NEW 2012 1000cc VERSYS! [Archive] - Kawasaki Versys Forum

: NEW 2012 1000cc VERSYS!

Pages : [1] 2

MTS
07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't need the extra power and I like the MPG that the 650 gives me! I will not be upgrading to the 2012! I had a great ride today what a bike!:badidea:

Bear on a bicycle
07-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Do you have some info about said 1000cc Versys or are you just sayin?

tallchristian
07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Since this is my first bike I have nothing to compare it to. For some reason I feel like a spoiled kid by having this as my first bike. I've had my license for a week and have gone riding every day except one because of a thunderstorm. It's almost 100 degrees outside and I'm getting ready to go out right now. The bike is just amazing. It's so much fun to ride. I almost feel guilty towards my car because I only use it when I have to (which was kind of the point anyway).

I couldn't agree more MTS, "what a bike"!

MTS
07-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Do you have some info about said 1000cc Versys or are you just sayin?

I have googled it and read hype only! I have no proof that they are really going to the 1000cc! And I am not going to say I read it on the internet that would be stupid! It could all be... BS! :eek:

Bear on a bicycle
07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Ah..... I see......

:thumb:

KawiVA76
07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Now see in my book this is borderline unforgivable. But being Bear has gone with "ahh....I see..." I'll just stay quiet and await judgment :)

Mike

Bear on a bicycle
07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Now see in my book this is borderline unforgivable. But being Bear has gone with "ahh....I see..." I'll just stay quiet and await judgment :)

Mike

I'm assuming because you know there is no 1000cc Versys? We go through this every so often. There are pics floating around somewhere....

alekkas
07-11-2011, 09:20 PM
The 1000 versys is there for the making. Take the z1000, tune for even more low end torque giving up a little high rev buzz. (shouldn't be hard to do cause it is already such a smooth low end engine). That is a 4 cyl that is not too wide for this application.

Next, a little suspension extension and beef. Different tires and seat. Bigger shield than the ninja and more upright peg position. Offer it with optional givi bags for the touring version.

Problem is, the Vstrom 1000 didn't sell but the weestrom still does. So, there may not be much of a market for a US 1 liter inbetween bike....

KawiVA76
07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Well aware that there is no 1k cc Versys. But everytime I see the thread pop up there's just that glimmer of hope. I'll open the subject and there will be a picture and a link to an actual press release that it's arrived. I was more referencing the transgression of misleading people that a 1000cc Versys was coming :). Oh well, lol

Mike

MTS
07-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey I did see a photo and it looked like a black 2010 650 V to me, not a 1000cc! Never meant to mislead. I really don't know what kawi is doing. I'm just sayin I would still want the 650cc myself. :sorry: :closed:

hikewithmike
07-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Since this is my first bike I have nothing to compare it to. For some reason I feel like a spoiled kid by having this as my first bike. I've had my license for a week and have gone riding every day except one because of a thunderstorm. It's almost 100 degrees outside and I'm getting ready to go out right now. The bike is just amazing. It's so much fun to ride. I almost feel guilty towards my car because I only use it when I have to (which was kind of the point anyway).

I couldn't agree more MTS, "what a bike"!

My V is my first bike as well. Just clocked 30K on it!!!

MTS
07-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I agree with you guys! This is my first bike like this (had cruisers and dirt) and I'm like a kid too! It brings the fun kid out of you! Awesome!!:D

emdavis197
07-12-2011, 12:14 PM
IMO an 800cc twin or triple would be the perfect next step for the Versys. I think there would be much more of a market for that type of powerplant than a 4 cylinder liter engine. I love the 650 but on the slab it has me longing for about 20 more ponies. So, if Kawi is reading this:

Liter = too big
650cc = a tad too small
800cc = just right!

Eric

kiwi 41
07-12-2011, 02:31 PM
IMO an 800cc twin or triple would be the perfect next step for the Versys.
Liter = too big
650cc = a tad too small
800cc = just right!

Eric

A 800cc twin for Versys would get my vote and maybe my a excuse for a upgrade from my fast orange steed.

Pegasus
07-12-2011, 03:02 PM
An 800cc Versys gets my vote as well. 1000cc would be overkill and also position it with some stiff competition. An 800cc Versys would provide that extra passing power and lower cruising RPM as well as cheaper insurance. At 800cc it would be positioned against the Triumph and BMW. I am sure Kawasaki could provide a better bike than the BMW at a lower cost, cheaper maintenance and Kawasaki has a significantly larger dealer network. The Triumph is a good bike but also suffers from a much smaller dealer network. It also has a 19 inch front wheel which limits the rubber available. Kawasaki should give up the pretense of any actual off road capability and concentrate on making a better small light weight tourer. The only bike I ever had that was as good as the Versys was a TDM850. If Yamaha ever imported the 900 I would be in line for one in a minute. Note to Kawasaki, keep the under engine exhaust and lower the center of gravity. When you release it have doodads and farkles galore available from day one. If you want to win best bike of the year again and beat the pants of the competition, make this bike.

cmoreride
07-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe the thread title would have been better with a
question mark
at the end, rather than an
explamation mark.

dallasdon
07-12-2011, 03:44 PM
IMO an 800cc twin or triple would be the perfect next step for the Versys. I think there would be much more of a market for that type of powerplant than a 4 cylinder liter engine. I love the 650 but on the slab it has me longing for about 20 more ponies. So, if Kawi is reading this:

Liter = too big
650cc = a tad too small
800cc = just right!

Eric

I agree totally! 800cc is just right.

dallasdon
07-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Liter = too big
650cc = a tad too small
800cc = just right!

Eric

I agree totally! 800cc is just right. I wonder if there is enough meat in the 650cc cylinders to kick it up to 800cc? That way they would not have to modify anything else.

Pegasus
07-12-2011, 05:12 PM
There is no way to bore out the cylinders. If you look at a picture of the cylinders they are already almost touching. To stroke the motor would cost almost as much as just starting from scratch with a new design.

sharrison56
07-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Don't they already have a 750cc engine in something in Europe?

stagehand38
07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
And I just got in from a 'invite only', Kawasaki ride & ride day at the Old FoMoCo proving grounds featuring the NEW Versys 900 !!!!!!!!!

Now how Ironic is that!!!!!!!

MADE YA LOOK!!!!!!!!!

spiderman
07-12-2011, 08:18 PM
I would buy an 800 or 1000 either one. I look at the Ninja 1000 from time to time but the 35mpg is just a killer for me. Still, I'd like to have some more power when fully loaded on the highway all day. For shorter and lighter trips the bike is fine as it is.

2daMax
07-12-2011, 10:47 PM
An 800 tune to the likes of the BMW 800GS would be nice. The 800GS has better fuel mileage than the V due to the lower RPM and higher low end torque.

alekkas
07-12-2011, 11:52 PM
I don't see where an 800 makes sense - from a corporate point of view. That 650 is a great engine at a great price point. An 800 seems a bit too close to market very differently. We'll see what the FZ8 does with sales.

The liter engine is great and is getting tons of good press. I see them building off that before creating an entirely new engine for just one bike.

For street use, Kawai seems to develop a good engine and build multiple models off that. Probably more important to corporate is that each engine is at a very specific price point. Like the past ninja 500 / vulcan 500. The current 650 models. The current 1000 models. The 14 models. All the cruisers share the 900 and 1700. Are the 2k's dead? Other than the requisite racer 600 and 1000, the only single pourpose street engine I can think of is the Ninja 250.

80-watt Hamster
07-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Don't they already have a 750cc engine in something in Europe?

They do: the four-banger in the Z750. It's an underbore Z1000/ZX-9 motor, says this article: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/kawasaki-z750-15709.html

MTS
07-13-2011, 12:59 PM
And I just got in from a 'invite only', Kawasaki ride & ride day at the Old FoMoCo proving grounds featuring the NEW Versys 900 !!!!!!!!!

MADE YA LOOK!!!!!!!!!

Dude that is harsh!!! :funnypost:

MTS
07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't see where an 800 makes sense - from a corporate point of view. That 650 is a great engine at a great price point. An 800 seems a bit too close to market very differently. We'll see what the FZ8 does with sales.

The liter engine is great and is getting tons of good press. I see them building off that before creating an entirely new engine for just one bike.

For street use, Kawai seems to develop a good engine and build multiple models off that. Probably more important to corporate is that each engine is at a very specific price point. Like the past ninja 500 / vulcan 500. The current 650 models. The current 1000 models. The 14 models. All the cruisers share the 900 and 1700. Are the 2k's dead? Other than the requisite racer 600 and 1000, the only single pourpose street engine I can think of is the Ninja 250.

I am not sure about the 2Ks, but an 800 would be more lbs?? and I like the less lbs of the V??

alekkas
07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
For what it's worth, I was just reading about the FZ8 in cycle world's buyer guide and thought of this thread. They say it is a sleeved down FZ1 motor with a different head and pistons. I would imagine that is a lot less cost than a total redesign. They don't mention other changes to allow for the $2000 less retail price.

So, maybe the same job done to the Z1000 engine does have some merits and the 800 can exist....

80-watt Hamster
07-13-2011, 02:16 PM
For what it's worth, I was just reading about the FZ8 in cycle world's buyer guide and thought of this thread. They say it is a sleeved down FZ1 motor with a different head and pistons. I would imagine that is a lot less cost than a total redesign. They don't mention other changes to allow for the $2000 less retail price.

So, maybe the same job done to the Z1000 engine does have some merits and the 800 can exist....

Kawasaki's already done this, but in a 750 (see post #25).

The FZ8 undercuts the FZ1 by as much as it does due to less fancy suspension and other minor decontenting, and in all likelihood simply less margin.

BAMF
07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
:thumbdown:this is my least favorite thread...ever

I keep seeing it and getting excited only to be let down by you goons talkin about what could be.....:nono::blah:

RockyMoto
07-13-2011, 06:16 PM

And that engine has been around in its basic configuration for almost 25 years....

Pegasus
07-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Personally I don't care for 4 cylinder engines. Maybe just cause i grew up with twins but 4's always seem just a little boring to me. Too refined. I want an 800cc vertical twin. Granted, V-twins are smoother generally but they are harder to package, maintain, and cost more.

MTS
07-15-2011, 10:19 AM
I understand what alot of V owners are sayin about how an 800 would be perfect. I'm just not sure. Lbs and MPG? Lets face it! A guy would have to get on one and see how it rides. :thumb:

emdavis197
07-15-2011, 11:25 AM
I understand what alot of V owners are sayin about how an 800 would be perfect. I'm just not sure. Lbs and MPG? Lets face it! A guy would have to get on one and see how it rides. :thumb:

It works well for Triumph!

rallyhound
07-15-2011, 05:51 PM

MADE YA LOOK!!!!!!!!!.

I don't know where you've been hiding but we've had the Versys 1000 in Minnesota for over 3 months now.
The new Touratech catalog has 6 pages of stuff for the new bike already with more promised.
I have over 2500 miles on mine so far with only a minor oil leak to complain about.. I took it to the dealer and they assured me that it leaked only because I used synthetic oil when it clearly states in the owners manual that only Caster oil is specified for the new engine due to it's 5 valve hemi combustion chamber.

:topsecret:

alekkas
07-15-2011, 09:12 PM

The new Touratech catalog has 6 pages of stuff for the new bike already with more promised.

I have over 2500 miles on mine so far with only a minor oil leak to complain about..

:topsecret:

Wow, tons of accessories and an oil leak. They partnered with Harley?

rponiarski
07-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Liter = too big
650cc = a tad too small
800cc = just right!

Eric

+! :thumb:

dxhFZ
07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Time to put the V on the map....paralell twin 1200 cc engine....toss it right in the crosshairs of the super tenere....thats about all you'd have to compete against :thumb:

MTS
07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Time to put the V on the map....paralell twin 1200 cc engine....toss it right in the crosshairs of the super tenere....thats about all you'd have to compete against :thumb:

+! :thumb:

I would have to agree although what would be wrong with a 650, 800, and a 1200 V? :feedback: I am impressed with the super tenere's lbs. I think its like 545lbs. Thats not bad!! :thumb: Would love to ride one? Anyone ride one yet???

Boricua
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Tenere is in the same class as the BWM GS models. The Versys is a street bike. A very capable one, but a street bike nonetheless. I use mine as a light tourer. With that in mind my upgrade target model would be the BMW F800 in R or ST trim. Or the Standard Tiger (not the XC).

However, after a test ride in a ninja 1000 an 800 Versys might overlap a little too much. A Ninja 1000 can be fitted with a bar riser to give it similar ergo's. Unless Kawi can get a larger Versys at the same price point as the current one without eroding their margin. I do not believe it would make business sense to give it a larger engine.

gti20vturbo
07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Kawasaki just needs to build a better KLR. Toss out that gutless 650 single and pup a 700 to 800cc twin in there with a better suspension. I'm not sure a Versys in street trim with a larger engine makes any sense. Just buy the Z1000 if that's what you want (that's what I should have done). I actually fear the Versys could be on its way out. I just don't see any on the road. I see a lot of Ninja 650s and ER6Ns but NO Versys whatsoever.

kiwi 41
07-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Just buy the Z1000 if that's what you want (that's what I should have done). I actually fear the Versys could be on its way out. I just don't see any on the road. I see a lot of Ninja 650s and ER6Ns but NO Versys whatsoever.

I with you on that, if I wanted a bigger versys would get the Z1000SX and bring the bars up and back to give me more upright riding postion but at the moment the v has got more than enough firepower for my roads.

MTS
07-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Wow, I did not know you could come up with bars on the Z1000 and have it set up just like a V. I see the overlap thing you are talking about Boricua.
And maybe gti20 you are right? Never thought this might be the end of the V, but it could be? I am not sorry I bought my V though! Just got back from great ride! :thumb:

gti20vturbo
07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Never thought this might be the end of the V, but it could be?

I hope not, its a cool bike that handles very nicely.

Boricua
07-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Based on overseas sales I do not think we can count the Versys out for a while. I also see a lot of them around here in CO. Maybe not as many as Ninja 650's but more than er6n's. US market for bikes is very polarized. You ride one of three kinds.

Fat Cruisers
Crotch rockets
Ginormous tourers

In the US most riders use their bikes as entertainment not necesarily as transportation. As such image, most of the time is the deciding factor. The versys just like many of the other sensible upright standards. Like the non XC Tiger, non GS F800, NV700, MANA 850 have a hard time finding its market.

Until my daugther finishes college I'm sticking with the Versys I have . Lately I've been spending significant time riding two up with my wife. Once free of the college financial burden I think I'm letting my wife pick the upgrade. Why would I ever let me wife pick my next bike?

She likes the BMW K 1300 and the Multistrada :yeahsmile:

twowheeladdict
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I personally would not want a 1000CC Versys. I chose the Versys over the 1000 cc bikes I test rode. Now an 800 or 1000 cc Concours with all the amenities and carrying capacity and I would be all over that bike. Especially if they add electronic cruise control. The current Concours is a little too wide at the fuel tank and I never would ride that style bike two up so I don't need the extra power with the reduced fuel economy.

Boricua
07-26-2011, 11:37 PM
A few weeks ago I had the chance to test ride a C14 and A Ninja 1000 back to back over the same route. The features of the connie and the ridiculous amount of power really impressed me. However, something did not feel right. Not sure if it was the ergos or the size of the bike. The ninja on the other hand felt right immediately out of the gate. While the connie makes a very convincing case the Ninja fun factor was way up where it needs to be. Depending on how things go I will probably be doing a couple of test rides two up to see how my pillion feels about it.

Unless of course she insists on the k1300 or the multistrada.

Motopsycho
07-26-2011, 11:58 PM
http://home.freeuk.com/jrknight/smileys/postpics.gif

alekkas
07-27-2011, 12:23 AM
I personally would not want a 1000CC Versys. I chose the Versys over the 1000 cc bikes I test rode. Now an 800 or 1000 cc Concours with all the amenities and carrying capacity and I would be all over that bike. Especially if they add electronic cruise control. The current Concours is a little too wide at the fuel tank and I never would ride that style bike two up so I don't need the extra power with the reduced fuel economy.

That is exactly what V Strom purchasers decided. The price, flickability, mpg, and enough power from the 650 ended the 1000.

I always thought the Versys 1000 would work with the current 4 cylinder, but GTI is right. It is a Z1000. UNLESS, a suspension with beef accompanies - but then, there goes the price point.

twowheeladdict
07-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Based on overseas sales I do not think we can count the Versys out for a while. I also see a lot of them around here in CO. Maybe not as many as Ninja 650's but more than er6n's. US market for bikes is very polarized. You ride one of three kinds.

Fat Cruisers
Crotch rockets
Ginormous tourers

Why would I ever let me wife pick my next bike?

She likes the BMW K 1300 and the Multistrada :yeahsmile:

Don't let your wife on the back of a Gold Wing. Once they have tried the wing there is no going back.

before I started modding my Versys it still got called a Crotch Rocket. It is in the sport bike category after all.

Now folks don't know what to call it because most non rider only know the categories you mentioned. I guess I am just attracted to "Hybrid" bikes. The Versys is a Hybrid between sport bike and adventure bike. My Mean Streak is a Hybrid between a cruiser and a sport bike. My highly modified KLR 650 is a Hybrid between an enduro and adventure bike.

Boricua
07-27-2011, 01:43 PM
My wife already ruled out the gold wing. She says I do not have enough gray hair in my head to drive one. For her a gold wing is a retiree ride. This is her decision criteria:

No Harleys (by that she mean cruisers) . She does not like tatoos, gray hair, and beer bellies :) . She also think we will look ridiculous wearing touring gear on one and she does not like the look of leather and chains. She's not into the Harley life style marketing thing.

No gold wings. We are too young and too poor for retirement.

No crotch rockets. By crotch rocket we do not mean sport bikes we mean race replicas. I'm too old and do not carry enough life insurance. Besides I look silly in race leathers same problem when I wear a wet suit to go scuba diving.

No adventure bikes. No we are not riding in Patagonia or in the Gobi desert. There are too many paved roads to explore to go off them and get killed.

That kind of narrow the field and makes the decision a lot easier.

MTS
07-27-2011, 05:37 PM
http://home.freeuk.com/jrknight/smileys/postpics.gif

Dude what are you talking about? Like photos of the bikes we are talking about? We all know what they look like.
Or do you mean the photos of the 1000cc Versys because I was told its a fake. You can look at it if you google it!
Otherwise bikers just talkin about bikes here. Isn't that what we do on this forum and on these threads? :exactly::cheers:

MTS
07-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Boricua. . . . BMW K1300...:thumb: Nice bike!! And I'm with you on the harley thing. Love the bikes but not a harley dude. Have friends that eat sleep and live for them though? Very strange! I just don't get it! But to each their own! Ride and be free!!!:cheers:
And twowheel I know what you are sayin about the gold wings. Talk about smooth comfortable ride wow!

sharrison56
07-27-2011, 06:55 PM
A few weeks ago I had the chance to test ride a C14 and A Ninja 1000 back to back over the same route. The features of the connie and the ridiculous amount of power really impressed me. However, something did not feel right. Not sure if it was the ergos or the size of the bike. The ninja on the other hand felt right immediately out of the gate. While the connie makes a very convincing case the Ninja fun factor was way up where it needs to be. Depending on how things go I will probably be doing a couple of test rides two up to see how my pillion feels about it.

Unless of course she insists on the k1300 or the multistrada.

I rode the same two bikes at a Kawasaki ride event and felt the same way. I am sure the C14 would grow on you but I really liked the Ninja 1000 right off. I really didn't get a chance to test the power, but I liked the ride.

Boricua
07-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Our ticket to ride test ride included a short section of superslab a couple of miles of suburban two lane blacktop, and a few miles of twisties. When I tested the Ninja, the gal leading the group was a local that knew the rode very well so we got to, to put it mildly, questionably legal speed. Nothing too rad just plain fun. I admit that compared to the versys, well can't really compare it, the Ninja really showed that is has twice the power. What I like the most if that it never felt scary. The handling was and power delivery was so good that it made me feel very comfortable. Just like the Versys wher I first start riding it.

jamboa
07-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Wow, I did not know you could come up with bars on the Z1000 and have it set up just like a V. I see the overlap thing you are talking about Boricua.
And maybe gti20 you are right? Never thought this might be the end of the V, but it could be? I am not sorry I bought my V though! Just got back from great ride! :thumb:
Any bike with a handlebar can easily be given a higher or lower riding position. The Z1000 would still not be set up just like the Versys but it would be closer. California Scientific makes a higher windscreen for the Z1000 that makes it almost as ugly as the Versys. Yea I like ugly. One man's ugly is another man's unique different look.
I just bought my 56th bike. It was a used B King to go along with the Versys and Triumph Bonnie. All have been modded the way I like them.

rponiarski
08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
A few weeks ago I had the chance to test ride a C14 and A Ninja 1000 back to back over the same route. The features of the connie and the ridiculous amount of power really impressed me. However, something did not feel right. Not sure if it was the ergos or the size of the bike. The ninja on the other hand felt right immediately out of the gate. While the connie makes a very convincing case the Ninja fun factor was way up where it needs to be.

You liked the way the Ninja felt? Surprized.:confused: I just took some demo rides yesterday, with the C14, Ninja 1000 and Z1000 as the three rides, so I was able to go back to back on all three.

The Connie is just too huge, but its power is awesome as well. Felt pretty good riding it, but for my normal everyday ride it is just too big.

I was looking forward to the Ninja as it has had great write ups and some friends of mine really liked it when they tried it. But I was very disappointed. I just could not get comfortable on the bike. Not that the power bothered me (I have owned ZRX 1200s and FZ-1s in the past, so a liter bike is nothing new), just never felt that the bike and I were in sync. And I was not alone. Maybe it was how the bikes were set up by the demo crew, but a lot of people just didn't like the way the Ninja felt or rode.

Then came the Z1000 and it was a totally different story!:D What a machine. It almost seemed telepathic and when I wanted to curve one way or another, it was just a matter of thinking and there I went. Up to about 70mph the wind was tolerable, over that a larger windscreen would be better, but that is simple to get in the aftermarket. It will be my next bike, no matter what. Amazing bike! :loveeyes:

lokto7
08-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Versys will come with 1000cc in 2012. More info will come at late Sept. That's all I got from dealer somewhere in SE Asia.

buffamazon
08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
In the US most riders use their bikes as entertainment not necesarily as transportation. As such image, most of the time is the deciding factor. The versys just like many of the other sensible upright standards. Like the non XC Tiger, non GS F800, NV700, MANA 850 have a hard time finding its market.

That is the pure truth. I wonder how many of us Versys riders are REALLY riding our bikes, not using them as garage ornaments.

sharrison56
08-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I ride mine to work most days and generally only drive when the weather is bad or I need a car for something. Looks like we need a poll!

eparker202
08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
I dont see a 1000cc versys coming to the USA (maybe other markets where the 650 versys is more popular). However, i would like to see and believe there is a market for a klr650 with the versys motor. You could pretty much get rid of the current motor or put it in a klx650 to compete for offroad status with the dr650 and other big offroad thumpers. the klr650 with the versys motor would compete with the tiger 800xc and bmw 650 twin that is really an 800. maybe sell it for the same price as the versys (think tiger 800xc and tiger 800). Now Kawasaki has competitive models with 3-5 grand lower entry prices and a little less power 15-20hp.

I sold my versys and bought a klr because i wanted even more versatility. I loved the versys, but i needed something that better fit my needs without having multiple bikes (more leg room, longer suspension, better wind/weather protection, range, and luggage capacity).

but i would be the first one lined up for a versys powered klr650.

80-watt Hamster
08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I wonder how many of us Versys riders are REALLY riding our bikes, not using them as garage ornaments.

Mine ends up on the road nine days out of ten between April and October. That said, I don't usually end up going very far, so it has fewer than 10k on it in just under two years.

MTS
08-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Versys will come with 1000cc in 2012. More info will come at late Sept. That's all I got from dealer somewhere in SE Asia.

That is the pure truth. I wonder how many of us Versys riders are REALLY riding our bikes, not using them as garage ornaments.

Wow thanks for the info lokoto7!!! I only read about the 1000cc V when I googled it and looked at the photos. Some of the riders on this forum said it was all fake. Not sure if we will see it here in US.

Buffamazon, you have an excellent point! I ride for fun! The winters here are very bad out of the question for riding. I love to ride but I get to pick my time and place. Its like my mediation! Freedom!!
But if I lived in a place with no ice on the streets in the winter??

2daMax
08-19-2011, 01:21 AM
I have also heard from my dealer, come November 2011, the 1000cc Versys will be unleashed. So far, no spy shots or specs available except that it is 1000cc and it is a Versys.

kiwi 41
08-19-2011, 01:24 AM
I have also heard from my dealer, come November 2011, the 1000cc Versys will be unleashed. So far, no spy shots or specs available except that it is 1000cc and it is a Versys.

Perfect, wanted a 1000cc to go with my 650cc, im sold

Boricua
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Mine ends up on the road nine days out of ten between April and October. That said, I don't usually end up going very far, so it has fewer than 10k on it in just under two years.

I commute to work on it everyday weather allows. I do about two weekend day 150 + mile rides a month may to oct, and at least one multiday 1000+ mile ride a year.

Looking to see if I can pull two multiday rides next summer.

CharlestonADV
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Although my '06 H-D VRSCR Street Rod spends a lot of time in my garage, I enjoy unleashing it at times for rides through the nearby national forest. My '09 V, however, is ridden almost every day.

invader
08-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Two 2012 Versys 1000 spy photos I managed to snag show part of cowling, engine and large radiator, and new Z750R style exhaust outlet: :topsecret:

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8431/versys1000.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/versys1000.jpg/) http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6782/versys1000exh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/versys1000exh.jpg/)

sharrison56
08-20-2011, 08:09 AM
For those of use that would like a little more grunt from our Vs a 750 or 800 would be perfect. Somthing that could still be a twin and not a lot heavier. There seem to be enough 1000cc bikes in the line-up.

Ivan V
08-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Two 2012 Versys 1000 spy photos I managed to snag show part of cowling, engine and large radiator, and new Z750R style exhaust outlet: :topsecret:

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8431/versys1000.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/versys1000.jpg/) http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6782/versys1000exh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/versys1000exh.jpg/)

Super secret research facility in the wilderness of Ontario?

I'm indifferent towards the possible 1l Versys.
For what I'm using this bike it wouldn't make any benefit.

I wouldn't mind an enduro-ish Versys along the lines of Tiger XC and 800GS but half as expensive.

After
08-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't mind an enduro-ish Versys along the lines of Tiger XC and 800GS but half as expensive.

ΝΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟΟ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

PLZ Akashi close your ears!!!!:forgetit::spam::badidea:

Versys MUST always be a ''heavy supermoto'', a 17'' wheeler

If there gonna be a ''parallel'' model with 19'' or 21'' wheel, this is not a problem, but if there will be only one model, they must not change lane, or they will lose me

Triumph transformed tiger 1050 to a boring ''wanna be on-off'' bike, cause they are SEARCHING customers, they want the BMW'S customers
Kawasaki KNOWS what they want, that's why kawasaki has the most fanatics of all Japanese industries

Ivan V
08-20-2011, 03:24 PM
After,
I agree with you in principal but it's not that black and white.
I would love to have a specific bike for the road, track and enduro riding but it's not possible in my case. One bike that does all those things a little isn't a bad thing.

After
08-20-2011, 05:45 PM
After,
I agree with you in principal but it's not that black and white.
I would love to have a specific bike for the road, track and enduro riding but it's not possible in my case. One bike that does all those things a little isn't a bad thing.

That is Versys, only the off road driving is difficult not because it can't do it, but you feel sorry for it
I would like a paraller production 19'' wheeler versys thought, cause i know that the bike will be good off road too, a member of this forum can guarandee that

Feral Donkey
08-20-2011, 07:49 PM
With the idea of the 1000 V in mind, I test rode a Super Tenere last week. That was very interesting. I thought it was going to be a Verseys on steroids but it wasn't. It's certainly not an off road bike by any stretch of the imagination. You might get away with flat, groomed gravel. The first gear is so tall you'd never be able to crawl over rocks or anything of the sort. Since it's shaft drive you can't change the sprockets to get the gearing you want. 575 pounds is a little stout for me too. It makes funny vibrations at different rpms. The seat feels funny. You can feel little ledges in it. It's got lots of power and handles ok. Too many gee-gaws though. They're trying too hard to make a poser bike that appeals to the BMW nerds so they can stand up on their foot pegs for no reason while wearing bright yellow vests. :p

Personally, I like the V the way it is. 750 or 800 wouldn't be bad but going too big transforms the bike into something its not.

After
08-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Super Tenere 1200 is 280 kilos(about 560 pounds i think)

You can forget off road riding just from that, except you are a masochist

CanadianFZ6
08-21-2011, 08:28 AM

If these are real pics and if the muffler is going to be located down low like that... A dual sport bike it ain't going to be.... Meaning, no more off road than the 650 V....

MTS
08-23-2011, 11:07 PM
This is the first time I have seen these photo's and I don't know what to think? Wow!
I just got back from a ride and I really like the V! What a fun bike to ride! Never ride my Shadow any more! :thumb::cheers:

robdogg
08-24-2011, 02:57 AM
I don't get why everyone thinks bigger is better. it's the stereotypical American myth. I sold my vstrom 1000 because it was too big and heavy. the 650 versys is light and nimble compared to liter sized bike and to me that flat out equates to more fun. and contrary to popular belief, a 19in wheel does not magically turn a bike in to an offroad bike. many falsely tout the vstrom 650 as being a better bike in the dirt simply for the fact that it has a 19in front wheel.. hogwash I say. the versys is lighter, shorter wheelbase, has a more responsive motor and better suspension the the vstrom 650. all factors that make it a better offroader in my book.

rcfield
08-24-2011, 08:26 AM
:clap:

3 plus to what robdogg says !

RCF

CanadianFZ6
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't get why everyone thinks bigger is better. it's the stereotypical American myth. I sold my vstrom 1000 because it was too big and heavy. the 650 versys is light and nimble compared to liter sized bike and to me that flat out equates to more fun. and contrary to popular belief, a 19in wheel does not magically turn a bike in to an offroad bike. many falsely tout the vstrom 650 as being a better bike in the dirt simply for the fact that it has a 19in front wheel.. hogwash I say. the versys is lighter, shorter wheelbase, has a more responsive motor and better suspension the the vstrom 650. all factors that make it a better offroader in my book.

I have had both ('09 650 Vstrom)... currently I have an 2010 Versys... You are correct about the Versys being lighter and more nimble than any version of the V-strom... However, I will disagree with you about the V-strom not being better off road bike... It is better (albeit a little heavier)... I do/have done, a lot of gravel roads and some dirt roads with both the Versys and the 650 V-strom... Hands down the V-strom is way more stable on the off pavement stuff... The Verys is a faster, quicker road bike, however...

Richard

stagehand38
08-24-2011, 09:36 AM
There is no dark side of the moon....in fact it's all dark.
BOGUS !!!!!!

robdogg
08-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I have had both ('09 650 Vstrom)... currently I have an 2010 Versys... You are correct about the Versys being lighter and more nimble than any version of the V-strom... However, I will disagree with you about the V-strom not being better off road bike... It is better (albeit a little heavier)... I do/have done, a lot of gravel roads and some dirt roads with both the Versys and the 650 V-strom... Hands down the V-strom is way more stable on the off pavement stuff... The Verys is a faster, quicker road bike, however...

Richard

hmm.. when I think of stability, I think in terms of a bikes ability to hold a solid (i.e. stable) line at speed on an interstate, not necessarily something I look for in an offroad machine.. a stable bike vs a nimble bike is generally one with a longer wheelbase, wider rims/tires (for a nice fat contact patch), and longer trail (increased rake).. all the opposite of what I want in a dirt bike.

When I ride dirt, I want light weight, quick turning, responsive throttle, good torque and decent suspension; I rarely ride in a straight line, always maneuvering around potholes and other obstacles, roosting out of corners etc. so stability is just not something that comes to mind for me when riding dirt.

now if by stability, you mean the ability for a bike to track well in gravel or something? that can be achieved by tire selection (admittedly slim for a 17in wheel), ensuring your fork tubes are flush with the top of the triple, maybe a steering damper or fork brace, but mostly lots of seat time.

MTS
08-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Well we are about two months away from knowing what really is going to be offered with the new V! Some in this thread have said they know one is more cc's. I will be watching to see who is right!! :goodluck: :topsecret:

lokto7
08-30-2011, 04:04 AM
both of 650 and 1000 will be offered.

rponiarski
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM

I am just wondering if they are going to stuff an inline 4 into the frame, or will they make a one liter twin. From what I recall, there is no bore room on the 650, but there is a lot of possibility to increase the stroke. That's why I see a 750 or 800 as a better bet than trying to get a liter inline 4 into a Versys style chasis...

Feral Donkey
08-30-2011, 01:25 PM
They may just tool up for a whole new engine. You never know. I'm with the 750-800cc people on this one.

jmlmjmjm
08-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Not a chance....

lokto7
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Not a chance....

650 will be discontinued? or just not in the US?

versman
08-30-2011, 10:24 PM
If they did make a 1000cc in-line 4 Versys it wouldn't handle near as good as the Versys. The gyro effect of the 650 motor is minimal compared to a in-line 4. The 650 is just plain fun and I am going to ride the wheels off mine, by far the best streetbike I have owned. The grass is always seems greener on the other side of the fence.

MTS
08-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Am with you 100% Versman!! Not looking for a 1000cc. 650cc is awesome! :cheers: Ride free and live long!!

zedseven50
08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
750 - 800cc for that extra bit of poke and I might change to one. 1000cc = too big for the V as it is. Btw, and forgive me if I've missed something, where is the evidence for all this 2012 1000cc hoo-har??:confused:

David RSparky3
08-31-2011, 08:22 AM
You made me look!

David

WT100
08-31-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm sure i'll have a "liter Bike" at some point but it won't be a V. What makes the KLE work is its use of agility and finesse to make us smile. Brute force is a whole other experience.

At most i could see an upsize to 750 / 800 ish hoping to go after the FZ8. Or how bout a ER-8n. Since the 6 went over so well. :)

jmlmjmjm
08-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Not a chance....

650 will be discontinued? or just not in the US?

I am saying there will not be a 1000cc Versys.

Anywhere.

MTS
08-31-2011, 02:58 PM
You may be right John! And to you zedseven50 look at what was sent in and the :topsecret: spy photos. Why haven't they released what the plan is for the 2012? :topsecret::interesting: ???

Madone1
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
I am saying there will not be a 1000cc Versys.

Anywhere.

+1. I'm waiting for a 1000cc Versys the same way I am waiting for a new Van Halen album and I don't see either of those happening any time soon, if ever.

MTS
08-31-2011, 07:54 PM
There is no dark side of the moon....in fact it's all dark.
BOGUS !!!!!!

Dude you are killing me here! HA!HA! Look at your hair and then look at mine!! Just because you don't have any hair doen't make you smarter does it? :D

swimmer
08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
+1. I'm waiting for a 1000cc Versys the same way I am waiting for a new Van Halen album and I don't see either of those happening any time soon, if ever.

+1 and I couldn't care less if neither arrive. I'll take the lighter 650 with its 60mpg thank you very much.

lokto7
08-31-2011, 11:45 PM
The 1000 will be made in Japan while 650 will be made in Thailand. That's what I've heard.

Lonerider
09-01-2011, 07:41 AM
The 650 Versys is already assembled in Thailand.

rgs

:blah:

The 1000 will be made in Japan while 650 will be made in Thailand. That's what I've heard.

Boricua
09-01-2011, 09:22 PM
The 08 versys sold in tbe us where assembled in japan. Thailand bikes ended up in europe. Not sure about the current models.

MTS
09-14-2011, 12:10 AM
About 45 days away!!!! Please put your best guess in as to what will be offered in 2012 V??? As far as you guys, gals that say you know?? Well looking through the thread at all the :topsecret:photos and such I'm not so sure??? Ha! Ha! :confused:::eek::D:thumb::goodluck:

2daMax
09-14-2011, 01:43 AM
The dealer that I got my V from has opened for booking for the 1000cc Versys. He said he booked 5 units in anticipation and asked me to put my name in to avoid disappointment from lack of stock, if I am interested. I am happy with the 650 so far and will not make a blind purchase without reading reviews or testing it myself. Maybe I'll take one face lifted model in another few years if the specs meets my expectation (like good fuel consumption from the F800GS Beemer, yet is powerful).

WT100
09-14-2011, 08:46 AM
None of my 3 nearby dealers even got a 2011 in. One still has an o9. Whatever the 12 is i probably won't see it near me.

Still, i'm sticking with my 800cc guess. For me that would be about the right compromise.

douglasgraham
09-14-2011, 10:57 AM
I’m surprised of all this talk of maybe a new model and Kawasaki keeping the old standby Versys 650. The Kawasaki Rep at the bike show this fall was hinting that the big green machine was thinking of dropping the V all together in the states because the sales have been so dismal. Anyway I love mine and I’ve beat the crap out of it and it keeps on ticking so Id consider a new one when this one dies.

WT100
09-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I’m surprised of all this talk of maybe a new model and Kawasaki keeping the old standby Versys 650. The Kawasaki Rep at the bike show this fall was hinting that the big green machine was thinking of dropping the V all together in the states because the sales have been so dismal. Anyway I love mine and I’ve beat the crap out of it and it keeps on ticking so Id consider a new one when this one dies.

We don't want to think about it, but you are probably closest to the truth...

BAMF
09-14-2011, 04:04 PM
if they had anything new they would have advertised it like they do with all the other products that are coming out. I would like to find a chart or some facts to see what the sales of the versys are like.

obviously the versys isnt the most popular but its something that kawasaki could stand on to compete with other companies in the adventure touring realm. They are not going to let every other manufacturer have and adventure tourer and just get left out.

think about it:
triumph has the tiger and scrambler
honda has those 2 ugly adventure tourers (cross something)
ktm has the 990
bmw has the GS's
yamaha has the tenere
suzuki has the Vstrom
ducati has the multistrada (probably the most similar to the versys)
husqvarna has the nuda 900
guzi has the stelvio 1200
aprilla has the mana 850

douglasgraham
09-14-2011, 04:14 PM
They have the KLX 650 single but its not suited for the extra long haul with a heavy load. Its true that the Versys is a great ADV bike with a few conversions. Add 1800 dollars and you have a bike every bit as good as a GS and its still less then half the cost of the BMW and your ready to roll. The other bikes are more then the V with the conversions and you still have to add a lot to get them ready to be a true ADV bike. There are a lot of people on this board and over at ADV.com that have proven it can do the job. Will the big K do something in the fastest growing part of motorcycling like the other guys? We shall see. I dont think the V will be around much longer in its present form however in the USA.

BAMF
09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I think you are right douglas. Look at the rising trends in the motorcycle world. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

people are moving towards dual sports and dual purpose bikes and also scooters. No one has the money anymore to have a different bike for every niche.

I think the Versys will either get a couple more offroady changes or will be reincarnated into a mesh between itself and the KLR.

My bet is that the front wheel becomes 19inches,
it stays the same height,
the muffler is re-routed out the back
and it comes as either a sport touring or sport adventure package

douglasgraham
09-14-2011, 04:33 PM
BAMF if that happens Ill be a big Green rider for life. Im not brand loyal, Ive owned pretty much all of them but that 650 twin has my vote as a power plant thats perfect for what I like doing.

stagehand38
09-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Dude you are killing me here! HA!HA! Look at your hair and then look at mine!! Just because you don't have any hair doen't make you smarter does it? :D
:funnypost:
Doesn't make me smarter but....the ladies seem to enjoy it! ;)

douglasgraham
09-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Hey whos busting on bald headed Versys riders.........yes we are smart and yes we do get more ladies:yeahsmile:

Lonerider
09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't know if you can put the Versys in that catogary, it isn't really meant for off road, just all pavement. It is closest to the supermoto class if you ask me.

rgs

:thumbdown:

if they had anything new they would have advertised it like they do with all the other products that are coming out. I would like to find a chart or some facts to see what the sales of the versys are like.

obviously the versys isnt the most popular but its something that kawasaki could stand on to compete with other companies in the adventure touring realm. They are not going to let every other manufacturer have and adventure tourer and just get left out.

think about it:
triumph has the tiger and scrambler
honda has those 2 ugly adventure tourers (cross something)
ktm has the 990
bmw has the GS's
yamaha has the tenere
suzuki has the Vstrom
ducati has the multistrada (probably the most similar to the versys)
husqvarna has the nuda 900
guzi has the stelvio 1200
aprilla has the mana 850

douglasgraham
09-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't know if you can put the Versys in that catogary, it isn't really meant for off road, just all pavement. It is closest to the supermoto class if you ask me.

rgs

:thumbdown:

:interesting:

Bluegenes
09-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I'd also counter with these photos..........

BAMF
09-14-2011, 09:00 PM
you can say the versys isnt for offroad all you want, and you might actually be right. but the demand out there is for dual purpose motorcycles, every manufacturer has one kawasaki is not dumb, they will have one as well.

I agree that the versys is closer to a super moto rather then a dedicated offroad machine but then again look at super moto races... they are at least half offroad. I think this bike, ridden the right way, can hold its own.

MTS
09-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I would also have to agree! The V does very well on the gravel and trails I have taken it on so far with stock tires! I can't wait to get some real rubber under me, but I'm goin to wear the stocks close to out first. :cheers:
The other question remains?? What the heck is coming in 2012 for the V??:interesting: Or is it NOT COMING!!:topsecret:

MTS
09-14-2011, 09:23 PM
2daMax I would agree~! I am happy with the 650 and feul consumption is a consideration for me also!:thumb:

alekkas
09-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Now there is thought Bamf. Finding a smooth way to have the Versys KLR. Keep the old thumper but include a similar bike with that 650 twin. Now there is a winning formula that must be cheaper than designing a whole new 800 engine.

That would be 4 platforms on that engine (if you count the Er because I think they still sell them in Europe).

I just see something special about that 650 that I ridden only a few times.

Then again, Kaw 4 cyl -- ooohhhhhhh - put that versys 1000 out there with the torque tuned z1000 engine. mmmmmmmmm

Phantom
09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Love the 650, but it was a down size in power from my last bike. Versys makes up for it with pure awesomeness however. Having said that if they came out with an 800 or even a 1000 I'd be trading immediately. LOL

gti20vturbo
09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Funny we are all hoping for a bigger Versys when more than likely the Versys will get yanked from North America altogether. Its sales SUCK!

kiwi 41
09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Funny we are all hoping for a bigger Versys when more than likely the Versys will get yanked from North America altogether. Its sales SUCK!

Hopefully sales can pick in North America but his has been a turbulent few years on your economy so luxury items get put on back burner.

CharlestonADV
09-15-2011, 07:03 PM

I agree. Regardless of how much any of us love our Vs...apparently some dealers still have new '09s on their floors. While I could see Kawasaki coming out with a new/revised model with more "dual-purpose chops"...I would be quite surprised if they kept the 650 and added a 1000 to the product line.

gti20vturbo
09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Well maybe if they quit selling it here the used value will increase and I can sell mine. :thumb::thumb:

With all the mods done to mine there is no way I would take less than $6000 for it and sadly people cant even sell nearly new Vs for $4500. That really BLOWS..........

MTS
09-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I don't understand! K has released no information about the 2012 V, but some of riders seem too already about the 1000cc? How??:confused::eek::confused::dgi:

Madone1
09-19-2011, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't believe everything you hear. Until we see an official word from Kawasaki, then there is no 1000cc Versys. People might have "inside sources", or dealers that "are in the know", but until I see something concrete from Mama Kawi, to me the 1000cc V does not exist.

gti20vturbo
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Well if there isn't a bigger Versys in the making we can always pick up the VFR based Honda CrossRunner. In fact its a bike I actually want to check out when it shows up.

alekkas
09-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Well if there isn't a bigger Versys in the making we can always pick up the VFR based Honda CrossRunner. In fact its a bike I actually want to check out when it shows up.

Is't that an "cough" auto transmission?

gti20vturbo
09-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Is't that an "cough" auto transmission?

No

MTS
09-20-2011, 02:51 PM

That looks like one heck of a bike! How many cc's is that thing?:interesting:

jmlmjmjm
09-20-2011, 03:51 PM
That looks like one heck of a bike! How many cc's is that thing?:interesting:

The CrossRunner is a remodeled VFR800.

BayouVersys
09-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Does anyone go to the Kawasaki website? The bike they have promoted the most and has rave reviews (were talkin street here) is the new Ninja1000 or as they call it across the pond the Z1000SX which is offered in three different trim levels. I rode one at a local dealer and it will be my next new bike. The big announcement for the US is going to be the new ZX14. Why am I talking about these other bikes? cause Kawasaki is not going to spend developement money to introduce a bike into a slow US market that past sales of the existing model will not back up. As much as I love my Versys like many others do as well..the facts are their US sales suck..and thats not saying anything bad about the bike, Thats just the facts. I think if Kawasaki would have tried a little harder to promote it when it made it's US intro that it would have done better. I mean do any of you remember seeing a commercial on SPEED or Versus (haha) about a Versys? I can't tell you how many people see my bike and say "I never even heard of that bike" but I bet they know what an R1 is. Oh Well it is what it is, I think the Ninja1000 is gonna do pretty good, but I doubt we will ever see the Versys in a larger dispalcement model in the US.

larue
09-24-2011, 11:03 AM
The Versys is a very Euro-centric bike and there is a small market in the U.S. for that. Dual purpose bikes, even the real ones, will never sell as well as standard sport bikes or Harleys and other cruisers. It's a shame that Kawasaki didn't push the Versys more with it's marketing but I can't believe they ever expected it's sales to reach Ninja levels. I hope they keep the bike in the U.S. a little longer but I won't be surprised if they pull it. I love my Versys but I was only able to afford a new one because the dealer couldn't sell this last 09 to anyone else.

On a related note Vemar, an Italian helmet manufacturer, has pulled it's U.S. distribution because of poor sales. Their helmets are top notch but Euro styling just doesn't sell well here. Because of that my helmet stands out and I dig that.

chitownpete
09-24-2011, 11:37 AM
People generally don't like Fugly Japanese bikes. Many people buy a bike because it looks cool. I love my Versys but whenever I ride with a group no one ever looks at or asks about my bike. I don't care but I originally wanted an ER-6 and only bought the versys because of the superior suspension. I think it's gone in the US. 1000cc Versys? I wouldn't want one, I would buy a Z1000 instead.

blahwas
09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
There are rumors in many german forums about a Versys 1000 coming 2012 oder 2013 with a more torque tuned Z1000SX ("Ninja 1000") engine, plus some photo mockups (that are too much guesswork to even share IMHO). Personally, I don't like inline 4's, I ride mostly solo, and I do enjoy riding full throttle for a few seconds without killing myself and/or my license, so 64 HP is fine with me.

And so far, Versys sales suck over here as well.

Madone1
09-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Does anyone go to the Kawasaki website? The bike they have promoted the most and has rave reviews (were talkin street here) is the new Ninja1000 or as they call it across the pond the Z1000SX which is offered in three different trim levels. I rode one at a local dealer and it will be my next new bike. The big announcement for the US is going to be the new ZX14. Why am I talking about these other bikes? cause Kawasaki is not going to spend developement money to introduce a bike into a slow US market that past sales of the existing model will not back up. As much as I love my Versys like many others do as well..the facts are their US sales suck..and thats not saying anything bad about the bike, Thats just the facts. I think if Kawasaki would have tried a little harder to promote it when it made it's US intro that it would have done better. I mean do any of you remember seeing a commercial on SPEED or Versus (haha) about a Versys? I can't tell you how many people see my bike and say "I never even heard of that bike" but I bet they know what an R1 is. Oh Well it is what it is, I think the Ninja1000 is gonna do pretty good, but I doubt we will ever see the Versys in a larger dispalcement model in the US.

+1. You nailed it.

MTS
09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
This has been a very interesting thread for me! So many riders have had their say! Everything from photos of the V1000, to sorry but it isn't even going to be offered in the USA, or this is the last year of the V.
I started this thread because I saw a photo on the web of the V1000 and was told it was a fake mock up. Now we are one month away from the un or non vailing! Ha! Ha! I don't know what Kawi is doin??:confused:
If you have not weighted in on this topic go for it! We will see who is right in about 30 days!! :goodluck:

:feedback::thumb:

Boricua
09-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Dealers want to sell things with big margins or high price tags. That is why the V and other bikes like it do not do well. Both Kawi dealers I frequent always seen to steer clients toward bikes above the $10k price or well known models that are easy to sell. It is the transactional model of sales that seems to prevail here. A new difficult to pigeon hole bike is a hard sell and sales people do not want to spend the time. Specially a bike you have to ride to appreciate. Most dealers do not offer test rides.

WT100
09-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Of course they want to sell expensive bikes but that doesn't mean they CAN sell expensive bikes. Not in this economy. I think the price pointe is the thing that might save the V.

Rather than a bigger engine i hope they do a style re-design. Probably just me but i hate the 2011 design.

rponiarski
09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
As per my local dealer, the dealer show in the US will be next month in Florida. He has already heard about the new ZX-14R, but figures the rest of the sportbike line will be just about the same (ZX-10, ZX-6, Z1000 and Ninja 1000). He has heard nothing about the 650's, but we do know that 2010 was the last year for the ER-6n, which doesn't bode too well for an updated 650 line. We can hope for a 800cc Versys, can't we...:thumb:

MTS
09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I agree!! 800V would be awesome but its starting to sound like its bye bye V for the USA!! :( :badidea:

Wish I could fast forward 30 days!!

jmlmjmjm
10-10-2011, 12:03 PM
2012 models have been released......One of you believers wanna go find me that 1000cc Versys?

;)

WT100
10-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Good news is - there actually IS a 2012 V.

Bad news is - the front still looks like a cheep "Boom Box" speaker. I was hoping we would be done with the plastic chrome.

Still it's better than no V at all...

rlj
10-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Link to the new color scheme,

http://newproductlaunch.kawasaki.com/products/PhotosLarge.aspx?ProductId=572&PhotoId=167860

CharlestonADV
10-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I was hoping we would be done with the plastic chrome

Looks like they did delete the plastic chrome on the "sinister black" version. I still, however, prefer the looks of the original V.

Madone1
10-10-2011, 05:15 PM
2012 models have been released......One of you believers wanna go find me that 1000cc Versys?

;)

+1 Much ado about nothing.

Squid4Life
10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I definetly like the new color scheme..

Madone1
10-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Good news is - there actually IS a 2012 V.

Bad news is - the front still looks like a cheep "Boom Box" speaker. I was hoping we would be done with the plastic chrome.

Still it's better than no V at all...

I think we are pretty fortunate that despite the economy and sluggish sales, the V lives another year. So there are no big changes, at least there is a bike out there that fits the needs of many, and the hope of changes in the future can continue.

MTS
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I think we are pretty fortunate that despite the economy and sluggish sales, the V lives another year. So there are no big changes, at least there is a bike out there that fits the needs of many, and the hope of changes in the future can continue.

:eek::D Awesome! Love the colors! And I agree totally. It might mean more parts and more ad ons to be available.
I think this bike is going to become more popular. Not because I own one, but because it is versatile. They won't flood the market as they did with the 08-09's. Those days are gone.
Just did a 120 mile trip into some country I have never been and found an awesome dirt road I'm gong to go back to. That is the type of stuff I love to do with my V. And its great around town too. :D

MTS
10-10-2011, 10:27 PM

;)

Ha! Ha! I'm with you jmjm! I really didn't know but to look at those spy photos and listen to some people say they know the 1000cc are on the way. Wow! Good lesson for me! Can we believe everything on the web??? :eek::D

After
10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Τhere it is

http://www.moto-net.com/images/nouveautes-2012/kawasaki/versys-1000-01.jpg

IL 4 Z1000 engine

Next month it will be announced officially

I dont see anymore a PLAY BIKE, but an adventure bike, always 17'' wheeler
I will stay with my moded 70hp versys

Element
10-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Τhere it is

IL 4 Z1000 engine

Huh, how about that. For real?? If not, good one anyway. :clap:

After
10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes yes it is real, UNFORTUNATELLY

I was aspecting a IL2 play bike, not this one
Seems heavy, and it will be
No less than 240 kilos for sure
Pity.....

cmoreride
10-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

http://ninjastreet.kawasaki.com/Ninja1000Details/

http://power-specs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2012-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-MSRP.jpg

jmlmjmjm
10-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Τhere it is, IL 4 Z1000 engine

Wanna bet?

After
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Wanna bet?

Ok, no chicken here, but for what? :D

jmlmjmjm
10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Ok, no chicken here, but for what? :D

I'll send you some world famous Arizona salsa!

What about you?

douglasgraham
10-11-2011, 06:03 PM

What about you?

Id like some famous Arizona salsa whats the bet again;-)

After
10-11-2011, 06:09 PM

What about you?

I will send a galon of galaxy famous Greek salsa called TZATZIKI!!!!
:yeahsmile::yeahsmile::yeahsmile::yeahsmile:

Toddzilla
10-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't know why we need all this extra weight/HP.
I was doing just find this summer, commuting @ 80ish w/ plenty in the reserves.....oh, did I mention I don't mind down shifting:D

Now, just get me a 250 that does 100 @ 100MPG on Greek salsa...perfect.

jmlmjmjm
10-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Id like some famous Arizona salsa whats the bet again;-)

I like Virginia peanuts!

jmlmjmjm
10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I will send a galon of galaxy famous Greek salsa called TZATZIKI!!!!
:yeahsmile::yeahsmile::yeahsmile::yeahsmile:

Excellent!

MTS
10-11-2011, 07:08 PM
:eek: Ok I am completely confused. That 1000cc V looks like the spy photos? If thats true holy sh$%&**! :eek: :thumb:

gti20vturbo
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Excellent!

Shoot for a gallon of Ozuo

invader
10-11-2011, 08:29 PM
:clap: Looks like the Z1000 aluminum chassis, with a Versys style steel trellis rear subframe. It should've been obvious it'd be the good old Z1000 L4 from the initial spy shots... It was already well official back on my birthday (Aug 20). It's farken beautifu! :thumb:

lokto7
10-11-2011, 11:13 PM

http://www.moto-net.com/breve.php?RefBreve=4225

full picture... is that from invader?

dezertv
10-12-2011, 02:00 AM
If it hasn't been said already, someone in Japan needs to answer the Yamaha Tenere ... For about 3 grand less and I'm in !

I am hoping sales on the Tenere are a total flop and in a couple years, the price tanks and I will get one ... (crosses fingers)

However, an adventure bike never needed that much power or heft. Which really begs the question, where does one draw the line on "purpose-built" adventure bikes? Seems the whole category has gone awry ... Same group of buyers that want all the utility of a Hummer H2 but put 20's on it and never take it off-road I guess ... :confused:

invader
10-12-2011, 02:08 AM

http://www.moto-net.com/breve.php?RefBreve=4225

full picture... is that from invader?

It's from After:

Τhere it is

IL 4 Z1000 engine

2daMax
10-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Off topic slightly but I checked on 2012 Versys 650 and noticed new color schemes. Imperial Red trim is out. Yellow/Orange trim is back but on the tank, front fender and rear side cowls, while side fairings are still the same black. Black trim is still there but headlamp panel trim is black, gull swingarm is black.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-details-features.aspx?autoplay=false&id=572&scid=6

lokto7
10-12-2011, 04:15 AM
It's from After:

look closely at your 2 captures, it's very likely your crops are the same from After's.

outdoorvtguy
10-12-2011, 08:10 AM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct1211-kawasaki-versys-z1000/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

silverman
10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.moto-station.com/uploads/12391_normal.jpg

Black is nicer ?

Silverman

WT100
10-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm not a fan of black bikes but that looks wicked! (in a good way) lol

flienlow
10-14-2011, 05:02 PM
I changed my mind. After having second thought, I too would not want a Versys 1000cc.

How about about a 1200cc with 160hp and killer suspension? :devil:

Cant you just picture it coming out of corner on 1 wheel. I get randy just thinking about it.

80-watt Hamster
10-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I changed my mind. After having second thought, I too would not want a Versys 1000cc.

How about about a 1200cc with 160hp and killer suspension? :devil:

Cant you just picture it coming out of corner on 1 wheel. I get randy just thinking about it.

You mean a Multistrada?

flienlow
10-14-2011, 05:15 PM
You mean a Multistrada?

Exactly! (Minus the tewenty three Fing thousand dollar part.):mad:

Sprocket
10-14-2011, 07:34 PM
With the same engine and alloy frame as the Ninja 1000 (guessing they will retune it for more torque/less top end with different camshafts) the 1000cc Versys should weigh in around the current weight for the 650 Versys. It would be nice to see them offer a higher end suspension option.

pmdean650
10-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Holly cow! I bought a two cylinder 650 because that is what I wanted. If you all wanted a four cylinder 1000 what are you doing here?

Element
10-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm not a fan of black bikes but that looks wicked! (in a good way) lol

Very nice profile pic. What all have you done to it? (For those who don't already know, that is the same machine you see in my profile avatar pic.)

flienlow
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Holly cow! I bought a two cylinder 650 because that is what I wanted. If you all wanted a four cylinder 1000 what are you doing here?

What exactly should we have purchased? To the best of my knowledge there is no (relatively) inexpensive upright riding position inline-4 1000cc. There is the triumph tiger which is about the most reasonable other best bang for the buck bike I can think of. I wish the Japanese would build a $14,000 high torque/horsepower multistrata 1200 type bike. That thing is super sick,but I would have an easier time justifying an Airplane purchase than it. :(

No one is bagging on you or your 650. For some of us, it just doesnt have enough under the tank.:cheers:

Element
10-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry to get off topic, so here you go. I am from Missoui, and though not proud of the motto, "Show Me State", someone is going to have to show me a real one. At least in the US, because whey would Kawasaki bring a larger version of a poor seller to the states. Still a 2009 Blue for sale in my local dealer showroom. Harley's and Sportbike country, sad to say!

WT100
10-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Very nice profile pic. What all have you done to it? (For those who don't already know, that is the same machine you see in my profile avatar pic.)
HaHa! She looks a LITTLE different now...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17105

p0diabl0
10-16-2011, 01:31 PM
What exactly should we have purchased? To the best of my knowledge there is no (relatively) inexpensive upright riding position inline-4 1000cc. There is the triumph tiger which is about the most reasonable other best bang for the buck bike I can think of. I wish the Japanese would build a $14,000 high torque/horsepower multistrata 1200 type bike. That thing is super sick,but I would have an easier time justifying an Airplane purchase than it. :(

No one is bagging on you or your 650. For some of us, it just doesnt have enough under the tank.:cheers:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX1250FA/2011/GSX1250FA.aspx?category=standard

blahwas
10-16-2011, 02:35 PM
What exactly should we have purchased? To the best of my knowledge there is no (relatively) inexpensive upright riding position inline-4 1000cc. There is the triumph tiger which is about the most reasonable other best bang for the buck bike I can think of. I wish the Japanese would build a $14,000 high torque/horsepower multistrata 1200 type bike.

Do you have the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 in the US?

kimel
10-16-2011, 02:43 PM
We did but I believe it is no longer imported beginning this year.

invader
11-08-2011, 01:28 AM
EICMA opens tomorrow...

2012 Versys 1000:
1043cc, 118 HP @ 9000 rpm, 102 Nm (75.2 ft-lb) @ 7700 rpm, 239 kg (525.8 lbs) curb weight (Versys 650: 454.2 lbs), 43mm inverted forks...

New photos: http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/dagelijks-motornieuws/10187-2012-kawasaki-versys-1000.html

lokto7
11-08-2011, 01:55 AM
EICMA opens tomorrow...

2012 Versys 1000:
1043cc, 118 HP @ 9000 rpm, 102 Nm (75.2 ft-lb) @ 7700 rpm, 239 kg (525.8 lbs) curb weight (Versys 650: 454.2 lbs), 43mm inverted forks...

New photos: http://www.nieuwsmotor.nl/dagelijks-motornieuws/10187-2012-kawasaki-versys-1000.html

239kg.... :badidea:

invader
11-08-2011, 02:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBA1MbgIm4

Ivan V
11-08-2011, 05:26 AM
I want that that dash on my bike!

sharrison56
11-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Dutch to English translation.

On the night before the EICMA in Milan the press day was already starting to find information about the new 2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000 allroad, which will be officially presented tomorrow. The new 4 in line water cooled 1043cc DOHC sixteen-valve engine from the Z1000 and will be slightly tuned 118 hp at 9000 rpm stands and a torque of 102 Nm at 7700 rpm deliver. The front suspension is 43 mm inverted fork with which a 4-piston caliper. The bike will weigh 239 pounds curb the Versys 1000 comes with ABS and traction control as standard equipment. There are many accessories included, such as luggage on the pictures below. It's available in white and "magnesium metallic" gray.

Press Release: 1000 Versys is the new all-rounder in the 1-liter class
Versys gets a big brother for 2012. With this long-awaited concept Kawasaki puts a new step in the Multi-Purpose market.

The new Versys 1000, the long awaited big brother to Kawasaki's mid-round street bike was designed for maximum driving pleasure in the greatest possible variety of ways.

For solo use or ride with a passenger, the block or around the world, its unique combination of a tough and flexible inline four-cylinder engine and an agile chassis with dynamic suspension not only provides an alternative to existing Honda customers, but will also be many new fans to the recognizable and stylish brand pull. 1000 Kawasaki Versys takes the now popular all-rounder in a 1-liter class.

Key Features:

- Long-travel suspension front and rear make sporty steering on different routes and under different circumstances

- Upright position offers a high degree of control and confidence in different situations

- Sporty, agile handling thanks to its light aluminum twin-tube frame

- 1,043 cc four-cylinder is flexible and offers powerful torque at all speeds and especially at low and medium revs.

- Adjustable windscreen

- Functional and robust fairing provides good wind protection

- Large range with 21.5-gallon fuel tank

- KTRC (Kawasaki Traction Control) with three settings for wide range of driving conditions

- Select Power Mode 2 modes: Full Power Low Power + (approximately 75% of full power

- Standard with latest ABS

- Robust rear frame designed for extra carrying capacity

- Gear ratios tailored to different driving situations

- 17 "- wheels: ideal for Multi-Purpose touring and sporty driving

- Wide range of genuine accessories

sharrison56
11-08-2011, 06:43 AM
They have it posted on the Kawasaki EU site. http://www.kawasaki.eu/news.asp?Id=3409C04C008

alekkas
11-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Well, not to say I told you so ... but I did.

It only makes sense to run this engine in three chassis. Same as the 650 (though the ER is no longer stateside)

If this bike turns out to be more "dual" than the versys, that may have a good trickle down for the 650's. For instance, more beefed up front suspension.

BrianBMann
11-08-2011, 08:59 AM
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Versys1000

versysxxx
11-08-2011, 09:09 AM
So will our bikes be known as WeeV's.

Toddzilla
11-08-2011, 09:23 AM
So will our bikes be known as WeeV's.

No. It'll be known as THE V.

The big one can get the new moniker, maybe Li-Vee, ZeeVee....this is giving me the HeeBee JeeBee's

What is that huge thing hanging off the right side by the back wheel?

jmlmjmjm
11-08-2011, 09:40 AM
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Versys1000

After all my bloviating.....there it is. I owe After some salsa. PM me your address.

I'm guessing we won't see it in America for 2012 (new models already released and the dealer show is over) but we can hope for the future.

douglasgraham
11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Well its nice and I like it but with just a few tweeks this bike could have gone head to head with the fastest growing part of the motorcycling market with bikes like the Triumph tiger 800 xc, Yamaha Super Ténéré and the BMW GS instead we have another sport touring bike.

J B Nimble
11-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Pics, need pics. Kawasaki Europe made it official http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/news.asp?Id=3409C04C008 and there is some history behind dual sports and 1000cc engines, hopefully this is better. The Ninja 1000cc engine was really exciting but the front was very top heavy to keep the bike on the ground, this should be interesting.....need pics.

jmlmjmjm
11-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Pics, need pics. Kawasaki Europe made it official http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/news.asp?Id=3409C04C008 and there is some history behind dual sports and 1000cc engines, hopefully this is better. The Ninja 1000cc engine was really exciting but the front was very top heavy to keep the bike on the ground, this should be interesting.....need pics.

This new Versys 1K is NOT a dual sport. Click your link, look at the pictures, read the verbiage. Show me one bit of dirt bike pretense.

camaroz1985
11-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't like that the 1000 and 650 have different windscreen mountings. I feel like that will limit aftermarket options. That said, I'm not really feeling it at all. I'm perfectly content with my current bike.

Though I have been wanting a second bike and a sidecar, and the 1000 would make light work of that. Hmmmmm...

J B Nimble
11-08-2011, 11:16 AM
This new Versys 1K is NOT a dual sport. Click your link, look at the pictures, read the verbiage. Show me one bit of dirt bike pretense.

After reading, what I could not see on my phone, the bike is situated to handle any riding surface on the street.

"Created as the long-awaited big brother of Kawasaki’s mid-size any-road street surfer, the new Versys 1000 is designed to enable the greatest riding enjoyment in the widest variety of street riding situations".

This sums it up for me as well, "Kawasaki's weird four-cylinder all-roads Versys. Thing (http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/milan-2012-kawasaki-versys-1000/19429.html)."

fasteddiecopeman
11-08-2011, 11:18 AM
No. It'll be known as THE V.

The big one can get the new moniker, maybe Li-Vee, ZeeVee....this is giving me the HeeBee JeeBee's

What is that huge thing hanging off the right side by the back wheel?

Muffler. The catalytic converter appears to be the one under the engine.

fasteddiecopeman
11-08-2011, 11:20 AM
The seat looks comfy. :thumb:

ME - I'm happy with 650cc's of motor. :clap:

80-watt Hamster
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Well its nice and I like it but with just a few tweeks this bike could have gone head to head with the fastest growing part of the motorcycling market with bikes like the Triumph tiger 800 xc, Yamaha Super Ténéré and the BMW GS instead we have another sport touring bike.

If it sells well enough initially it could get a more off-road-y version a model year or two later. It could very well be in the works already.

J B Nimble
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
After loking at the pictures over there on ADV Rider, I must say, the bike looks very comfy and the article says that "rider comfort" was the primary goal of the bike, geez it is about time. My guess is that it will sell like hot cakes over here, if it makes it here.

http://epio.net/bike/Versys1000/2012-Versys-1000_5.jpg

http://epio.net/bike/Versys1000/2012-Versys-1000_4.jpg

This looks very tempting as did the triumph Tiger 1050 when it dropped, test rode that and it is a very comfortable bike but parts are difficult to come by as many mechanics emphasized. Looks like Kawasaki really can turn a Z1000 into a bike with many riding modes...looks nice it is just I have to get use to hearing about the frame, I wish they would have kept the same design as the original, but that is a dual-sport.

Hmmmm....I will have to wait for the shootouts to get a test ride in a little while...kewl.

flienlow
11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Kawasaki is not importing these to the US?

DR_
11-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Kawasaki is not importing these to the US?

Not yet and if they do they will probably take off the ABS to make it cheaper. I will never buy another new bike without ABS so if I'm interested depends on that.

versysxxx
11-08-2011, 01:25 PM
The extra power and probably smoothness would be nice but an extra 100lb would be a turn-off for me. That is what I like about my V...it is light and quick and very good value for money.

If I wanted a much heavier but more powerful bike I would probably look at a Bandit 1250.

Brian

weljo2001
11-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I want one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa_V2Wachsg&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P3xG3agKqE&feature=related

sharrison56
11-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I will figure out if I want one once we can get them and I can see/ride one.

cmoreride
11-08-2011, 02:11 PM
two Versysi or is it Versyss ?

weljo2001
11-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Like the Triumph better because of the shaft drive.

so yeah, i'm a fan.

135HP, shaft drive, switchable ABS, traction control, cruise control, heated grips and seat, 950watt alternator. Ticks all the right boxes for me, basically a comfortable tourer with some dirt road ability. at 570 pounds wet its certainly not light. 5.3 gallon tank, wonder what mileage it gets, i only want 200 mile range.

Image: http://images.motorradonline.de/sixcms/media.php/11/Triumph_Tiger_Explorer_015.jpg

Image: http://images.motorradonline.de/sixcms/media.php/11/Triumph_Tiger_Explorer_020.jpg

Image: http://images.motorradonline.de/sixcms/media.php/11/Triumph_Tiger_Explorer_075.jpg

DBD34
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Kawasaki Versys 1000 Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuM2j_azBKQ

kiwi 41
11-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Ok ya all, you got my attention. Hmmm got a nice 2011 Ninja 1000 with low km's, make a good trade in deal on V 1000. Looks like its the same engine i got but more power lower down and less at top which is alright by me, more comfotable, a bigger brother to my 650, could be option if they bring it here and offer a good deal. Watch this space!!

hacktracker
11-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Wow, I sold my Versys over a year ago because I moved away from the mountains of Western North Carolina and my needs changed.

I'll be first in line for one of these! Maybe I'll wait until year 2 to get the green.

J B Nimble
11-08-2011, 10:40 PM
LOL... why wait that long, the www.kawasaki.ca website already has them posted... just waiting for the price.

Ok the price in Canada is $13,999 so you can probably look at a price around $13,199 if it comes to the US...that was fast.

stagehand38
11-09-2011, 01:12 AM
The extra power and probably smoothness would be nice but an extra 100lb would be a turn-off for me. That is what I like about my V...it is light and quick and very good value for money.

If I wanted a much heavier but more powerful bike I would probably look at a Bandit 1250.

Brian

actually the weight gain is closer to 75 pounds. 5.5 gal. tank...don't know if the specs are for a wet bike.
I was surprised and thought the gain was low but, I don't have much practical experience with such things...My "V" is the only bike I've ever rode.
:cheers:

duffyduck1
11-09-2011, 01:32 AM
I think it is a good bike.
Nice upper side, but i don't like low exaust beside the rear wheel (like yamaha TDM), it is an old style: our 650 cc is more beautiful.
Good equipment and features. Hope that 4 cyls engine has strong power starting low rpms, usually 2 cyls engine has great power at low rpms than 4 cyls.
Obviously it isn't a dirt bike, but a touring like KTM SMT, Ducati Multistrada or Honda Crossrunner.

kiwi 41
11-09-2011, 02:00 AM
I think it is a good bike.
Hope that 4 cyls engine has strong power starting low rpms, usually 2 cyls engine has great power at low rpms than 4 cyls.
Trust me as i have this engine in my Ninja 1000, it has power at low revs and the engine in the versys 1000 isa detuned from my one and on dyno grapth i have seen it has more power/torque at low to lower mid range. It will be able to idle down to get milk from corner shop or blast down a main highway.

http://www.metro.co.uk/lifestyle/881120-kawasaki-versys-1000-could-save-the-japanese-motorbike-industry

kiwi 41
11-09-2011, 02:18 AM
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/philandkeri/w608h405_000003409C865EE01.jpg

Ivan V
11-09-2011, 03:42 AM
For a mere mortale, those curves look pretty much the same.

Kiwi, you have two tried and proven toys with a dedicated purpose.
Let's give this new pig a year or two to prove itself.

Cheers.

kiwi 41
11-09-2011, 03:59 AM
For a mere mortale, those curves look pretty much the same.

Kiwi, you have two tried and proven toys with a dedicated purpose.
Let's give this new pig a year or two to prove itself.

Cheers.

I was going to wait at least 12 months to see how it goes and maybe trade the Ninja in for V 1000

zedseven50
11-09-2011, 07:46 AM
I was hoping for a larger 750/800cc twin and pretty much looking as it does today, including the underslung exhaust. This one's not for me - not particularly attractive (I think that's due to the exhaust) and too big for my needs to be honest. :thumbdown:

J B Nimble
11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
actually the weight gain is closer to 75 pounds. 5.5 gal. tank....

I don't think you have to worry about the extra 34 lbs associated with the 5.5 galllon tank, that should be offset by the design of the bikes "mass centralization" and the weight of the muffler. I never really noticed sloshing fuel because the weight of the fuel was negated by the extremely heavy muffler, maybe most of the weight of the fuel. I would think the same design here also.

The website says the bike fully functional with 90% fuel weighs 239kg or 527 lbs, if the fuel weighs 34 lbs then the bike is a respectable 493lbs. Am I getting excited or what, that is 95 lbs more than the '08 at 398lbs. This I have to see, the use of aluminum really cut the weight down.

Kawasaki.ca website specs:

DIMENSIONS:

Overall Length 2,235 mm
Overall Width 900 mm
Overall Height 1,405 mm / 1,430 mm
Wheelbase 1,520 mm
Ground Clearance 155 mm
Seat Height 845 mm
Curb Mass** 239 kg
Fuel Capacity 21 litres
Fuel Consumption 12 months(???)

** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)

:thumb: :thumb:

hacktracker
11-09-2011, 09:30 AM
LOL... why wait that long, the www.kawasaki.ca website already has them posted... just waiting for the price.

Ok the price in Canada is $13,999 so you can probably look at a price around $13,199 if it comes to the US...that was fast.

In Canada, the V1000 is the same price as the ABS Ninja 1000. So, my bet is $11,899.

If that's the case, I'll put the VFR on the market come spring.

trialsguy
11-09-2011, 10:10 AM

Brian

I was thinking the same thing, on all your points.

It is interesting - the reason I bought my V almost 4 years ago was for the upright seating / do everything configuration. I have found that
- 99% of the time I ride on paved roads
- On long fast rides, the upright seating and stiff suspension puts too much fatigue in my seat area/body. More forward lean may suit my riding style better. So a Suzuki GSX1250FA (or the Triumph version of this) might be more in in for me, for my next bike.

I still think the headlight area of the newer Vs looks cheap to me.

El Tig
11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
You folks who get one should notice a bit of a power difference.....:yeahsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6_G8MRgcS0&feature=player_embedded

twowheeladdict
11-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Funny how the bike looks so much better in these photos.

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/8035/2011-eicma-kawasaki-versys-1000

gti20vturbo
11-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Nice to see it materialize. Hopefully it makes it to the US. I would sell both my Versys and my ST1300 and buy one.

Why a Bandit over this bike? Its even heavier. I could see a Ninja 1000 over the Versys 1000 but not a Bandit. The Bandit is old tech, and heavy. Its cheap for a reason, your buying a 1990s motorcycle.

If this V1000 comes to the US I cant see it being pried higher than a Vstrom 1000 or even the Ninja 1000 unless that price includes all the bags. Also has anyone considered the weight might include the luggage?

duffyduck1
11-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Yeah! Very very nice!

outdoorvtguy
11-09-2011, 05:48 PM

There's a bike in there?

alekkas
11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Random thoughts:

After having ridden the Z, I knew this special engine would have another body to be a part of. It is a great ride.

Unlike the Vstrom, though, I think the 1000 will be liked better than the 650. For suzuki, the 650 is generally a better liked bike and that is a pretty special 650. The 1000 is not too special at all. Good though.

Knowing the Versys 1000 engine, it will be much more exciting than the strom 1K. I imagine the 650 will be better liked for naked and twisties - the 1000 for longer touring. To sport ride a 1000, the ninja and z are probably going to be better options than the Versys 1000.

I wonder what the mpg difference will be between the power modes? If low power can get you in the 45 - 50mpg range on a 1K, that will be pretty much a deal closer for many.

duffyduck1
11-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Hearing guys who know that engine (don't forget that the engine is Z1000 based improving performances for an on-off/touring bike), seems that V1000 will have strong power and torque at low and middle rpms, and this is very important for this kind of bike.
Test drives will say us if it is really so good.
About consumption, our 650 is very good, hope that 1000 will be so. I prefer more mileage instead more power.

cb4017
11-10-2011, 02:09 AM
I like it and can see one in my future. Wonder when they will come to the U.S.:usa:

weljo2001
11-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Wonder when they will come to the U.S.:usa:

Well i've always wanted to made a trip to Canada. This could be my excuse.:D

meserthim
11-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Sorry for you american friends ... you can go to canada ...
but i'm sure the next year will be available for you too ....

i'm the proud owner of the first one ( the green model ;) ) , 40.000 km in two years through europe and this big brother is like a dream that becomes true ...

all we need for a modern long tourer ... power, abs , traction control, complete instruments, more room for luggages and more comfort for rider and pillion ...

thank you kawa

oxman
11-10-2011, 09:07 AM
well the v 1000 is on the Canadian kawasaki shopping list .....$13999 ....ouch
http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/STREET-TOURING/1461/Versys-1000

chid
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm not planning to buy something that expensive for now, but for my curiosity...
how V1000 compares with the Multistrada?
price 13999 CAD vs 15500 USD.

stagehand38
11-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Fyi....sources say it will undercut the Tiger 1050 pricing ( british pounds...9,900 vs 9,999 ) and Like the big Tiger, is not engineered for off road use.

Sprocket
11-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Fyi....sources say it will undercut the Tiger 1050 pricing ( british pounds...9,900 vs 9,999 ) and Like the big Tiger, is not engineered for off road use.

The Tiger 1050 has been discontinued. It is going to be replaced with a tiger 1200 which apparently is more of a direct competitor to the big BMW GS.

gti20vturbo
11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Nice to see it materialize. Hopefully it makes it to the US. I would sell both my Versys and my ST1300 and buy one.

Ok so today I rode the ST1300 to work just to make sure I could back up my claim. Um no, hell no, I would not sell my ST1300 for a V1000. What was I thinking? :D

That darn ST1300 is pretty much the prefect motorcycle for what I use it for. Man I forgot how nice she was after commuting on my V for the last month.

Versys Chris
11-10-2011, 06:43 PM
well the v 1000 is on the Canadian kawasaki shopping list .....$13999 ....ouch
http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/STREET-TOURING/1461/Versys-1000

Ha! Ha! Oxman, don't you know that Kawa Canada thinks we are all a little slow :confused: and can't compare their prices to the US. Those guys are just plain outrageous with their pricing :mad: . See Vaquero, see Z1000, see Ninja 1000.

I sold my Versys last fall and got a V900 Custom for a change, but the new big Versys makes me want to switch again. I think it is overpriced in Canada, but I do want those features, hence I will have to wait for a used bike or buy one in the US when it comes available there.

Cheers

Versys Chris

wombat north
11-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I own both a V and 08 FZ1 with lots of go fast bits.

Can anyone calculate the top speed per gear off the Canada website for the V1000.

If the gearing is even close to the FZ1 first gear of 140kph/85mph I'm out. Its a nanny gear, I want it to flip me if I'm not careful with the right wrist. That's what a litre bike should do.

org123
11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I imagine that the 1000 will not have the same fun factor as the 650. The 75 lb and 4" wheelbase difference, along with what will probably be a more compliant ride will make the 1000 a more relaxed ride. Some of the agility will be lost. Refinement does not usually equate to character.

Markk9
11-10-2011, 08:54 PM
What will it offer over a Ninja 1000? I'm still thinking of getting a Ninja 1000K and putting the luggage on it.

kiwi 41
11-10-2011, 09:17 PM
What will it offer over a Ninja 1000? I'm still thinking of getting a Ninja 1000K and putting the luggage on it.

A more upright sitting position, traction control, slightly more torque/power at bottom to lower mid range, option of reduced power setting for wet/slippery conditions.

Boricua
11-11-2011, 07:22 PM
US riders interested in the Versys 1000. Go to the Kawasaki web site and send them an email asking when it is going to be available in the US. I'm seriously shopping for an upgrade for my 2008 Versys. So I ask them if they are going to bring it over within the next year. If not I will have to take my business somewhere else.

I suspect if they get enough inerest they can talk dealers into taking orders.

duffyduck1
11-12-2011, 01:17 AM
It's very strange. In italian and european Kawa websites there isn't mention of the price...
And searching on the web, it is still not defined.

cuff
11-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Kawasaki.ca has it listed at $13,999
http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/STREET-TOURING/1461/Versys-1000#MSRP*

Sprocket
11-12-2011, 03:37 AM
That is also the price range other bikes like the Triumph Tiger and KTM SMT sell in. Looking forward to some magazine comparisons.

It is a similar situation to the Ninja 650R and the Versys. One is a sport bike with a nod to comfort and the other is more of a multi purpose bike more suited to long distances and urban commuting. People who want a sport bike with relaxed ergos will buy the Ninja, people who want more touring and commuting capability or just more comfort will buy the Versys. I think age will also be a factor in the appeal of each. A bike like the Ninja is less appealing to guys older than say 35 but maybe more appealing to younger guys who still have links to the sport bike world.