Speed & Tacho signals - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to vianaj
Speed & Tacho signals

I'm willing to build a DYI Gear Indicator...
For that I need to know the ratios between ECU pin 6 Speed Sensor signal and ECU pin 47 Tachometer signals. Those signals are also available at cluster pins 5 and 6...
I know that speed sensor output 4 pulses per sprocket rev., because the sensor senses a square nut concentric with sprocket.
I do not know the relationship between crankshaft (ECU pins 13, 30) and Tachometer signal, but I will use this last one. Timing rotor has 22 teeth, therefore Crankshaft Sensor signals might output 22 pulses by revolution, but this signal is differential and pulses do noy have all the same duration. For the Tacho signal, the service manual refers that 133Hz will display 4000 RPM. Well, 4000 RPM is 66.6Hz hence, this signal might be 2 pulses per revolution.
If anyone has already checked those signals, comments are welcome. Thanks. Jose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 AM

So how long have you worked on the Mars rover?

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Till now, just on papers! :-)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 AM

Why not buy a cheap, magnet based, gear indicator?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

There are advantages and inconvenients in both GI either based on lever position or speed/tacho ratio...

V gearbox is too stiff... not very precise... therefore I think the GI will count even when gear is not engaged...

For such system, I would prefer to use an internally installed optical fiber laser detector instead of magnetic hall effect ones.

Let's see...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
So how long have you worked on the Mars rover?

Ed

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, and Inuvik, June '15
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=83034
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vianaj View Post
For that I need to know the ratios between ECU pin 6 Speed Sensor signal and ECU pin 47 Tachometer signals. Those signals are also available at cluster pins 5 and 6...
I know that speed sensor output 4 pulses per sprocket rev., because the sensor senses a square nut concentric with sprocket.
I do not know the relationship between crankshaft (ECU pins 13, 30) and Tachometer signal, but I will use this last one. Timing rotor has 22 teeth, therefore Crankshaft Sensor signals might output 22 pulses by revolution, but this signal is differential and pulses do noy have all the same duration. For the Tacho signal, the service manual refers that 133Hz will display 4000 RPM. Well, 4000 RPM is 66.6Hz hence, this signal might be 2 pulses per revolution.
If anyone has already checked those signals, comments are welcome. Thanks. Jose.
Some posts just make me feel dumb.

I hope you can make it and then explain how to all us simple people
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vianaj View Post

Just reading that made my head hurt. I'd just spend the $104 on a gear shift indicator and call it good, but I admire your gumption (I'm not technically old enough to use that work appropriately).

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 PM

I saw one on eBay for $24 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Univers...-/250868414833
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode