Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys X 300 wheels on a Versys 650?

11K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Bing O 
#1 ·
So here's an unlikely question… would you be able to put the Versys X's spoked wheels on a 2008 Versys 650 for better off-roading? If so… is that even remotely a good idea?

#5 ·
The Versys 650 has 17" wheels front and rear.

The versys X300 has 19" wheel front and 17" wheel rear.

There would have to be modifications made for the fender to clear the 19" wheel.This would mean raising the fender at least 2". I know you're thinking only 1" because the distance between the axle and the top of the tire will only be 1" more. But not only is that 1" more, the distance between the axle and the rear of the fender will be 1" more. If you raise the fender only 1" you will not have enough clearance between the tire and the rear of the fender. So now that we have raised the fender 2", the front of the bike is still 1" higher than stock, so we loosen the fork clamps and lower the bike 1" to make it level again. What all this has done is made the distance between the top of the fender and the lower triple tree 3" less. fender raised 2" + triple tree lowered 1" = 3" Now when you hit the front brake and the front end dives, the fender is probably going to smash into the lower triple tree, breaking the fender. now you wind up putting the original wheels back on because you don't want to keep breaking front fenders or the bank. Now who do you know that you can sell those spoked rims, that you just purchased, to? Wait there is a bright side. You can still use the 17" spoked rim on the rear, so half of your bike is more off road worthy.

#9 · (Edited)
At close to 500 pound, all dressed up with bags and armor the best way to make a Versys better offroad is to add a trailer hitch to it. THEN drag a real dirt bike behind it and ride THAT off road.

The KLR is much more of a dirt bike and at over 450 pound ready to ride...well I named mine "The Fat Little Pig" need I say more?

#10 ·
I have to agree about riding my Versys off road (or other so called adventure bikes). It's a great street bike, but it can't go places my true Dual Sport KLX250S can! When I'm out riding my KLX250S in my favorites off road trails, single track, and ORV vehicle parks in California, I never see any Adventure bikes.

At 297 lbs wet, it has great suspension and ergonomics that are made for it's purpose. Other than a skid plate, I don't need a bunch of Armor to protect it either!

It's impossible to find one bike that does it all, I need a couple more!

#11 · (Edited)
The Versys can probably go most of the places you go off road but obviously it is not a dirt bike like the KLX.

The KLX is a tall thumper dual sport,the Versys a low seat height twin adventure bike,no sense comparing the two.

Look at the Versys 300 like a mini Vstrom....mild off road capability and a great commuter/adventure tourer.

#13 ·
300Xer, here trickling in. I would think the X300 wheels would be a bad place to start for your 650. The front has only one disc and the rear has no cush drive. I'd look for some DL650 adventure or Tiger 800 wheels and see what adapters will be needed for width offset etc. Probably best to just try for custom wheels from Woody's Wheel works ore something. The hard part is getting a hub that works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.