Registration Questions for a CA Rider [Archive] - Kawasaki Versys Forum

: Registration Questions for a CA Rider

shimoyake
07-08-2008, 03:59 PM
So the Versys isn't available in California yet, but I've been looking at options for a new bike, and I've become pretty set on the V. I don't really know how registration stuff works, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to register a new Versys in California.

I'm a teacher, so I've got plenty of time to take a little trip right now... Does anybody know if it would be viable to head out to Arizona, buy a V from a dealer there, and bring it back to California? Can I register the bike in Arizona if I don't live there?

Bad-Tat
07-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Shim,
You will need to register it in another state and put a bunch of miles on it to bring it in to Cal. Same as if you lived here in Ga and brought a used 49 state bike in. I forget the number of miles you need to run up on it. Take the long way back home via the East Coast should be enough!!!

shimoyake
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Well if it's registered in AZ for a year, can't I bring it back to CA and ride it around? I'm sure I could put the necessary 7500 on it in a year.

Bad-Tat
07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Shim,
Yes you can do that but someone can turn you in to the state and you will get a nasty letter!! Fought that one a couple of times. The local LEO's can also catch you if the see the same out of state plate going down the same roads on the way to and from work.
Haven't been in Ga all my life!:)

shimoyake
07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Ah, so technically as soon as you move a vehicle to another state, you're supposed to re-register it?

Bad-Tat
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Most states give you 30 days.

shimoyake
07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Hm... 7500 miles in 30 days? That's only like 250 miles a day. :D

Bad-Tat
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
That's 30 days after you bring it into the state. Just stay out riding for the summer! Go to Maine and back! The main issue is getting an out of state address that they will mail your registration to.

motorbum
07-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Something else you need to keep in mind is your insurance. If you are stopped your license and registration will be completely different address wise. Your insurance is probably going to be where? Normally if you move into another state you do have 30-60 days to move everything over. License, tags, etc...You may be able to register it in California, it just would'nt pass the emissions. I think that is the only issue right now with it.