DIY - Oil Change/Oil Filter - Page 15 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

View Poll Results: What oil filter do you use?
Purolator Pureone or Purolator ML 44 17.46%
FRAM 17 6.75%
WIX 12 4.76%
Bosch 16 6.35%
Smart Tech 2 0.79%
Super Tech 35 13.89%
Mobil 1 17 6.75%
K&N 47 18.65%
OEM 54 21.43%
Something else 27 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 297 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
Follow up, regarding my post above (#77).

So, I decided to take a look first hand. After some reading at the FJ09 forum, where this was a reported issue, I had envisioned finding a nut-type configuration at the base of the oil filter mounting bolt, where it attaches to the engine: WRONG! It's threaded into the lower engine case on my 2011 650 Versys, creating virtually no protrusion (as compared to the reports of the FJ09 issue, where the oil filter base bottomed out on mounting bolt nut before achieving adequate seal).

This being the case, there should be no issue in using the PL14612, correct? It was my understanding that the PL was a great filter for this application in all other regards, aside from potential interference as mentioned above.

Invader: your thoughts?

I'll try to attach a couple photos I took. One is from front to show there isn't a shoulder nut between the filter base and the engine case. The other is from the side, to show virtual flush mounting (no protrusions beyond engine block, except threads themselves).
Well it looks like it can be a problem after all... I guess I could've left my original posts up.

I oughta mention I've been using a Denso 150-1000 "First Time Fit" oil filter for many years now, problem-free.
(Tall version: 150-1001)

Denso oil filters employ an innovative Torque Stopper case design that prevents over-tightening and simplifies installation.

https://http2.mlstatic.com/filtro-de...1_052016-F.jpg

http://densoautoparts.com/filters/oil-filters
Ketch likes this.

Last edited by invader; 08-10-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 297 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 PM

Yep, it seems that the concave feature may cause other bikes to have mounting problems. While the concave feature (itself) doesn't affect Versys, the further most part of the threads (interior) may be the issue; there appears to be a noticable difference. See my observations noted in the photo (submitted by kballowe) below. Whether my hunch is right or wrong, sounds like this newer filter needs to be avoided.

As usual...Invader is right

Thanks for posting kballowe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Well it looks like it can be a problem after all... I guess I could've left my original posts up.

I oughta mention I've been using a Denso 150-1000 "First Time Fit" oil filter for many years now, problem-free.
(Tall version: 150-1001)

Denso oil filters employ an innovative Torque Stopper case design that prevents over-tightening and simplifies installation.

https://http2.mlstatic.com/filtro-de...1_052016-F.jpg

Oil Filters | DENSO Auto Parts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PureOnefilter.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	96193  

Last edited by bwwoodard; 08-10-2016 at 07:38 PM.
post #283 of 297 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Yep, it seems that the concave feature may cause other bikes to have mounting problems. While the concave feature (itself) doesn't affect Versys, the further most part of the threads (interior) may be the issue; there appears to be a noticable difference. See my observations noted in the photo (submitted by kballowe) below. Whether my hunch is right or wrong, sounds like this newer filter needs to be avoided.

So, what exactly is the issue with this filter? What ever the issue is, is it just suspected that it might cause a problem? Or has it actually caused a problem in the Versys 650?

Mine seems to be working fine on my 2008 V, after a few thousand miles.
quexpress likes this.

post #284 of 297 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
So, what exactly is the issue with this filter? What ever the issue is, is it just suspected that it might cause a problem? Or has it actually caused a problem in the Versys 650?

I was going to ask the same question. I keep looking at that last pic but don't understand the problem.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #285 of 297 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:23 AM

RESPONSE #1: go back to the range of post #79 in this thread, for more info. This report seemed to be a nonissue until a Versys owner posted an issue this week. Based on his photo, I'm speculating that the filter on the left appeared to "possibly" have an area creating contact with the end of the male threads {and with the reddish-pink plastic/rubber material at the end of the filter internal threads}. Without having the filter to physically examine, it's just a theory as to why he can't tighten the filter adequately to seal and prevent an oil filter leak. That is the issue as I understand it-- potential leak at seal from inability to properly tighten.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

Quote:

I was going to ask the same question. I keep looking at that last pic but don't understand the problem.
RESPONSE #2: If yours isn't leaking, that's good. It's been challenging, at best, to grasp a full understanding of this report and if the Versys was affected.

Last edited by bwwoodard; 08-11-2016 at 09:08 PM.
post #286 of 297 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 11:23 AM

My newest purchase of a Bosch 3323 did indeed show the metal surface to be convex instead of concave like the last 3323 I took off. After bwwoodard did some research it appreared the V's don't have a problem because there is not a nut at the top of the male part (I know that sounds dirty) like on some other bikes. I proceeded with the newer 3323 and have had no problem. The size of that red part shown in the pics throws another question mark in to what may be causing the problem. I am going to follow Invader (always a good idea) and get some of those Denso filters.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #287 of 297 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
My newest purchase of a Bosch 3323 did indeed show the metal surface to be convex instead of concave like the last 3323 I took off. After bwwoodard did some research it appreared the V's don't have a problem because there is not a nut at the top of the male part (I know that sounds dirty) like on some other bikes. I proceeded with the newer 3323 and have had no problem.
This tells us that the filter does not bottom out on the engine case and therefore allows the rubber gasket to seal correctly.

Quote:
The size of that red part shown in the pics throws another question mark in to what may be causing the problem.
That is the anti-drainback valve.

IMHO this will not be a problem. On this page: Purolator mentions:

1. Changing the base plate from a concave to a convex design (as it shows in your photo);
2. Slightly increasing the height of the gasket.

IMHO the same was applied to the Bosch 3323. I will therefore try it on mine at the next oil change.

Quote:
I am going to follow Invader (always a good idea) and get some of those Denso filters.
I agree. You can't go wrong if you do that.

I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
post #288 of 297 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 PM

Changed the oil & filter on mine today (picked it up this week, used with 1500 miles on it).
I had an extra paint strainer from painting a hood for my Camaro, so I drained the oil through it.
Worked pretty well. There were a couple black flecks in the strainer, but I also dropped the drain plug bolt into it, so I don't know if it came from the inside or outside... Looked pretty clean.
If your local auto parts store sells automotive paint, they may give you a couple strainers. If not, you can buy a box of 100 @ Harbor Freight for $5.

post #289 of 297 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:30 PM

Garage
I had just purchased three Bosch 3300 filters when I read the original reports last year about the design change causing leaks on the V. I avoided using them for the stated reasons, but today I thought that I should try fitting one as I needed to change the oil.

It fit perfectly and does not leak on my '08 Versys.
quexpress likes this.
post #290 of 297 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I had just purchased three Bosch 3300 filters when I read the original reports last year about the design change causing leaks on the V. I avoided using them for the stated reasons, but today I thought that I should try fitting one as I needed to change the oil.

It fit perfectly and does not leak on my '08 Versys.
Excellent!
Please come back with more feedback after having it on your Versys for a few hundred kilometers.

I just shuffle slower.

post #291 of 297 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Please come back with more feedback after having it on your Versys for a few hundred kilometers.
I will certainly do that, but it might be a while before I can ride again. Although I do have heated Gerbing gear, I no longer have the appetite (or the body) to ride in cold weather. I ride for pleasure now, not for bragging rights.

Ten years ago I rode at least once every month of the year for 2 years in a row and that was in years with some bad weather. I remember when I was seventeen, riding my YDS-3 Yamaha home from a party in a January snowstorm. Insanity! and I made it home unscathed. Glory days indeed.

I will update on the Bosch 3300 later, but it certainly appears to seal well after an oil change and having the engine idle until hot. I do hope it works because I have two more of them. I don't surmise any problems from the reports that I have read and from my personal experience. It is a very well constructed oil filter that I have trusted for many years.

But then again, ever since the infamous bad Fram filter early internet days expose, has anybody here reported an engine failure due to a faulty oil filter? And how would you even know if it were so?
onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #292 of 297 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Merged with existing sticky "Oil Change"

New is DIY Oil Change/ Oil Filter
post #293 of 297 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Garage
Good move Glen. Thanks for organizing and grouping the various threads, it makes it far easier for researching.
quexpress likes this.
post #294 of 297 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I will certainly do that, but it might be a while before I can ride again. Although I do have heated Gerbing gear, I no longer have the appetite (or the body) to ride in cold weather. I ride for pleasure now, not for bragging rights.
We're on the same page Smiley!

onewizard likes this.

I just shuffle slower.

post #295 of 297 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 PM

I'm about to change my oil, and I bought a Kawasaki oil filter. Am I crazy? Doesn't anyone here use a Kawi filter? I plan to switch to full synthetic.

2007 H-D Electra Glide (laid it down Oct. 2nd 2016 with almost 95K miles; may she rest in pieces)
Iron Butt Association
LAMA DAMA since 2014
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #296 of 297 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I'm about to change my oil, and I bought a Kawasaki oil filter. Am I crazy? Doesn't anyone here use a Kawi filter? I plan to switch to full synthetic.

Not me. Only the one that came on the bike.....

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr

I've used the same PCS-1 Re-Usable oil filter since 2010 on 3 different bikes now....

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr
chrisfla1 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #297 of 297 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 AM

I have seen a lot of comments about this oil and oil filter change thing. I went to my local dealership and purchased an OEM filter and gallon of Kawi 10-40 oil in the black container. Total cost $29. I also purchased the 14 flute attachment for the OEM filter. The bike is a 17 and has a 24 month warranty. I figure the OEM products are fine and they are inexpensive. They give me a 15% discount on everything in the shop sine I bought the bike there.
Smiley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
filter, oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode