New Versys Key Blanks for Sale... [Archive] - Kawasaki Versys Forum

: New Versys Key Blanks for Sale...

CrazyCarl
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey all,

I've got a bunch of new Ilco Key Blanks for sale which will fit the Versys and other Kawasaki models. I will attempt to keep these stocked permanently. The metal on these is brass and stronger than stock. We are sold out of the previous steel versions but the brass will be easier to cut at nearly any hardware store or locksmith. They have a good solid plastic head which is not as obtrusive as the OEM grey key.

https://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/kawikey.html (http://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/versyskey.html)

- Silca Italy Kawasaki Key -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/Ilco-KW16CP-SI.jpg (http://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/versyskey.html)

Purchasing is now handled through paypal so you know the transaction is secure and convenient.

We now are selling it in multiples of 1, 2, 4 and 6 keys.

1 Key - 5.00
2 Keys - 8.00
4 Keys - 15.00
6 Keys - 20.00

All prices include shipping to North America ONLY!

Because the cost is relatively low and international shipping is slow and expensive, those outside of North America are encouraged to find it available either locally or through an EU online retailer.

Check the website for more details...

http://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/versyskey.html

Happy Trails!
CC

henrysmart80
02-25-2009, 05:24 PM
And as the web site says it is "God" quality....yikes that is big promise!:)

CrazyCarl
02-25-2009, 11:34 PM
And as the web site says it is "God" quality....yikes that is big promise!:)

HHAHAHAa whoops! The key is cool but it's not THAT cool. I'll have to do a better job with my proofreading. :)

CC

CrazyCarl
02-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I tried the link for the keys but got this message:

Secure Connection Failed

www.motocyclops.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.

Lou,

That error occurs depending on what browser you're using (I'm guessing Firefox?) There are several different security certificate issuers and not all of them are on all the "approved lists" of the particular browsers. All the message is telling you is that the site doesn't use a cert that recognized by your browser but the site cert it totally reliable and valid. It's entirely safe to approve the cert and you won't have any problems. Motocyclops uses no extra javascripts on the page and as soon as you enter the data you are taken to the crediting agencies page anyway.

In other words, it is totally safe and the error you're seeing is the result of certain browsers having deals with certain cert companies. See how much fun it is to run an online shop?

CC

Bones
02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
My blanks arrived today. More rigid shaft, smaller head. Will get them cut next time I drive past the locksmith. Thanks!

CrazyCarl
02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Bones, glad they got there in a timely manner! I should mention, I tried to have my keys cut at my local locksmith and they jumped up and down saying they don't cut real steel keys. :confused: Something about how steel messes up their cheap cutting wheels because the material is too hard? I'm thinking that's pretty lame because steel is one of the best and reliable metals to make keys out of.

I don't know if they're just trying to get me to order something from them or what but they wouldn't cut it so I'll have to find another shop. I know these are some good blanks but I guess nothing is easy when you want something of quality.

CC

invader
02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
No shipping to Canada? :(
The stock key does bend very easily when left in seat unlock and bumped into...

Hipshot
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Got my keys today. Thank you CC. Off to the locksmith tomorrow. I know that they will cut them cause they owe me. I gave them 3 Givi cylinders with keys as future trading stock.

asdf38
02-27-2009, 02:11 AM
WHAOOOO, I got my DVD and keys today, I'm flying to DC tomorrow so I'm going to watch it on the plane... the keys look good, I think I am going to stash a blank somewhere on the bike and put my key code somewhere online or on my bike for an emergency, and the other one I think I might use it cause I like that it is smaller...

Machog
02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Ordered today and got an email saying they were shipped already-amazing service-thank you CC.

Let you know how I get on getting them cut next week.

Machog

Bones
02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Got mine cut, they work great.

CrazyCarl
02-27-2009, 09:31 PM
No shipping to Canada? :(
The stock key does bend very easily when left in seat unlock and bumped into...

Invader, I'll ship to Canada if you don't mind waiting a little longer for them to get sent out. For international postage I have to go to the post office, which I do only once or twice a week.

If you're cool with that then go ahead and order using the same page.

Paz,
CC

CrazyCarl
02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Got mine cut, they work great.

That's good news! I think my locksmith is just on crack or using ultra cheapo cutting wheels. :huh:

I went to the local Lowes and they didn't even understand why I was asking them if they cut steel keys... looked at me like I was from outer space or some ****. :confused:

Anyway, I think it's not a problem to cut these but but I just wanted to be sure and let you guys know anyway.

Paz,
CC

Hipshot
02-28-2009, 01:09 AM
My locksmith was pretty upset that he didn't check the blank with a magnet first. Realized his mistake after he cut the first one. His normal machine cutter wheels are not meant for steel. He cut the second one on an older machine in the back. I played dumb - really steel, wow maybe it won't bend or break like the cheap oem keys.

CrazyCarl
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I wonder if the larger Mega-lo Mart shops like Home Depot and Lowes are less likely to care about destroying wheels because they have deeper pockets to replace their consumables.

CC

P.S

Only five keys left as of this date. I'll place an order for s'more.

Machog
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Don't bother going to Home Depot, Lowes et al, they can't cut these keys. They have some semi automated system with little boxes they load into the cutter. Took two people 15 minutes to decide they couldn't do it-but at least they recommended a good locksmith.

Local locksmith did it 2 minutes, they work great. Now have one key in my bike jacket and may hide one on the bike if I can find somewhere good-but not telling you lot:D

Machog

CrazyCarl
03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
:confused:

Well at least when they finally get cut they should last a while.

We're now on second batch of 25 keys! You guys rock! Thanks fellas! :thumb:

CC

ZaethDekar
03-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Just wanted to say I got my DVD and Keys in amazingly quick. I think it was 5 days from ordered to received including the weekend!

brothercannon
05-14-2009, 02:09 PM
When I got my versys out of storage the gas cap lock was sticking. It was so bad that I was afraid I was going to break off the in the lock. After using some lube I got it to work but I still don't trust the key. When I saw this post I ordered a set of keys. When I got them I took them to a local hardware store and they had no problem cutting them. They only charged me $0.95! I like these keys much better than the Kawasaki keys. They feel much stronger and the smaller head is more pocket friendly. If the gas cap lock becomes hard to turn again I won't have to worry about the new key bending or breaking. I also lost one of my original Kawasaki keys, so I have a spare again!

CrazyCarl
05-14-2009, 02:41 PM
BC,

There's no doubt the steal on these keys is superior to the factory's. Glad they worked out for you and were easy to cut. I had to go to four different shops to get mine cut and burned through two blanks before getting one that worked. :confused:

Anyway, riding season in finally here for those us above the tropical zones. Ride safe and have fun everyone!

Paz.
CC

Pegasus
05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Highly recommended. Great key blanks and service. I have had mine now for several months. I actually twisted the stock OEM key once turning on the ignition!!! Of course it was also as easy as playing with silly putty to bend it back straight again. Not sure how many times you could do that without breaking that stock key and leaving it stuck in the ignition switch.

CrazyCarl
06-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Hey folks...

Sorry been spotty with the key thing. The old merchant account system was bleeding me dry with various fees so we moved to Paypal.

Downside is the keys are slightly more expensive (2 for 8.00 instead of 2 for 6.00) because of paypal per transaction fees and other factors.

Upside is you can now order multiples of 1, 2, 4 or 6! Pricing still includes shipping to North America and has been updated on the original post.

Thanks Guys!
CC

buffamazon
06-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Hmm...maybe I could implant one beneath the surface of my skin. That'd learn me if I lost my key.:joke:

hikewithmike
06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
ironic that I find this thread only hours after making a purchase for two said key blanks at ten dollars shipped from eBay.

Element
06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Just ordered one, thanks Carl!

Hardware
06-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Can the plastic head be ground down/off leaving it functional, i.e., is there enough metal under the plastic to hold & turn?

I don’t care if it ends up pretty... I just want one that’s as flat as possible to carry as an emergency spare in my wallet...

Thanks

hikewithmike
06-16-2010, 12:11 AM
So I got my keys yesterday and today had the adventure of finding a place in the greater Seattle area that would cut steel keys. Luckily a Beemer forum came in handy because walkins and calling was not producing. Those in the Seattle area that need these blanks cut, Broadway Locksmith will do them for five a pop; their address is 918 East John Street in Seattle.

CrazyCarl
06-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Your best bet is to take it to a traditional hardware or five and dime store for cutting. This is a good chance to visit your local ACE hardware store.

I visited a couple major locksmith companies in the area and they stick the keys on a magnet to check their steel compound. Soon as it sticks to the magnet they're like "We won't cut it." They've got like 5 different cutting machines and they won't touch it.

I figure most locksmiths now are so commercial all they do is home and office work.

Anyway glad you found a place!

CC

naz
06-17-2010, 03:56 PM
There is some serious demand from EU about steel keys for versys.Give us the keys!!
Who is in guys,if anybody from Europe is interested speak here,maybe we are more than you think;)

Ivan V
06-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I need one or two.
In Europe that is. :)

I once bent the OEM key and straightened it back by hand. It's amazing how soft the metal is.

naz
06-17-2010, 04:00 PM
I need one or two.
In Europe that is. :)

I once bent the OEM key and straightened it back by hand. It's amazing how soft the metal is.

i knew i could count on you :thumb:,neeeeeeext

CrazyCarl
06-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Since the keys are made in Italy I figured the EU crew should have access to them. Guess I was wrong!

If you guys can get an order for at least 25 together, we can work out something to get a bunch over there.

CC
sales@motocyclops.com

CrazyCarl
06-17-2010, 04:25 PM
ironic that I find this thread only hours after making a purchase for two said key blanks at ten dollars shipped from eBay.

That happens to me all the time! I just started selling these on ebay, but for more than you can get them through here. Ebay takes about 2 buck from each sale so the price had to go up. Plus, I figure you guys are part of the community and should get at least a little break.

CC

CrazyCarl
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Can the plastic head be ground down/off leaving it functional, i.e., is there enough metal under the plastic to hold & turn?

I donít care if it ends up pretty... I just want one thatís as flat as possible to carry as an emergency spare in my wallet...

Thanks

Good question, I haven't dissected one so don't know for sure. You don't need a whole lot of force to turn the key so as long as there's even a little metal flange under the plastic, then you should be okay.

CC

Ivan V
06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
It would seem silly to order them from US if they are available somewhere in Italy or Europe.
Could you tell us what is the manufactures marking of the key?
Looks like X105.
http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key_systems/key_download.aspx?File=key_blank_directory_catalog _60_2004_vehicule_i_to_p.pdf&Attachment=True

CrazyCarl
06-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Try KW16CP-SI and please let me know what you find!

The SI stands for the steel version.

CC

Red Herring
07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Hmmm. Don't know how I missed this first time around, but just ordered a couple of blanks today! Great idea!

Thumper
07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Just ordered two through Paypal. Thanks for making more room in my pocket. I can carry more money to spend on options now.

weljo2001
07-08-2010, 10:11 PM
just ordered 4 key blanks. bent one of the originals awhile back had the key in the seat and bumped it with my leg. bent it back so easily i'm afraid one might snap off in the ignition switch.

pepper913
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Just ordered a couple blanks since I only have 1 key that came with my used bike, with all the talk of the oem soft keys bending, I was starting to get nervous!!!

Tigerpawed
09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
I have four steel blanks sitting around because I can't find a local shop that will touch steel keys. I've tried about a dozen places within 15 miles and they either all say they won't cut steel or refer me to another shop that then says they won't cut them either. I haven't had the heart to try and sneak the steel keys into a shop and mess up their equipment - I wouldn't want to be treated that way so I don't treat them that way either. Stupid me I guess. Anyone have a source I can mail blanks to along with a key code or spare key and have them cut?

weljo2001
09-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I have four steel blanks sitting around because I can't find a local shop that will touch steel keys. I've tried about a dozen places within 15 miles and they either all say they won't cut steel or refer me to another shop that then says they won't cut them either. I haven't had the heart to try and sneak the steel keys into a shop and mess up their equipment - I wouldn't want to be treated that way so I don't treat them that way either. Stupid me I guess. Anyone have a source I can mail blanks to along with a key code or spare key and have them cut?

I've heard Ace Hardware cuts steel keys. I have 4 i have to get cut also and thats where i'm going to start.

tenover
09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Order placed.....Thanks!

CrazyCarl
09-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey Fellas (and any Fell-ettes),

Not sure when the magic "we won't cut steel keys" point happened in the US but it is frustrating. I guess it just goes to show quality and quantity don't scale!

I ended up taking mine to Ace and had some cut. I also got a set cut at my old dime store where I grew up. A bit out of the way but he dun' cut them keys good!

Some cobblers also offer key cutting so, if you can find an old-school shop, they may still have the correct cutting wheel around.

Cheers,
CC

tenover
09-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Geeez....I just called every locksmith in San Diego and no one except one mobile locksmith will cut steel. They will do it, but it's very expensive. If anyone has any leads, I'd love to have them!

CrazyCarl
09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Amazing isn't it? I was scratching my head for days trying to figure this one out.

I'd suggest heading a little further out of town? You try your local hardware stores? Also, I generally don't get very good or accurate responses with phone calls. If you ask someone a question they don't know the answer to, they're likely to say "no" just to avoid the trouble/responsibility.

Not a local SoCal-izen so can't offer any specifics..sorry!

CC

weljo2001
10-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Well went into Ace Hadware store in Sansom Park TX. Asked the cute young lady if they cut steel keys and she said yes sir. Handed her the 4 blanks and an original key. While she was loading up the machine i excused myself to go get some velcro so if she did mess up the cutting machine i would be off somewhere else. Came back she was finishing up the last one. Went to the register and she asked if i would like to go see if they worked before i paid so i did. Holding my breath i put the first one in and it turned like a charm checked all 4 they were perfect. The cost to cut the keys were 50 cents plus tax per key. Now thats a bargain.

Capn Kirk
10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Ordered 4 blanks from Crazy Carl at Motosyclops and received them in a very timely manner! Thanks Carl.

I went into my local locksmith and asked them if they could cut them. To my surprise, they said of course!! We even have those blanks in stock!! The young man went over to his rack and pulled one of his blanks and handed them both to me and sure enough! They had no problem cutting the steel keys. So now I have a bunch of spares.

So if you are in the Blacksburg area of Virginia, pay them a visit for your spares!
Brian's Lock and Key. (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=brians+lock+and+key+24060&fb=1&gl=us&hq=brians+lock+and+key&hnear=Blacksburg,+VA+24060&cid=12292360936590761171)

Hardware
05-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey Folks,

For those of you who want a spare key thatíll fit in your wallet, itís real easy to get the head off these (Carl's) keys and as you can see in the below picture, there is a small but adequate flange left to grip.

The way I did it was to clamp most of the metal part in a vise (protected from the vise jaws with a couple of pieces of wood) and with a hack saw blade, sliced off one side of the head...

Thereís no need to cut right up to the metal (and perhaps gouge it like I did to the first one). :o The plastic is soft enough so that if you shave most of it off, the head will just twist through the remaining plastic.

And on 2nd thought, I just checked and the plastic is actually soft enough to cut with a utility knife... Just donít try it while holding the key in your other hand! :eek:

tenover
05-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I bought 4 of these months and months ago and still can't find a place to get them cut in San Diego! I'm down to one original key and have lots of bike camping trips coming up in the next few months.....If anyone knows of a place in SD that will cut steel blanks, let me know! Thanks.

Hardware
05-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Have you tried a real locksmith? I havenít had mine cut yet but I asked a locksmith several weeks ago (who didnít have the blanks) if heíd cut steel ones if I brought them in and he looked at me like I had 2 heads. I told him that folks were having a hard time finding a place to cut them and he laughed & said theyíd be no problem.

weljo2001
05-04-2011, 11:45 PM
If you can get another original key and if you want mail the original and blanks to me i'll be in texas next week and if i'm heading to cali i'll be going through san diego and could drop them off or mail them back to you. PM me if intrested. Like i posted earlier i got mine done at an Ace Hardware

Joseph

tenover
05-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the offer Joseph....I called ACE and they said "no way". I've called almost every locksmith that I can find......Crazy! Not sure how to get another original made...?

weljo2001
05-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the offer Joseph....I called ACE and they said "no way". I've called almost every locksmith that I can find......Crazy! Not sure how to get another original made...?

Go to the dealership the key has a code on it. Not sure what they charge though.

CrazyCarl
05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
You may want to try NOT calling. I found some people (mostly the young front counter clerks) didn't even know keys were made of different materials and if you presented it as a problem, then it became one...regardless of whether or not they could do it.

As you would guess, the default answer would be "no".

CC

objectuser
05-05-2011, 08:00 PM
My key is slightly twisted at this point. I found out I can be a little more gentle with the way I open and close the tank. But I wouldn't at all mind a steel key.

smoore
04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
I was having the same issue as a lot of folks regarding the gas tank being difficult to work with -- I can get mine open fairly easily, but trying to close it requires me to stand on the pegs and push down with all my body weight.

Anyway, I came across this thread and found that I could get steel key blanks from Motocyclops. So I ordered two blanks on Thursday of last week. On Friday, I received an email confirmation from them that the keys were on their way (and they provided a tracking number). The keys were in my mail box on Monday (yesterday)! That's FAST.

So if anybody is wanting to buy steel key blanks for their V, I can completely and highly recommend buying them from Motocyclops.

Arion
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM

I bought two steel blanks not too long ago from Moto Cyclops and had them cut - no problem at all - at a local old-fashion locksmith shop. In fact, they had the key blanks in stock @ $4.20 each. Pretty amazing - and they work perfectly.

If you still can't find a place, and want to mail your spare key and the blanks to me, I'll take them to the shop and have them cut for you. PM me if interested. In fact, that goes for anyone who can't get a steel key cut.

filbert
04-12-2012, 03:24 PM
I see people saying that the head of the key is smaller... anyone know just how much shorter these keys are compared to the stock keys? My panniers partially block the seat key hole and I need keys 1/4"-1/2" shorter so I don't have to loosen them to open the seat.

weljo2001
04-12-2012, 04:26 PM
I see people saying that the head of the key is smaller... anyone know just how much shorter these keys are compared to the stock keys? My panniers partially block the seat key hole and I need keys 1/4"-1/2" shorter so I don't have to loosen them to open the seat.

I can't find my stock keys to compare. But heres some photos that might help...

hdatontodo
04-12-2012, 05:10 PM
2009 Key pic

Capn Kirk
04-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Stock key is 3.147 inches end to end
Copy key is 2.592 inches end to end
Copy is .555 inches shorter (measured with dial calipers).

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/pickin/Versys/keys.jpg

filbert
04-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Awesome. Thanks guys.

Pegasus
04-15-2012, 12:53 AM
Stock key is 3.147 inches end to end
Copy key is 2.592 inches end to end
Copy is .555 inches shorter (measured with dial calipers).

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/pickin/Versys/keys.jpg

But when did you last have your calipers calibrated?
You might be off as much as a couple of thousands.

Capn Kirk
04-15-2012, 06:50 AM
But when did you last have your calipers calibrated?
You might be off as much as a couple of thousands.

What does calibrated mean? :D

Tigerpawed
04-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Just to follow-up, I did find a "Do-It" hardware store that was more than happy to cut steel keys for $1.50 each. Steel keys are great!

Capn Kirk
04-15-2012, 10:29 AM
It occurred to me this morning you could shave another 5/16 of an inch off the length by cutting off the loop and rounding the edges!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/pickin/Versys/ShorterKey.jpg

Baron650
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
I remember seeing this thread a while ago but didn't order any blanks thinking that I could get some locally. A spare key on the bike was on the list. My local go-to lockshop couldn't help and sent me to a shop across town. I never made it over there, lost the note, and didn't get a spare key, ended up putting my only back-up on the bike as a spare.
When the thread popped up again it reminded me and I ordered a couple blanks; the transaction was easy and the parts came right away. I went to my local hardware store (a Do-it), but they won't cut steel blanks; i guess it varies store to store. They referred me to a different local lockshop to get the keys made. This place was like a time warp and nobody under 70 worked there. The old fella takes my key and the blanks, shuffles off to make the keys. He returns me the key, the blanks, and two new keys cut from identical blanks. It's $3.50 per key. I ask if they are steel. Yep. Why didn't he use my blanks? It's $3.50 per key. Alright... didn't seem worth the argument.
The new keys work fine. They cost me $15. Could have cost $7.

Capn Kirk
04-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Why didn't he use my blanks? It's $3.50 per key. Alright... didn't seem worth the argument.
The new keys work fine. They cost me $15. Could have cost $7.

Might be his policy to only cut a key he sells. Either way, the factory keys are ~$12 on ebay uncut so you done good! :thumb:

FBversys
04-17-2012, 04:29 PM
My local hardware store (not the big box home centers but definitely full of old guys) doesn't cut steel keys. It ruins the cutting wheel on the key machine, the old guy tells me. Brass doesn't. Having worked in a hardware store as a teenager and cut dozens of keys myself, I tend to agree. Back to the original subject; he didn't have a Kawasaki blank but he did have a Suzuki automobile blank.
The length is the same, the overall thickness is the same and the "blades" are offset correctly. The only drawback is the blades are thicker than the ones on the V key. I had a key made and after a few minutes of filing to thin the blades, the new key fit in the ignition, tank lock and seat lock perfectly.

filbert
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
I called some local locksmiths and they all said they won't cut steel keys. One guy suggested a specific company but it was far away so I decided to try Ace Hardware.

I told the guy it was steel and that other places wouldn't cut it. He looked at me like that was really weird and said "Ok, well we'll see what happens." They came out fine and he charged me $3 labor for both keys (they didn't know how to charge me b/c they usually charge for the blanks, not the labor)

Also, I cut an additional 3/8" off the plastic (more than recommended by Capn) to fit the seat lock with my panniers in place (so it's about 7/8" shorter than the stock key). I drilled a hole through the plastic in the same spot where the hole in the steel is, so I can still hang it on my key chain. I could just cut all the plastic off but this way I still have a little more leverage for turning.

http://www.filtsai.com/motorcycle/Versys/2012_03/key.jpg

BLACK DOG
04-24-2012, 12:48 PM
don't you love specialists
don't tell me it can't be done until I'm finished doing it

had the same experience this past weekend

weljo2001
04-24-2012, 03:32 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/6964391496_372f2f99ed_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6964391496/)
V-Key (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6964391496/) by weljo2001 (http://www.flickr.com/people/54181788@N06/), on Flickr

filbert
04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
no pic?

weljo2001
04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/6964391496_372f2f99ed_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6964391496/)
V-Key (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6964391496/) by weljo2001 (http://www.flickr.com/people/54181788@N06/), on Flickr

Sorry about that...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/6971455106_e575543d26_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6971455106/)
V-Key (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6971455106/) by weljo2001 (http://www.flickr.com/people/54181788@N06/), on Flickr

filbert
05-05-2012, 10:56 PM
To help others, here's a comparison of the stock key, the keys from motocyclops, and then the "shaved" key, which is a full inch shorter than stock.

http://www.filtsai.com/motorcycle/Versys/2012_03/key_02.JPG

onewizard
05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Hey all,

I've got a bunch of new Ilco Key Blanks for sale which will fit the Versys and other Kawasaki models. I will attempt to keep these stocked permanently. The steel on these is stronger than stock and has a good solid plastic head which is not as obtrusive as the OEM grey key.

https://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/kawikey.html

- Silca Italy Kawasaki Key -

https://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/Ilco-KW16CP-SI.jpg (https://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/kawikey.html)

Purchasing is now handled through paypal so you know the transaction is secure and convenient.

We now are selling it in multiples of 1, 2, 4 and 6 keys.

1 Key - 5.00
2 Keys - 8.00
4 Keys - 15.00
6 Keys - 20.00

All prices include shipping to North America ONLY!

Because the cost is relatively low and international shipping is slow and expensive, those outside of North America are encouraged to find it available either locally or through an EU online retailer.

Check the website for more details...

https://www.motocyclops.com/buymisc/kawikey.html

Happy Trails!
CC
Hey Carl
FYI I went to my local locksmith that has a special cutting wheel for steel keys, as soon as he saw my blank, he says he doesn't need the special wheel. I told him twice they were mild steel, he didn't even bother checking, just said you need to go slow, sure enough no problem and $3 per key. By the way, I want to personally thank you for providing a awesome service, like you said, you ain't getting rich selling keys, between shipping and the cost of the keys, I would assume you barely have enough left over to buy a cup of coffee .:yeahsmile: :grinangel:

Froste
06-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Received my key blanks but haven't found anyone willing to cut them; very disappointing.

weljo2001
06-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Received my key blanks but haven't found anyone willing to cut them; very disappointing.

Go to Ace Hardware. I had 4 cut for it was either 50 or 75 cents apiece

BLACK DOG
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Ace is the place!!

Froste
06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Ace is the place!!

+1

They took care of me, no problem.

Jmason
06-13-2012, 12:26 AM
I read this thread a week or so ago and thought to myself "what are people doing to their keys that require a sturdier solution?"

Yesterday, I bent the snot out of my key trying to unlock the seat...

Order placed for two steel keys today. :)

Capn Kirk
06-13-2012, 05:41 AM
I read this thread a week or so ago and thought to myself "what are people doing to their keys that require a sturdier solution?"

Yesterday, I bent the snot out of my key trying to unlock the seat...

Order placed for two steel keys today. :)

:thumb: Much smaller as well. Very handy!

G19Tony
07-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Will these keys work in a 2011?

Thanks.

weljo2001
07-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Will these keys work in a 2011?

Thanks.

Yes....

G19Tony
07-07-2012, 03:04 AM
Yes....

Thanks, ordering now. :D

southbark
07-07-2012, 03:52 AM
I have one of these just to open my gas cap

southbark
07-07-2012, 04:02 AM
Sorry about that...
by weljo2001 (http://www.flickr.com/people/54181788@N06/), on Flickr

That looks like the keyport key blades ,but I am not sure if they are made of steel or not

Www.keyport.com

CrazyCarl
09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey Guys, just wanted to say the link has been altered a little bit. Actually, Motocyclops will be getting a whole new site fairly soon and I'll be sure to post the new link to this product then.

Also, I've gotten word of a hard brass (aka softer than steel) version of this same key. In theory this should mean no more cutting worries as long as your shop is using regular cutting wheels.

If you're interested in finding out more about the brass blanks, please let me know here and I'll look at the option.

New Link:

Cheers!
Carl

mycombs
04-27-2013, 01:31 AM
The website says the keys fit "(1999-2007)"
Can anyone confirm this will work in a 2009?

weljo2001
04-27-2013, 05:16 AM
The website says the keys fit "(1999-2007)"
Can anyone confirm this will work in a 2009?

I bought 4 steel blanks for my 2009 in 2010. They work great..:cheers:

filbert
02-04-2014, 11:08 PM
So, I was using one of these in my gas tank while filling up. I had a tank bag that i moved out of the way, but I dropped a glove and leaned over, pushing on the tank bag, which pushed on the key and bent it. I didn't think I was putting that much force on it, but I guess I did. So the keys are not quite as beefy as I hoped... however, they are still good keys and I'm buying new ones for my versys and for the 650 I just got.

Backroadie
04-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Is the motocyclops site up? Can't seem to access it. Need a couple blanks. Thanks

weljo2001
04-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Is the motocyclops site up? Can't seem to access it. Need a couple blanks. Thanks

CrazyCarl
04-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Hey guys! thanks for the continued patronage and orders so far!

I wanted to not that the keys have changed. The STEEL keys made in Italy are o-fishully SOLD OUT. The Keys we have now in stock are identical in shape and design, but they are hardened BRASS and MADE IN THE USA.

The downside is the bass keys are not as bulletproof hard as the steel versions. The upside is the brass keys are still stronger than the OEM plus they won't be difficult to cut in stores (which don't like steel keys since they eat cheap grinding/cutting wheels).

Thanks again and let me know if you have any questions.

Ride Safe, Have Fun,
CC

kawdog
12-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks! You wouldn't believe what you have to go through to get a BMW motorcycle key made. I jumped on this in a heartbeat!

I (temporarily) lose keys every now and then :-o