Versys x300 - Sprockets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By wildemonster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Versys x300 - Sprockets

Hi, bought my x300 two weeks ago, first one available in my area, olympia, wa.
This thing is geared very low, like a woods bike, which of course it is not.
I haven't found rear sprockets available yet. Any idea if Ninja 300 sprockets will fit?
thank-you, db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 PM

Well, I just ordered the counter shaft sprocket in 15 teeth. I ordered it for the Ninja 300. I believe its the same. I'll find out this Thursday!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 PM

Garage
I'm looking into buying a 300 X and have read owners describe them as revvers (300cc after all) but that the red line is WAY up there so maybe comparing the 300 to a larger capacity bike is unfair. They talk about speeds of 70-80 mph being easy enough but require the RPM's.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 PM

Its a screamer. About 8K at 70mph. I understand the plus 1 Counter Shaft Sprocket drops RPM's about 500 plus. It's happy at those RPM's and after a bit you don't realize it. I think Kawasaki should have left the tach off like my WR250R. I ran the piss out of the WR and it never bothered me since i never saw the RPM's. I shifted when the rev limiter kicked in. It was a screamer also. I was riding at 8800 ft above sea level at 75 mph, 8500 plus RPM's and it would easily pull the hills in 6th gear without slowing down. Speed was monitored from my GPS. I had no doubt it would have gone to 12K if I wanted.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:50 PM

Garage
Thanks Doggie.

How do you think the 300 X will go geared up? There is surely not much torque there for lower slower speeds. How will the gearing effect dirt roads/back roads? Hoping to hear your feedback once done. Cheers.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:26 AM

If you plan on holding 90 on the freeway on the 300 regearing would be necessary, but if you're gonna be going 75- 80 cruising I don't think it's necessary. I'd rather have have the low end available for the trails. Coming from thumpers I get the urge to not rev it so high, but this engine is made to do that. I was getting around 65 mpg between 6 and 8k rpm in 6th gear which is roughly 60-70 mph and it was very windy. If you're using it to commute on freeways I can see the desire to gear it up, but if you're gonna get out on a trail of leave well enough alone and just rev it to 8 or 9k.
maddoggie501 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:19 PM

The short answer is I don't know. I'll put my sprocket on this weekend. From what I heard, from others who have made the switch, it only gets you 500 rpm's or so. I don't think its going to change much of anything, on road or off, but I have to try it. Others on the ADV Forum have gone 1 up on the front and 2 or more down on the rear. They are mostly highway riders. I fall somewhere in the middle. I would leave it alone, but I just rode to an off road area and doing 9000 rpm's at 75 or 80 seems a bit much. Bottom line is like Wildemonster says, Off road leave it alone, on road raise the gears.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:08 PM

Garage
Thanks guys. I still have not got a like button yet so think I need to write another post on the intro page.
I have a V-Strom 650 and am looking for something almost as capable but a little lighter in case I drop it somewhere remote. I see that fully fuelled the X300 is 175 kgs. My V-Strom is "220 kgs wet" and I'm going to assume that means oil and water but not fuel.
So add another 20 kgs and the X 300 may be up to 65 kgs lighter than a Suzuki V-Strom 650. Ever picked up 65 kgs lately?
Plus I get a new toy to play with.
I appreciate your opinions and feedback.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Let me know how the sprocket goes maddoggie. If it can still handle dirt fairly well it might be worth it for the gas mileage.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
...I see that fully fuelled the X300 is 175 kgs. My V-Strom is "220 kgs wet" and I'm going to assume that means oil and water but not fuel....
I take "220 kgs wet" to include ALL fluids including gas, but I could be wrong.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:34 PM

Just installed the sprocket. Sadly, its raining today and suppose to clear tomorrow. Cant wait to evaluate it.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 PM

^^^is it still raining? Waiting on that review......
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 AM

Just ordered my JT front 15 tooth sprocket for $17 shipped.
Maybe now I won't have to shift 4 times getting thru the intersection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode