Front Sprocket Nut Trick - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Front Sprocket Nut Trick

FYI Members Go To How To Forum for Detail

Hi, Versys Wrenchers.

At first I tried the Service Manual method to get the nut off (rear brake)

So, I have come up with this idea, it worked fine for me.
The nut came off with a sneeze, using a 27 mm socket with a short extender and a 46 cm (18 inches) torque wrench.

Place a suitable sized socket or pipe (as long as possible minimum 50 mm) between a sprocket tooth and the swingarm.
If you want to be on the safe side, put a curved metal piece (bend a coin) to distribute the pressure on the chain slider and swingarm. (I did not, still no harm done)

For tightening the nut, just place the socket on the upper side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprocket nut long 8mm.jpg
Views:	3137
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	5832  

Last edited by onewizard; 12-15-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Electric impact wrench. Mine came off in neutral!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Yeah, impacts are nice for stuff like this. I've also seen people secure the rear wheel against the swingarm thereby holding the sprocket with the chain tension. The rear brake can also be applied. It's really not so tough of a job on the Versys but can be a real bear on some bikes. Anyway, glad this technique worked out for you.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM

That is a great way to secure it, as long as it's the right size and that it doesn't slip out under torque. I wish I had thought of that. It makes it easier because the force applied is solidly supported right at the source. You can also reverse it to torque it back on at 92 ft-lbs... Did you have a 26 mm socket to try? A 1-1/16" (26.9875 mm) socket is a bit loose on it.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That is a great way to secure it, as long as it's the right size and that it doesn't slip out under torque. I wish I had thought of that. It makes it easier because the force applied is solidly supported right at the source. You can also reverse it to torque it back on at 92 ft-lbs... Did you have a 26 mm socket to try? A 1-1/16" (26.9875 mm) socket is a bit loose on it.
Who you askin' ? I tried first with a breaker bar and a 2x2 through the rear spokes and started cracking the wood to a point where I thought I would damage the wheel or swingarm. It was then I used the electric impact wrench with a 1 1/6" socket. 12 point at that! ( couldn't find a 26mm ). Came off like nothing. The only other time I had to use that wrench was taking the bar ends off of my other bikes.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 PM

I was asking svannie if he had a 26 mm socket to confirm its fit on the nut, because he used a 27 mm, and the 1-16" (26.9875 mm) socket is a bit slack on it. A 12 point 1-1/16" socket can tend to slip and eat at the nut's edges... A 1-1/2" X 2-7/8" length of wood across the swingarm, and an extension pipe on 1/2" drive breaker bar worked fine for me, but it has to be well padded to protect the swingarm's thin aluminum wall and paint. That's why I really like svannie's simple and highly effective sprocket lock.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

invader, I'm glad you liked my idea, thanks.
I used a 27 mm socket, it measure 27.35 mm and the nut 26.85, so it's not a tight fit a all, however, it actually left slightly less marking on the nut than from the factory tool.
I was alone when I did it, and the long 8 mm socket stayed in place.

Here's a picture of the Nut and 27 mm Socket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprktnt 27 mm.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	5860  
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Pressure!

That 8mm long socket is putting a lot of pressure on just one tooth, if someone tries this same method and the tooth snaps off, they will wish they h
ad gone to their local dealer and had them use their air or electric rattle gun.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM

I thought of that too, but with all the load at the base of the tooth, directed in and across it, I'm really not worried about breaking it. I don't think it would even mark the countershaft sprocket's hardened steel. Socket or pipe used to lock the sprocket has to be of the proper length and dimension... I'll try it to torque sprocket back on soon.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
naz

invader i tested 2 different sockets 26 mm hexagons without any luck.it seems that the square part of the nut doesnt let the socket to enter correctly ...the original dimension mast be in inches and not in mm cause both 26 and 27 mm sockets are problematic.i would like to try the 26mm polygons (12points) to see if it fits but i will do it tomorrow cause i dont have one available atm.
the patent to support the sprocket is excellent good job
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 AM

Hi there naz... what I did with those sockets is put them on the side of a grind stone and remove the bevel edge off the inside of the socket unitl it meets up with the actual mating area of the socket and that will grab the nut alot firmer....
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
naz

hello andreas
its chrome vanadium andreas and i gave a lot of money for this damned facom set...
there are also the deep sockets,did you try 26mm deep socket andreas?
or the simple hexagons?
i did my job with a 27 mm deep socket but the nut needs change now its no good

naz
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM

No luck

I have tried a 12 point, just rounded the nut shoulders, I tried a 1/2 drive imapct with a claimed 500 ft pounds and a 6 point impact socket, still no luck. At least its not rounding off the shoulders anymore. I tried securing the sprocket with the socket trick described here, still no luck. Dang, looks like I am cutting this thing off, but before I do, any one have other ideas? Any guesses as to how much torque one needs to get this damn thing off? It sure as @%$#$@ has a lot more than 90 ft lbs on it originally. Yes I have flattened the cup washer, I am turning counter clockwise, and generally frustrated.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 PM

AhhhhA!

Nevermind! I got it, and it did leave an impression on the chain guide, but I can live with that. Thanks for the idea. I was so surprised when it came off I didn't have a chance to stop the driver, the nut fell off on the floor.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:32 AM

I used a short 3/8" drive extension, reversed in a 14 mm socket to have it at proper length (43 mm long) to lock the sprocket and torque it back to 92 ft-lbs.

A 1-1/16" (26.9875 mm) 6-point socket works fine without damaging the nut... Impact sockets only come in 6-point.

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...ets_WT_Import_

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...ets_Blackhawk_

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...ets_Blackhawk_

Last edited by invader; 10-22-2010 at 05:52 AM.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Garage
I love this idea, it made taking my front sprocket off a breeze!!!!!!!!!

'09 Versys
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

A picture is always better------------my memory isn't what it used to be---checked previous threads and found this:

Ok....What's the trick to removing the front sprocket nut?

My Nuts stuck in front

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:01 AM

More front sprocket experiences...I am doing my first sprocket and chain change at 20K and I expected it to go smoothly since I have an impact wrench. 2 hours and no luck. Then 2 things I did: bought a real 27mm 6-pt impact socket instead of using my 12-pt chrome vanadium, and I also used some penetrating oil on the countershaft and let it soak for the day. Came home from work and it spun right off no problem. Yeah! Now just need to buy a new nut after rounding off the old one from the bad decision to use a 12-pt. Don't do that

Walter
IBA# 55188

2009 Versys
Givi V35 sidecases w/ Admore lights
SW-Motech rear rack
Givi windscreen
First Gear dual heat-troller
Thermo-Bob
Denali D2D LED driving lights
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:28 AM

I had a hell of a time when I did mine -

I used the socket, AND a board through the wheel, AND a torch to heat up the nut/shaft enough to get it to suck in penetrating oil, AND a 3/4" drive wrench with a 4 foot cheater bar. (individually none of these worked)

when it finally popped loose I thought I'd broken something.

thankfully that should never happen again and it should be easy next time with the impact gun.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 PM

Garage
Glad you got it off.

Mine was stubborn even with an impact. I had to put my chain back on and ride to a buddies with a bigger compressor, and it resisted his as well. We had actually pretty well quit, but I hit it one more time with the impact, and off she came.

DANG.

Recently, I was quite pleased to see that my swing-arm was not installed by the same tech that spun the front sprocket on my VERS.

The swing-arm came off nice, like all other reports, the grease nearly non existent, but the bolt was shiny, free-rotating, and seemed to be plated or some corrosion resistant finish.

I feel like I have to keep going on the big nuts and bolts items to see what else I would never get off in a motel parking lot if I had to someday.

Again, glad you got that nut off. Are you stepping to a 16T front sprocket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode