TPS setting - adjusting - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iszachary View Post
what is the vacuum mod that you mentioned? Is it regarding the tubing to the EVAP canister on CA models?
I believe CA models already have an EVAP canister vacuum hose T'd to both TB's... Vacuum hose mod on non-CA models consists of a 6" long 5/32" ID vacuum hose couplng the same TB vacuum fittings.

Last edited by invader; 03-25-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iszachary View Post
what is the vacuum mod that you mentioned? Is it regarding the tubing to the EVAP canister on CA models?
Vacuum Mod is linking the 2 pipes used to do Throttle balancing or synchronizing. Normally these pipes are blocked off. The mod is linking them with a heat resistant hose it helps smooth out the difference between the Throttle bodies.

Search there are threads about it.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 AM

Vacuum hose mod is not a cure or substitute for out of synch TB vacuum... It smooths out throttle response at low throttle opening and lower speed, by transfering some of the vacuum pulse between the two, which also affects Inlet Air Pressure sensor signal while operating in low-speed mode. IAP sensor vacuum hose is on its own left TB's left fitting which has a larger bore.

D-J Method and α-N Method:

When the engine load is light like at idling or low speed, the ECU determines the injection quantity by calculating from the throttle vacuum (inlet air pressure sensor) and engine speed (crankshaft sensor). This method is called D-J method (low-speed mode). As the engine speed increases, and the engine load turns middle to heavy, the ECU determines the injection quantity by calculating from the throttle opening (main throttle sensor) and the engine speed. This method is called α-N method (high-speed mode).

Last edited by invader; 03-25-2014 at 12:59 AM.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Any one know what size the TPS setting screws are?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Not sure about the threads, but it takes a T25 Torx tool.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:42 AM

Just wanted to post here and say thank you guys for all the information in this thread. I too had the lean issues of occasional popping back through the air box on decel, jerky on-off idle throttle control, clunky gear changes etc. I bought the adapter harness and went through the procedures of checking the tps with the factory service manual. Since the idle closed throttle position can variably change by the idle screw, I mainly went by the full open throttle position which will never change. According to the service manual 4.2-4.4v output at wide open throttle is within spec. Mine was showing 4.21v at wot position. I adjusted it ever so slightly to where the meter was showing exactly 4.30v at wot so that it was directly in the center of the spec range. I cannot believe how much of a difference this tiny adjustment made!! The motor has considerably smoothed out. On-off throttle control is very smooth now. No more lean popping and gear changes are butter smooth. I just love this bike and now I love it even more. This forum is great and you guys are the best!

P.S. I also had the issue with a t25 torx bit being too small and stripping and had to use a hammer to lightly bump a t27 in there to firmly fit the adjustment screw.
invader and onewizard like this.

2009 Blue Versys - 3,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode