Versys X 300 wheels on a Versys 650? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Versys X 300 wheels on a Versys 650?

So here's an unlikely question… would you be able to put the Versys X's spoked wheels on a 2008 Versys 650 for better off-roading? If so… is that even remotely a good idea?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Betcha THAT will be THE expensive way to do it...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
anything is possible if you have enough money and time
aboyandhisversys likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well all the links I've seen to do a spoked off-road wheel conversion for a 2008 Versys lead to dead websites, didn't know if this would be the better option or not. Got any suggestions?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebel View Post
So here's an unlikely question… would you be able to put the Versys X's spoked wheels on a 2008 Versys 650 for better off-roading? If so… is that even remotely a good idea?
The Versys 650 has 17" wheels front and rear.

The versys X300 has 19" wheel front and 17" wheel rear.

There would have to be modifications made for the fender to clear the 19" wheel.This would mean raising the fender at least 2". I know you're thinking only 1" because the distance between the axle and the top of the tire will only be 1" more. But not only is that 1" more, the distance between the axle and the rear of the fender will be 1" more. If you raise the fender only 1" you will not have enough clearance between the tire and the rear of the fender. So now that we have raised the fender 2", the front of the bike is still 1" higher than stock, so we loosen the fork clamps and lower the bike 1" to make it level again. What all this has done is made the distance between the top of the fender and the lower triple tree 3" less. fender raised 2" + triple tree lowered 1" = 3" Now when you hit the front brake and the front end dives, the fender is probably going to smash into the lower triple tree, breaking the fender. now you wind up putting the original wheels back on because you don't want to keep breaking front fenders or the bank. Now who do you know that you can sell those spoked rims, that you just purchased, to? Wait there is a bright side. You can still use the 17" spoked rim on the rear, so half of your bike is more off road worthy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebel View Post
Well all the links I've seen to do a spoked off-road wheel conversion for a 2008 Versys lead to dead websites, didn't know if this would be the better option or not. Got any suggestions?
Try SEARCH. Somewhere on this Forum are pics of several Vs wearing spoked off-road wheels and tires.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
anything is possible if you have enough money and time
and you're brave enough...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:14 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
and you're brave enough...
or as dumb as me =p

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:50 AM

At close to 500 pound, all dressed up with bags and armor the best way to make a Versys better offroad is to add a trailer hitch to it. THEN drag a real dirt bike behind it and ride THAT off road.

The KLR is much more of a dirt bike and at over 450 pound ready to ride...well I named mine "The Fat Little Pig" need I say more?
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-21-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: I hate auto correct
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:58 AM

I have to agree about riding my Versys off road (or other so called adventure bikes). It's a great street bike, but it can't go places my true Dual Sport KLX250S can! When I'm out riding my KLX250S in my favorites off road trails, single track, and ORV vehicle parks in California, I never see any Adventure bikes.

At 297 lbs wet, it has great suspension and ergonomics that are made for it's purpose. Other than a skid plate, I don't need a bunch of Armor to protect it either!

It's impossible to find one bike that does it all, I need a couple more!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:26 PM

The Versys can probably go most of the places you go off road but obviously it is not a dirt bike like the KLX.

The KLX is a tall thumper dual sport,the Versys a low seat height twin adventure bike,no sense comparing the two.

Look at the Versys 300 like a mini Vstrom....mild off road capability and a great commuter/adventure tourer.

Last edited by Scooter56; 05-21-2017 at 08:29 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 AM

Not much activity from the 300X crowd....I guess they'll trickle in....this and ADV are the only forums I'm aware of.

On a footpegs topic,I am going to work to come up with some wider,lower footpegs.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:56 PM

300Xer, here trickling in. I would think the X300 wheels would be a bad place to start for your 650. The front has only one disc and the rear has no cush drive. I'd look for some DL650 adventure or Tiger 800 wheels and see what adapters will be needed for width offset etc. Probably best to just try for custom wheels from Woody's Wheel works ore something. The hard part is getting a hub that works.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgia View Post
300Xer, here trickling in. I would think the X300 wheels would be a bad place to start for your 650. The front has only one disc and the rear has no cush drive. I'd look for some DL650 adventure or Tiger 800 wheels and see what adapters will be needed for width offset etc. Probably best to just try for custom wheels from Woody's Wheel works ore something. The hard part is getting a hub that works.
Check on the "jdrocks" build over at ADV rider to see which wheels work (tho' he doesn't NORMALLY go w/ spokes).

V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner | Adventure Rider

IF it's been 'done'..., Dave's done it!

Ed

..)

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 PM

I know JD and have seen his V649HP in person a few times. I don't remember if he swapped out his forks and front wheel or not but I think he did. That thread though would be a good reference for what you are trying to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode