school me on chains and sprockets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

school me on chains and sprockets

I've got a couple of stiff links in my chain and will be replacing it shortly.

1) What sizes are the stock sprockets?

2) Steel are cheapest but do they rust? Are hardened aluminum any better as they are slightly more pricy

3) I believe I need a 520 chain but how many links?

4) Is paying more money for a better quality chain worth it. For example $60 ebay chain vs $150 DID XRing chain

5) I have access to a chain press tool so figure I don't need a chain with a master link, is my assumption correct? Do I need additional parts to join the chain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Garage
Stock Front 15T Rear 46T http://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1698

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Big difference on chain, DID O ring chain or any good quality chain, the manual lists the number of links. In Ontario it is illegal to use a clip or master link on a highway / street bike, theory is people don,t know how to install clip link. When I say illegal, it won't pass safety.

I am on my original chain, 16000 KM, sprockets look like new.I use trip "B" for lubing the chain, when I hit 500 KM , time to lube, reset trip and start again. FYI I have the Kawasaki 16 tooth front, about .015 " clearance between chain and housing. I use Dupont chain saver or multi-purpose lubricant, available from Lowes around $6.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:50 AM

I do prefer using the rivet link included with premium drive chains, although our local dealer does accept a clip link to pass safety inspection.

According to Ontario's Highway Traffic Act, R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 611, SAFETY INSPECTIONS.
Consolidation Period: From July 1, 2011 to the e-Laws currency date (June 29, 2012).

SCHEDULE 6: INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR MOTORCYCLES EXCEPT MOTORCYCLES WITH TWO FRONT WHEELS.
-BODY WORK
(7) No guard, where originally fitted, that protects against contact with the chain, belt or other moving drive component shall be missing or insecurely mounted.
(8) The chain, belt or driven sprocket shall not be excessively worn, frayed or loose and no fasteners in connection with those parts shall be missing, loose, cut or damaged.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...611_e.htm#BK13
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:53 AM

1) What sizes are the stock sprockets? OEM front 15, rear 46

2) Steel are cheapest but do they rust? Are hardened aluminum any better as they are slightly more pricy? Not much difference

3) I believe I need a 520 chain but how many links? 114 links

4) Is paying more money for a better quality chain worth it. For example $60 ebay chain vs $150 DID XRing chain? Buy a reputable brand. I use DID.

5) I have access to a chain press tool so figure I don't need a chain with a master link, is my assumption correct? Do I need additional parts to join the chain? Not sure what meant, but the parts needed should be in the chain box.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Steel will last longer.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 PM

being whipped by my dominatrix with a chain will sting, when she uses the sprocket, it really really hurts.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM

Naughty--Naughty--
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Still wondering about brand/type of sprockets though. Any differences? Aluminum or steel?
I bought a set that seems quite good from sprocketcenter.com

I chose to go to a 43-tooth rear since I was riding a whole bunch on the interstate. It made a big difference. I am not an aggressive rider and I have quite a bit of fun on my re-geared '08 Versys. It was certainly that my OEM (steel) front sprocket that was the culprit requiring me to replace the whole set. The front was significantly warn at 18,000 miles. The rear sprocket showed no sign of wear. I am only up to just over 21,000 miles now and so I cannot say much about longevity, but it was straightforward to install the chain and sprockets (with an impact wrench on the front sprocket nut) with the tool for riveting the chain.

The set that I received had a steel front (not rubber 'damped'), and alloy rear and a 112-pin DID gold chain. It turns out, if you go to gearingcommander.com, you will find that a 15-tooth front, a 43-tooth rear and a 112-pin chain has the best wear characteristics that you can hope for. The shorter chain makes up somewhat for the smaller rear sprocket (which may make the assembly sit far back in the adjustment range).

You can use gearingcommander.com to tell you about the wear (and other) characteristics of different sprocket/chain combinations.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 AM

Aluminum Sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Thanks for the info.

Still wondering about brand/type of sprockets though. Any differences? Aluminum or steel?
I bought an aluminum rear sprocket...a Vortex. That's a high tech reputable brand. Don't do it! The aluminum sprocket wore out quickly and lost the teeth around 5000 miles and I thought my bike was backfiring. Really, the chain was slipping because the sprocket had no teeth! It was a complete waste of money. I replaced that with a 42t steel JT sprocket.

2009 Kw Versys: Green!

Barkbusters, Chrome helmet locks, GPS mount, Pyramid Fender Extender, LED accessory lights,
JT 42T rear sprocket, Givi V35 PLX sidecases, Coocase V36 Topcase, SW-Motech mirror wideners, Superbike GX mirrors, MRA VarioTouringScreen, ROX Anti-vibe Risers, T-Rex sliders, SW Motech engine guards, Motowerks Lowering Link
DNLP D616 120/70ZR17 front
DNLP D616 180/55ZR17 rear

The rest is
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't_Stop View Post
I bought an aluminum rear sprocket... and lost the teeth around 5000 miles. It was a complete waste of money. I replaced that with a 42t steel JT sprocket.
I am not sure that this is an accurate reflection of all aluminum sprockets on the Versys. I do not know how they will age completely, but I have over 3000 miles on my alloy rear sprocket and it shows no signs of wear.

I do not know if 'Don't_Stop' is actually using a 42-tooth rear, but that is the first time I have heard of going to that small of a rear sprocket on the Versys.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Just did some math: changing 15 front to a 16 is VIRTUALLY the same change as using a 43 rear, while a 42 is only about 1.5% lower. (With stock 15F.)

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM

BikeBandit chain and sprockets....

Works for me! Had to remove a couple links. but was the the best package for the pocket! Good for about 12-13k miles...Hopefully will get more miles now that I have a chain oiler mounted?

Western Power Sports 520 HSO O-Ring Motorcycle Chain Rivet Master Link
O-Ring, Rivet Links, Gold
1 $4.05

Sunstar Steel Motorcycle Sprocket
1 $18.86

Sunstar Steel OE Replacement Motorcycle Sprocket
1 $43.16

Western Power Sports 520 HSO O-Ring Motorcycle Chain
O-Ring, Natural, 114
1 $64.76

1972 Yamaha DT80
1982 Honda XR200rL
1983 Yamaha IT-465
1984 Suzuki GS1150es
1986 Kawasaki KX250
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600r
1988 Yamaha FZR400
1994 Honda XR650l
2000 Kawasaki KLX300r Street Legal!
Current ride 2009 Kawasaki Versys.

If your going too fast...your Going to crash!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Ordered some Sunstar steel sprockets in stock sizes and a DID VX XRing chain from CheapCycleParts.com yesterday. Even with shipping from the US seems to be cheaper than local dealer.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM

After reading the comments and advice here on this forum thread, I have gone with 46 tooth rear, 15 tooth front sprocket, and a 114 link DID X ring chain in gold (they were out of the natural finish I was hoping for). Before the change, I have just under 18K miles on my 08 650 Versys, and I was getting a surging feeling and rub in my chain near the front sprocket. Shifts between gears "slapped" it seemed. I had only ridden for about 500 miles since I bought the bike used, and was thinking that was "just how it is" as far as the slappy shift. 2 weeks ago I got my tires changed, and when I rode home, the surging, rubbing sound was worse. After re inspection the tech told me the sprockets really needed changing and the chain was bad. Finally today I got it into my friends motorcycle shop and he helped me with the change of sprockets and chain. WOW what a difference. It's like a whole different bike! I could't believe how smooth it was, how much less vibration and NO SLAP when I shift. I am so happy. A great day - I learned how to change the sprockets, hands on with a great technician, and the results are phenomenal. I considered going with the 43T Rear option but since I mostly ride in town commuting to work, I liked the 46 just fine for that. At 60 mph I am at about 5500 rpm...smooth as silk. Big smile. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. <salute>

Check out my videos on youtube. Leave your links to your channel in the comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode