Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

List of compatible oil filters for 650?

50K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
I haven't seen a list of compatible oil filters for the 650. Anyone know of any? Planned on changing oil today. Thanks.

#2 ·
Theres one on a thread somewhere. But....You can get a Bosch 3300 oil filter at the Auto Parts stores for about 5 bucks...

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
I have been using the PL14612 which is the shorter version of the PL14610. Since the PL14610 is longer and cheaper on amazon.com right now, I will likely be using the PL14610 in the future. I have had no problems with the bike so far.

#9 ·
Do I know what I am getting? Maybe I do, maybe not. I do know the filter I bought today was not a cheap filter.

There is only one bike shop in my city which would have the filters. Because of this, they can practically charge what they want. Besides, I've been using el cheapo filters for years and have not had any ill effects.

You must be the type that thinks buying a brand name = better product. Go tell that to the Hurly guys.

#13 ·
Had this filter since 2010 on the Versys now on the FJR. Over 40,000 miles and finally switch out the O-Ring for the spare that was provided....No issues.......

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

#22 ·
No offense, but I don't see what engine revs possibly have to do with the filter's ability to filter oil. Oil pressure is finite no matter what the rpm is. When I start my car the oil pressure goes into the working range and stays there whether at idle or highest rpm. If it were to drop down at idle, I'd know there is a problem. Same rules apply to bikes. I expect that the oil psi is about the same.

The OEM filter is certainly of no better quality than the 'car' filters mentioned here. But use whatever makes you happy!

#25 ·
Pressure increases as rpms increase and the filters have a bypass valve that is set to a certain PSI. So if the by pass on the auto filter is lower than the pressure in the engine at higher rpms then you are not filtering the oil as it is just being dumped back in to the engine

#26 ·
any specific figures for our Versys?

as in how much is the pressure at x-rpm?

#27 ·
Yeah, but the bypass valve isn't just open or closed. It is a spring loaded operation that increases as pressure increases, so it is always filtering at least some amount of oil. And the the engines we are running (please prove me wrong) will never push a volume of oil that will require the bypass to operate at a full open position. I would highly doubt we'd even see a bypass at half open, wrapped up under full throttle at 10k RPM and carrying 400 lbs of gear. Sure maybe 50%, but the same filters are used on higher displacement bikes with no problem.

I don't think it fair to compare a Silverado or Savannah van oil volume to that of a Versys 650. And the "normal" operation range is seen because of the bypass valve. You have to realize that 5.3L (or more) of displacement will flow a hell of a lot more volume than 0.65L of displacement.

#30 ·
I don't think it fair to compare a Silverado or Savannah van oil volume to that of a Versys 650. And the "normal" operation range is seen because of the bypass valve. You have to realize that 5.3L (or more) of displacement will flow a hell of a lot more volume than 0.65L of displacement.
I was addressing the comment that oil pressure is consistent throughout the RPM range, not volume.
And I just re-read my post to make sure I didn't mention anything about volume or flow rate.

#36 · (Edited)
1st read of this thread.... some good.... some, ah, maybe confusing. the oil pump is supposed to deliver more volume and pressure than is needed, and a pressure relief valve is supposed to set system pressure regardless of RPM. that valve is usually built into the pump and dumps the excess back into the sump. but sometimes at low RPMs the volume of the pump may not be sufficient to drive the pressure up to full normal pressure. especially if: oil is thin, oil is hot, bearing fits are loose, oil pump is worn, or maybe even if you have high bleed rate lifters. that could be the cause of jittery pressure readings... the regulator valve cycling at minimal pressure. a jittry reading isn't necessarily bad as long as you are still within limits. (low oil quantity could do it too, different deal).

the valve in the filter, on the other hand is a bypass valve.... it only opens when the filter is clogged. some also have check valves that open basically whenever the engine is running and close to keep oil in the filter when it's not running

most bikes have roller & ball bearings on the crank & so do not require oil pressure at all down there... only splash & spray. it's the plain bearings than need oil pressure to eliminate (in theory) metal to metal contact. that would primarily be the cam journals, and they don't have the force a plain crank bearing has to take. that means bike oil pressure can be pretty low & still work ok

#38 ·
1st read of this thread.... some good.... some, ah, maybe confusing. the oil pump is supposed to deliver more volume and pressure than is needed, and a pressure relief valve is supposed to set system pressure regardless of RPM. that valve is usually built into the pump and dumps the excess back into the sump. ... and more
Thanks for explaining what I tried, but failed to say back in post 24.

#37 ·
I use the Purolator PL14610. When I get a new bike or anything with a engine I find what car uses the same filter this way if I forget the exact filter I can look it up at the store. For instance the V uses the same filter as a Honda Ridgeline truck (worked out great when I drove a Ridgeline I only had to stock up on 1 filter). My lawn mower uses the same filter as a prius.
I can look up these cars for a filter, but look up the V or my mower and they say some specialty filter.

#40 ·
Ya, I'm going with a HI-Flo, the HF303 from A Vicious Cycle $10.99 here in Ontario.

Considering the PC Racing FLO filter Weljo uses, but money is tight right now so I'm holding off until the first oil change next year.

A friend (Honda rider) ordered the FLO from Motorcycle Superstore but he's not too happy about the service. The web site said there were 7 in stock. They charged his credit card immediately, like most places do, sent an email saying order was processed etc. Waited for three weeks before getting another email yesterday saying that they have just now mailed it. That's not good service. I might look elsewhere when I purchase one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.