant.
Mirrors are rock solid up to 6000 rpms regardless of what gear your in. (break-in period current limit).
Rear end is same basic design as the Kawasaki Versys. "Sachs" shock does a nice job. Pre-load and rebound damping adjustable. feels terrific.
But I won't play with that till spring.

The fit and finish is extremely good. (Honda hasn't completely cornered the market on fit and finish LOL)
Are all Italian bikes this well finished?
You can almost feel the love that went into making this bike, my bike... a reality.

The Shiver 750 is, in many ways... like a better Versys ( and that is most definitely a compliment to Kawasaki).......and You'd feel right at home on her.
It's just a whole lot meaner and athletic.
Imagine if a triumph street-triple bumped uglys with a Kawasaki Versys......
You'd get the aprilia Shiver 750.
Me thinks I made a really good choice.

OH!....and did I mention the sound this thing makes....OMG!!!!!!!!
:teetertooter:
I have a few days off and reports say 60 degrees by weekend so I may expand on this miscellaneous RAMBLING yet again before winter finally settles in.

Thanks everyone for chiming in:clap:!
Though I ride alone...I always feel like all of you've got my "SIX"!
Ride safe my friend.
Peace.
:cheers:
Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.