Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

well hit 5300 rpm, I know longer like the bike.

8K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  david3921 
#1 ·
So I have now roughly 130 miles on the bike, I may sell it.
The bike hit 5300 rpms and its like riding a joy buzzer. strong vibes in pegs, bars and seat. I cant possibly imagine being on the road for hours like this. Its nice and smooth till it gets in the 5 range.
Shame.. I researched the bike before I got it and understood the vibe issue, and even rode it but didn't experience anything that would kill the deal.. If I cant remedy this to a degree fast, I will part with the bike and look at something comparable. Love performance and handling.

Sorry about the "know" in the title.. I was going a different direction

#40 ·
Yeah it needs to be broken in and wound up to 10,500 rpm a few times at least... Change the oil now, then switch to synthetic by 2000 miles. It'll keep improving for a while.
Not sure if you have the 650 or 1000. Here's my experience with a 2014 1000.....

Very noticeable vibration particularly in the handlebars around 4500rpm right from the dealership. It was very pronounced for the first 2000km/1200miles. I changed the oil at 800km/500miles with regular Kawasaki 10w40 with no noticeable change. Around the 2000km mark it started to settle down with less vibration in the bars. Changed the oil again with Motul 7100 at 3000km and installed Rox anti-vib risers. Zero vibration in the bars but the more I rode the bike the less I liked the mushy feel from the anti-vib risers. Bike has 4000km/2500miles on it now and I pulled the risers last night and am going for a ride tonight.

So, short version....

Like others have said, give the bike a chance to break in, put in some proper oil and I'm sure you'll be happier.

#5 ·
Most of my V's vibes are in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range, depending on the load and throttle position.

My '08 V engine really smooths out at around 5000 rpm, on up to 8000 rpm. I cruise all day in the 5000 to 5500 rpm range. Really smooth. [I have added one tooth to the front sprocket.]

#24 ·
I have a 2013 and same with me, between 3.5K-5K rpm, I feel the vibes on the grips and pegs... once I get on the hi-way at 65mph and up, +5K rpm, all I hear is the engine's humming and the vibes are gone. I also use a GO Cruise throttle lock which helps quite a bit when below 5K rpm.

Like the others, I say hold off on selling and it will come to a point when you will actually miss the sensation in your hands and feet!

Ride safely!

#8 ·
As the others have said, it's not even anywhere near broken in yet. It'll get better. It'll also get better if you adjust the chain, I was amazed how much smoother mine got after 1k miles and a chain adjustment.

But, you know, to each their own. Look at something shaft drive if vibrations bother you.

#10 ·
The Chain was silly tight from the dealership. I know they stretch a bit, But I loosened it after only 10 miles. That being said I have been on chain driven bikes for 40 years (and one belt and 2 shafties) and I don't recall the chain ever being a source of vibration?

So this thing just basically needs to loosen up a bit and the vibes will decrease some. I understand 130 miles is far from broken in, but how much better can it get?

#18 ·
Hands and feet mostly.. I probably do 75% of my riding at speeds of 60 MPH or less, however just for giggles I took it up to about 70 and was quickly enlightened as to a fun spirited engine but a numbing vibration as well over 5..
It seems that if Im on the throttle not much Vibes, but light steady throttle mainitaining speed and it Vibes. I am still breaking it In, so It may calm down over 5300 or so.. But I havent ran it that high yet.
I hate to get rid of a bike that fits my size and style so well, seems the general consensus is that as it gets more miles on it it will loosen up a bit and the vibes may subside a bit.

#19 ·
Chained bikes are an art. You usually figure them out after you replace your first chain and sprockets.

If you are not spray cleaning and spray lubing your chains with a towel every couple of rides, you should start before your chain/sprockets need replacing.

Vibrations come and go with everything you do to a sports bike, especially at the handlebar control end: my 2012 was smooth as glass oem stock. The Vs. 650 CAN smooth out in most cases. What year is yours?

Good luck!

#23 ·
I remember the first couple of times I rode my '09 (purchased in 8/11), my hands and feet would get pretty numb after just a short while. I was thinking I'd have to get new bars or a riser or something to settle down the buzz.

Honestly, that feeling went away at some point, and my hands hardly ever get 'tingly' any more. If I hop on for a short ride with hiking shoes instead of MC boots, I can feel a little more vibrations in my feet, but still nothing major.

Ride it a few more miles, break it in, learn where the sweet spots are for RPMs, and have some fun!!!

#28 · (Edited)
Mine is perfectly smooth between 5000 and 6000 rpm, so it is strange you mention it's horrible at 5300 rpm, even though it's not broken in... I actually have no real vibration problem riding from under 3,000 to over 10,000 rpm, but I do like my tapered aluminum handlebars on aluminum riser/adapter. Wider offroad footpegs on MotoWerk's aluminum lowering blocks, and Seat Concepts seat do help as well.

What elevation are you at, and which grade of gasoline are you using?

#34 ·
I broke mine in exactly wrong, I think. I did about 400 miles nice and easy, and then I changed the oil, and then I did another ~200 miles hard as hell, and then I changed the oil again to the Mobil 1 racing motorcycle oil and a nice high flow Purolator car filter, and that's when everything started coming together.

#43 ·
Keeping

I'm going to hold onto VibraVersys for a bit. Change the oil at 200 miles (another 25 miles) and then again at 500 miles and see if it smooths a bit. I can tell a difference from day one in the lower revs in terms of smoothness, so I have that going for it.
Thanks for the feedback, perhaps you all talked me out of doing something I would have regretted!

#46 ·
I had a bad time with vibes on my Gen II Versys when I first got it too. As everyone else has pointed out, a lot of settling in will occur as your bike breaks in. That said, I added Grip Puppies as a way to cut down on the hand vibes, and they helped significantly. I also have Speedy's peg lowering blocks, and I think those have also helped in that department. I learned to love my Versys and never looked back. It'd be a shame if you got rid of yours before you try some inexpensive workarounds for her 'warts'. :smile2:

#47 ·
Two things helped with my 2012 V. As others have noted, there is a big difference changing the oil during the break in process. Also, and the most significant for me, was changing the front sprocket to a 16T. There are a lot of posts here about the change referring to not having to shift as soon and know longer looking for a 7th gear. These are both true. What I also found (and I hope I can explain this correctly) was that the remaining vibration was moved. The twin kind of has a cycle where the vibs come and go based on the RPM. I used to have high vibs at highway speed. After the oil and sprocket changes, my RPMs were lower at the same speed and the vibs were diminished. Someone will chime in with a better explanation to the above, I hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.