: Beer headaches

Bear on a bicycle
12-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Anybody else get headaches after having a couple of beers? Its been happening to me for awhile. Not every time, but often enough that I'm reluctant to open a cold one. That pisses me off, cause I like a nice cold beer on occasion!

:mad:

Went to Hooters for lunch with coworkers yesterday. Had 3 beers over the course of a couple of hours. By the time I got home, my head was pounding so bad I couldn't focus. I tried to take a nap, but couldn't. Tylenol didn't help. Drank a lot of water, no help. This monster of a vice continued to grip my head until I fell asleep last night.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/Bear_on_a_bicycle/baldy.gif http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/Bear_on_a_bicycle/baldy.gif http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/Bear_on_a_bicycle/baldy.gif http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/Bear_on_a_bicycle/baldy.gif

Now, I assumed the headaches were due to drinking alcohol while being dehydrated, and normally I drink a lot of water, especially if I know I'll be drinkng said alcohol. Also, I rarely, almost never drink alcohol excessively. It's usually 2 to 3 beers or glasses of wine & I'm done. Yesterday was no exception.

So this morning I decided to google it. Turns out, its quite common! Who knew!? Apparently, the yeast used in making beer can cause headaches. The manufacturers seem to know about it, but don't want to use different yeasts because that would change the way their beer tastes (selfish bastards!).

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Beer-2269/beer-headaches-1.htm

Expert: Ed Westemeier (http://www.allexperts.com/ep/2269-27734/Beer/Ed-Westemeier.htm) - 10/17/2005

Question
Hello.
Is it true that certain beers have byproducts that cause headaches?
I found that Budweiser and other beers from Anheasur(sp?) Busch give me bad headaches.
A friend of mine says the same thing.
He switched to Coors, and no more headaches for him. Before I make the switch, I'd like to ask if there is any truth to his theory.
Thank you.

Answer -
Unfortunately (for them), it is true.
There is a chemical that causes headaches for about 1 person in every 15. It's a natural byproduct of certain strains of brewer's yeast, not something that is added to the beer. Switching to the products of a different brewery that uses a different strain of yeast for their fermentation will often clear up the problem.

Even though the breweries that have this difficulty are aware of it, they don't change their yeast because doing so would also change the flavor of their beer.

I should mention that every strain of brewer's yeast produces this chemical byproduct, but only a few of them have it at such a high level that it affects people. The Anheuser-Busch breweries just happen to be one of the highest.I quit Bud a long time ago because of the headaches (at the time, I had no idea about the yeast theory). I switched to various light beers, depending on my mood. Seemed to me I could drink light beer with almost no ill effects, until recently. Well, Coors Light (which most of my friends say is next to water) was the beer of choice for lunch yesterday that lead to me feeling as if my skull was being squeezed like a bearing in a press.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an every day drinker. I don't "need" a beer when I get home from a hard* day's work, but I do like to drink a chilly beverage here & there. But after this last spell, I'm about to give it up...

*(the term 'hard' is loosely defined here :D)

maddjack
12-20-2008, 11:24 AM
I only get the headaches on certain brands,go figure ,but yeah it sucks,esp if like me ,you really enjoy beer

Darth Lefty
12-20-2008, 12:12 PM
I homebrew and I can tell you that there are about a hundred varieties of yeast just for sale to us. And they all make a wide variety of chemicals that are not alcohol. Most of these get made early in fermentation, and the yeast eat them again later when the easy-to-eat sugars get scarce. Stuff left behind - like whatever causes the headaches, or the esters that make fruity tastes in ale - are things the yeast didn't get a chance to eat before they nearly starve and go into hibernation. Which things they eat before they hibernate is a function of the yeast strain and changes the final taste. This is simply a function of what beer is, there's no use pointing at Anheuser-Busch and calling them at-fault for it. They keep their yeast strain because they want their consistent flavor. If they changed the yeast it wouldn't be Bud any more. You can get it in any other fermented thing that's not too fermented or distilled, including wine, cider, mead... but again it's not going to happen every time either.

Here's a good summary I found http://cdavies.wordpress.com/2007/03/27/beer-allergies/

Incidentally I got to try that Bud American Ale last night for the first time. Pretty dull but inoffensive. The malt profile one step above unnoticeable, the hops are nearly absent, but the fruity tones are pretty good. If you like Bud you will find it good and might step into the larger beer world... if you like SNPA you will probably stick with SNPA.

gti20vturbo
12-20-2008, 01:35 PM
I can get a headach from one can of Bud, in fact I will have a headach before I finish it. On the other hand I can drink homebrew all night and get completely crap faced and have no headach at all. Go figure.

tommylikesbeer
12-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Beer doesn't give me a headach , but if I drink wine, a teaspoon or a bottle, it gives me a killer headach.

Bear on a bicycle
12-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Well Tommy, I see that you like beer. What's your brand?

tommylikesbeer
12-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey Bear, I drink Yuengling most times ,but just about any that's not too dark. You? Tommy

Bear on a bicycle
12-20-2008, 06:10 PM
I normally drink Coors Light or Bud Light. Never tried Yuengling. I've had many others, but I keep coming back to the American standards. Of course, it also depends on the group I'm with. Some like the American stuff, others like the imports. I'm not as picky about the brand as I am about having it in glass. For some reason, I don't care for drinking from a can any more.

The Gorilla
12-20-2008, 06:17 PM
I prefer alcohol fermented from potatoes or cacti. Never had a hangover in my life.

tommylikesbeer
12-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Bear, Yuengling is an American Beer, in fact ist's America's oldest Brewery. It's from Pottsville, PA. I drink the traditional lager but they have others. Tommy

maddjack
12-21-2008, 06:51 AM
My favorite is Sam Adams(most of the brews( lager or darks) they make) and a lot of imported German beer,never get headaches off any of those.,Some labatts too,can't stand Yuengling even tho its a Pa brewery,nor iron city.Strabb is fine with me,the Dark special my favorite from them

Bear on a bicycle
12-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Bear, Yuengling is an American Beer, in fact ist's America's oldest Brewery. It's from Pottsville, PA. I drink the traditional lager but they have others. Tommy

I googled it last night. I've heard of it, but haven't seen it here. Turns out, they only distribute it to so many states. As far as I know, we don't get it here in Texas. Wouldn't mind trying it, though.

My favorite is Sam Adams(most of the brews( lager or darks) they make) and a lot of imported German beer,never get headaches off any of those.,Some labatts too,can't stand Yuengling even tho its a Pa brewery,nor iron city.Strabb is fine with me,the Dark special my favorite from them

Not a big fan of Sam Adams. The Light is not to bad, but not something I would drink on a regular basis. I don't care for the darker beers. I like Shiner Blonde & Shiner Light. They're a south Texas brewer.

http://www.shiner.com/main.php

Darth Lefty
12-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Sam Adams is really hoppy for a lager. I used to like it but tapered off. I do like the Sam Adams Light, which is not really a light beer but a lager with a very complex malt mix.

Bear, try Paulaner Pilsner

Bear on a bicycle
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Sam Adams is really hoppy for a lager. I used to like it but tapered off. I do like the Sam Adams Light, which is not really a light beer but a lager with a very complex malt mix.

Bear, try Paulaner Pilsner

I'll have to give it a try...

:thumb:

xprovince
12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I have a couple of friends that have started to have issues with drinking beer, either it's the yeast or the barley ... I don't seem to get headache but its not a surprise that more and more people are getting intolerances to these things, Homebrew is the way to go you can find a beer or ale that you can handle with no pain ... I myself drink Gin and ice , I dont get hang-overs or headaches because there is no sugar..

Bear on a bicycle
12-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Gin? Doesn't gin taste like pine?

:D

Bicyclebob
12-22-2008, 09:01 PM
You can never go wrong with good Tequila. I prefer the amber colored Patron. Plus it makes my wife's clothes fall off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maddjack
12-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Well i usally drink german beers so I guess I like the stronger flavors, favorites are Hocker Spchorr,Hofbrau munchen,and Augustiner ,Sam Adams is as close to any of those as i can find domestic easily

Bear on a bicycle
12-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Well i usally drink german beers so I guess I like the stronger flavors, favorites are Hocker Spchorr,Hofbrau munchen,and Augustiner ,Sam Adams is as close to any of those as i can find domestic easily

Clearing your throat?? :D

My Firefox spell checker is going crazy with those brands... :D:D

I'm sure there'll be some type of swill at 'Christmas with the In-laws' tomorrow. Maybe I'll pick up something different at the local package store & see how that goes.

By the way, Merry Christmas everybody!

:cheers:

maddjack
12-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Clearing your throat?? :D

My Firefox spell checker is going crazy with those brands... :D:D

I'm sure there'll be some type of swill at 'Christmas with the In-laws' tomorrow. Maybe I'll pick up something different at the local package store & see how that goes.

By the way, Merry Christmas everybody!

:cheers:You may have to switch to the Rosetta stone version;)

MeAndyD
01-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey Bear, were you drinking the beer on tap or out of bottles? I worked for Coors and then Miller doing marketing, promotions and special events for years. I have drank more beer than should be humanly possible so i speak from experience, lots and lots of beer guzzling hung over experience. The beer you get in a bottle and the beer that comes from a keg are NOT treated the same when it comes time to put then in their respective packaging. beer in a bottle gets a little more love as far as pasteurization goes and will give you (or at least me and a whole bunch of other people i know) less of a head ache or hangover if you do decide to over indulge. This treatment also extends the life of the beer in a bottle by double that of beer in a keg. Life span of a domestic lager in a brown or green bottle is about 110 days if at steady temps, longer if you keep it cold and in the dark less if it comes in a clear bottle. Kegs must be kept cold and even then the expiration date is only pushed to about 60 days. Worse case scenario: you have developed an allergy to the hops. try a light hops beer along the lines of Corona and see if that still gives you the headache.

KUDZOO
01-21-2009, 03:40 PM
seems that regular Bud does it to me !!.....changed to Bud Lite seems to work for me. :):)

Bear on a bicycle
01-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey Bear, were you drinking the beer on tap or out of bottles? I worked for Coors and then Miller doing marketing, promotions and special events for years. I have drank more beer than should be humanly possible so i speak from experience, lots and lots of beer guzzling hung over experience. The beer you get in a bottle and the beer that comes from a keg are NOT treated the same when it comes time to put then in their respective packaging. beer in a bottle gets a little more love as far as pasteurization goes and will give you (or at least me and a whole bunch of other people i know) less of a head ache or hangover if you do decide to over indulge. This treatment also extends the life of the beer in a bottle by double that of beer in a keg. Life span of a domestic lager in a brown or green bottle is about 110 days if at steady temps, longer if you keep it cold and in the dark less if it comes in a clear bottle. Kegs must be kept cold and even then the expiration date is only pushed to about 60 days. Worse case scenario: you have developed an allergy to the hops. try a light hops beer along the lines of Corona and see if that still gives you the headache.

I gave up keg beer a LONG time ago. It just didn't taste as good to me as bottled or canned beer. I gave up cans not too long after that because I just like drinking beer from a bottle better. I have had only 2 beers since I began this thread (whine?), both Bud Lights at a friend's house on the same day over the course of a couple of hours. Only a slight headache afterward. No beer, or any alcohol for that matter, since.

Am I wrong in assuming the lighter the color (colour for our Euro friends :D) of the beer, the less the hops? Or do I have to (God forbid) read the labels? I may grab a 6 pack of Corona this weekend & give it a try...

Thanks!

furley
01-21-2009, 09:07 PM
I've heard of people being allergic to beer, that would suck! Thank the lord for spiced rum and coke. I particularily like "Sailor Jerry".
________
Yamaha rd48 specifications (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_RD48)

Bear on a bicycle
01-21-2009, 10:00 PM
I've heard of people being allergic to beer, that would suck! Thank the lord for spiced rum and coke. I particularily like "Sailor Jerry".

Why, what's he do for you that's so special??

:D

MeAndyD
01-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey Bear, you can only tell how much hops is in a beer by tasting it. The color is usually determined by the amount of roasting the barley took to get to malt. the longer you roast it, the darker the malt, the darker the beer. As always there are exceptions to the rule. Hops is going to give the beer a lot of bite or what is described almost as a bitter flavor. I hope this helps, it would be my own personal hell not to be able to enjoy a beer or ten.