7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 08:43 AM

me?

no I went with a fresh 15t front and a 44t rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:29 PM

Thought this thread could use a revival.

All I have to say is "CENSORED"!!!!!!!!!

This is one of the many reasons I will never buy another Kawasaki. 120 ft-lbs? Really? This started to spin on my 27mm socket using a 3' 1/2" drive breaker bar. Using the method as described by others.

Had to order a new nut after the nut would not come off. Dealer wanted 2 hours to replace the nut, I did it in 45 minutes.

Stupid tight, when there is a safety built in.

Advice? Take it to the dealer and pay them for an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumb Nut.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	108266  
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 PM

It's a piece of cake when you know what you're doing with proper tools.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Smile Soon to be a How to

Done

Last edited by onewizard; 12-15-2016 at 07:04 AM.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It's a piece of cake when you know what you're doing with proper tools.
As with anything, once it's done you are an expert. I feel like if I have to change another Versys' front sprocket I'm going to have to buy a replacement swingarm (wood through wheel).
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Impact Socket/ Deep Socket

Somewhere I have a post that makes it even easier, for now I will explain it, use the deep socket but jam a rag below and around the socket, like having someone hold it in place, have it in gear and move the rear wheel so that the tension is on the lower chain, place a piece of wood/ rubber, anything that will hold the tire in place. Do Not put a piece of wood between the swing arm and wheel, unless you want to replace the swing arm and chain at the same time .

And here is proof swingarm cracked
Urbanengineer likes this.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

FWIW - out of three Vs bought new, when I had to change the countershaft sprockets, the '08 was easy (Craftsman 1/2" air-impact wrench), the '09 was NOT (tried w/ an air-impact Ingersol Rand that can go to 500'/# on removal, then went to the Kawi shop who removed it for a case of beer), and a '15, which AGAIN was easy (the air-impact Ingersol Rand again).

Succeeding removals on all THREE were easy, as I torqued the nuts to the "factory recommended torque values"....
Urbanengineer likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Going back to the initial posting... He used his torque wrench as a breakover bar? With an extension pipe on it? Oookay...

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Somewhere I have a post that makes it even easier, for now I will explain it, use the deep socket but jam a rag below and around the socket, like having someone hold it in place, have it in gear and move the rear wheel so that the tension is on the lower chain, place a piece of wood/ rubber, anything that will hold the tire in place. Do Not put a piece of wood between the swing arm and wheel, unless you want to replace the swing arm and chain at the same time .

You mean do not use a thin piece of steel? I use a padded length of wood that is large enough.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Invader Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You mean do not use a thin piece of steel? I use a padded length of wood that is large enough.
Pray tell why are you changing your sprocket so often, that you have made a special piece of padded wood specifically for this??
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Pray tell why are you changing your sprocket so often, that you have made a special piece of padded wood specifically for this??
LOL! I replaced my countershaft sprocket twice, when I simply wrapped a wood stud of the right dimensions with an old blanket.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by invader; 12-16-2016 at 10:05 PM.
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:03 PM

Well it cannot get worse then this I suppose - I'm glad I cut mine off before I broke the stupid swingarm.

Quote:

I say it again, Kawasaki has a problem with quality control - Ninja 500 Speedo cables anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - out of three Vs bought new, when I had to change the countershaft sprockets, the '08 was easy (Craftsman 1/2" air-impact wrench), the '09 was NOT (tried w/ an air-impact Ingersol Rand that can go to 500'/# on removal, then went to the Kawi shop who removed it for a case of beer), and a '15, which AGAIN was easy (the air-impact Ingersol Rand again).

Succeeding removals on all THREE were easy, as I torqued the nuts to the "factory recommended torque values"....
So 1200 Foot-tons I suppose. I torqued to 90 and then bent the washer up.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:35 PM

It's not overtorqued at the factory... It just tends to stick a bit from initial assembly.
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:36 PM
TEK

Garage
Anyone have the nut details, part no#, ?

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Is this nut a righty or a lefty?
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Normal, counter clockwise. Just changed to 16 tooth a couple of days ago on my 2016. I've had problems on other bikes changing front sprockets, so this is not unique to the Versys. No problem with 1/2 inch Air impact, zipped right off.
quexpress likes this.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Is this nut a righty or a lefty?
Clockwise to tighten (righty) and counterclockwise (lefty) to loosen.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:12 PM

If I don't have someone to hold the rear brake, I stick a pipe through the wheel and the swingarm.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
If I don't have someone to hold the rear brake, I stick a pipe through the wheel and the swingarm.
You can ALWAYS find someone to hold the rear brakes ON if you can wait a bit.

WAY-Y-Y better than replacing a cracked swingarm....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You can ALWAYS find someone to hold the rear brakes ON if you can wait a bit.

WAY-Y-Y better than replacing a cracked swingarm....
Holy crap, just read through the rest of this thread. I've changed many a counter sprocket, but not yet on the V. Didn't realize the torque was so high, and that swingarms cracked with a method I've used in the past.

Thanks for the heads-up. Rear brake it is. Or I finally break down and get an impact wrench...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode