Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

How strong is the Muffler?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  2linby 
#1 ·
How strong is the Muffler on the Versys? Can the bike be jacked by it? My Uly used the muffler as a lifting point, very strong. I have an awesome bike jack and a wooden cradle carved to fit a muffler, just curious if it will hold up to get the wheels off the ground or if I need to buy the spools and lift for them.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
I wanted to lift the front end that way -- by using the muffler as a lift point -- so I could check the level of the fork oil. But the muffler is too far back and I couldn't raise the front end in a stable way. And a front stand and spools would keep the weight on the forks. I don't have a rafter to hang the handlbars off of. So I guess I'll have to get a front stand with an adapter that fits under the triple tree.

Anyway, that's my long way of saying that I lifted the bike using the muffler as the point of contact with a jack, and the muffler was fine. It didn't dent or get crushed like a soda can.

#10 ·
Before I learned the jack stands under the rear pegs trick, I put my floor jack under the front seam of the stock muffler to lift it. My jack has a rubber insert so no wood was needed.
I certainly recommend the rear pegs and jack stands over the muffler/jack method, but it will work w/o damage.
What you are chancing is pressing the crush washer unevenly, which will allow exhaust fumes to escape. The exhaust seal at all points is sacred in tuning; and why all the Jap bikes are going to single header/pipe configurations. But even the one pipe/muffler config., it will still be dependent on the most vulnerable cylinder head/pipe crush washer. The muffler itself would hold a jeep up for strength though if that is all you are worried about.

Get a centerstand if you don't have a lift kit :grin2:

#13 · (Edited)
I normally use the spools on the rear swing arm and a spool stand.

For swing arm/suspension work where you cannot lift by the swing arm, I use a car floor jack under the right side peg to tripod the bike on the front wheel and side stand.

I would expect the muffler to crush under the 450lb weight of the bike. IME bike jacks only work for HD or similar style bikes with a heavy perimeter frame to lift by.

#17 ·
Just this Sunday I used my sears ATV lift to install my motowerks lowering kit on my 2014 versus. The caveat is use a strap to secure the bike to the stand. I had no issues whatsoever.

I've used this lift for my 2001 Concours without concern to change tires etc. And the Connie is 200# heavier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.