Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

High pitch noise

9K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  LuckyDuck 
#1 ·
hey I dont know if anyone else has heard a very high pitch electrical noise when the key is to the "on" position , like a relay humming away, and after when the bike has been running, you can barely hear it but its there...

#6 ·
Fuel pump noise should quit after a few seconds.. at least mine does.

#12 ·
I know what you're talking about when you first turn the key and hear the whine of the fuel pump and a series of clicks. But when the engine is being started, the fuel pump will kick in again - and the fuel pump will run anytime the engine is running, too.

It's hard to hear over the engine idling - and nearly impossible going down the road, but should still be there if you listen closely or have super sensitive "dog" ears.

#9 ·
I know what sound your taking about.
Its not the sound that lasts for just a few seconds when also the RPM arrow goes up and down but another higher pitch and more silent sound.

Its a sound like some TV sets made in the old days and you must be a kid to hear.
I can hear it if i stop and the engine is on idle, no matter if i have been riding for hours the sound is there.
Its annoying imo and if you cant hear it, maybe its because you should clean you hears :)

#11 ·
no the noise was there I heard it after a hours ride ,I m taking it in a new bike should not have a relay issue if its a relay sticking or the fuel pump, (both would suck if it ment me getting stranded somewhere). besides Warranty,warranty,warranty ... that should cover my bike

#13 ·
Occasionally my Versys does this too....just a shot in the dark, but mine turned out to be the fuel tank purging air when the fuel got hot, and the purge valve wasn't functioning properly. Took it to the dealer, they fixed it....problem solved. Told me the seal was faulty......might be your problem?

#16 ·
noise

if you cn hear the injector / pump noise when riding with your helmet on then you must be able to hear me whisper that its a normal noise on the versys and other bikes????? even from this distance....:D:D:D:D:D

#17 ·
I have that noise all the time but the dealer didnt hear it so they havent done
anything about it ,hope its nothing serius(hopefully spelled right,i´m swedish so be nice :)).I hear it a lot aspecially when i practice low speed manouvres in my garden(no need for helmet there)so theres when i hear it the most and its anoying.And even the noise from the gastank when its recently riddden or its standing in the sun,that bothers me to,have to get that fixed,cant be right when the bike squeels that much,ive need to open the tank to make it
go away.So of to the dealer tomorrow if this horrible rain could stop,and tell them more people hear this high pitch sound(not the tank sound).

#22 ·
The Versys is fuel injected, so it probably has a fuel pump. All of my FI cars have made some sort of whining noise for a few seconds if you leave the ignition on for a few seconds before starting (the fuel pump pressurizing the system). I also noticed that there is some sort of electric idle control that cycles a few times when you first turn on the ignition on the Versys, it kinda makes a whining and clicking noise too. Just take a look at the right side of the engine when you turn on the ignition switch and you'll see what I mean.

#23 ·
Mine does this too. It seems to be the gas tank not venting for me. It whines while riding sometimes, and I noticed it the other day as the bike was sitting in my shop after a ride. Opening the gas cap made a big sucking sound and it quit the whining sound. It is hard to open the gas cap while riding to verify as the key is in the ignition. :)

By the way, this is much louder than just the fuel injector pump. It is easy to hear at speeds under 30 mph in traffic with ear plugs in. About the same volume as the dash board buzz.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.