how to adjust throttle cables - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

1Likes
  • 1 Post By IAMRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

how to adjust throttle cables

My 2011 Versys throttle doesn't close like it should....if turn to full open and then let go it closes smoothly but doesn't snap close like every other bike I have ever had does..... the service manual says to turn the accel cable all the way in to give slack and then adjust the decel cable tell there is not slack and then adjust the accel cable to regain slack....the last part does not make any sense cause with the accel cable turned all the way in and the decel cable tight all adjusting the accel cable does is tighten it more......what am I missing here.....

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM

Before you start adjusting the cables, make sure that the cables are not pinched by the guide loops. Some time ago, Invader found that throttle cables were often pinched by the guide loop up under the cowling. Mine were, as were several others. Made a big difference on smooth operation to open up the loop and remove pressure off the cable.

And, also make sure the cables are well lubricated.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 PM

and then

Once you've done what Scotty says, then just take the tension out of the loop down at the engine. Mine had alot of slop, cable slack, so moving from throttle on to off had about 1/4 inch cable slack. Taking the slack out has made it very responsive.

Someday is not a day of the week.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Once you've done what Scotty says, then just take the tension out of the loop down at the engine. Mine had alot of slop, cable slack, so moving from throttle on to off had about 1/4 inch cable slack. Taking the slack out has made it very responsive.
which adjuster do I use to take the tension out with...I noticed what seem to be a lot of slack in the decel cable that why I was trying to adjust it...

Dan
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
which adjuster do I use to take the tension out with...I noticed what seem to be a lot of slack in the decel cable that why I was trying to adjust it...

Dan

ok I think I am understanding this now...when the SM talks about removing slack on the decel cable its not talking about free play at the throttle tube...I was trying to take out all the free play with the decel cable duh!!!!!!

Dan
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 PM

While you do all the above do check on the Throttle grip and how much you have free play there. sometime pushing the grip to the end can cause tightness on return of throttle.

There must be a small gap between the rip end and the switch housing.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 AM

According to service manual:

"Throttle Grip Free Play: 2-3 mm
If the throttle grip doesn’t return properly, check the throttle cable routing, grip free play, and cable damage. Then lubricate the throttle cable.
To adjust, loosen the locknut at the upper end of the accelerator cable. (under throttle grip) Turn the adjuster in completely so as to give the throttle grip plenty of play. Loosen the locknut at the middle of the decelerator cable. (see pic) Turn the adjuster until there is no play when the throttle grip is completely closed. Tighten the locknut. Turn the accelerator cable adjuster until the proper amount of throttle grip free play is obtained. Tighten the locknut."

You can easily pull the mid-cable adjuster that runs over the engine, adjust it then check with cable back up in its natural position. Shown here with locknut loosened and backed up to the right:

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 AM

You don't even need the decel cable. Unhook it and leave it sitting beside the throttle for a spare. Another govt. nanny-state requirement.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
You don't even need the decel cable. Unhook it and leave it sitting beside the throttle for a spare. Another govt. nanny-state requirement.

could u explain further..why is it required???
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 PM

The decel cable is redundant. The return spring is sufficiently strong to return the throttle.

The decel cable was mandated by some overt government regulation.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
The decel cable is redundant. The return spring is sufficiently strong to return the throttle.

The decel cable was mandated by some overt government regulation.
I wonder how many bikes like mine are out there running around with the decel cable so loose from the dealer it doesn't do anything anyways....interesting info

Dan
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Hello

I need some help adjusting my throtle cable.

1st of all, my upper adjuster rotates the cable with it. Is that normal? I doesn't rotate freely like the bottom one

Another question I have is that when I turn all the way to the left, the freeplay increases. When I turn al the way to the right it almost disapears!!
Is that supposed to be like that? Now I dont know if it came like that because I only notice after adjusting the my throttle with the bottom adjuster (as the upper one doenst actually adjust anything)

Also, how and where do you measure the 2-3mm of freeplay? at the left bigger part of the throttle (which is near the buttons case) ou at the normal part where we grip?

Thanks!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 AM

Upper adjuster should rotate freely on the cable housing end. It's probably just a bit tight.

It is normal for the freeplay to change as you turn handlebars, which bends or straightens throttle cable housing.

That's 2-3mm of freeplay at the normal grip part (at grip outer diameter) with steering straight.

Last edited by invader; 10-08-2012 at 03:13 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM

The cable at the pulley should not be too tight.
Put one finger on the top wire at the pulley and the other finger adjusting the upper adjuster when throttle at zero.
it should not be tight and some slack.Test that the throttle snaps backs upon release.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 10-08-2012 at 08:13 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
According to service manual:

"Throttle Grip Free Play: 2-3 mm
If the throttle grip doesn’t return properly, check the throttle cable routing, grip free play, and cable damage. Then lubricate the throttle cable.
To adjust, loosen the locknut at the upper end of the accelerator cable. (under throttle grip) Turn the adjuster in completely so as to give the throttle grip plenty of play. Loosen the locknut at the middle of the decelerator cable. (see pic) Turn the adjuster until there is no play when the throttle grip is completely closed. Tighten the locknut. Turn the accelerator cable adjuster until the proper amount of throttle grip free play is obtained. Tighten the locknut."

You can easily pull the mid-cable adjuster that runs over the engine, adjust it then check with cable back up in its natural position. Shown here with locknut loosened and backed up to the right:

So, I'm reviving this post since I have this exact problem these day

Invader, the pic mentionned in your post has disapeared, do you have it somewhere in file ?

Thank's

LOP
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 AM

Garage
Also, is the "return spring" in the throttle handle or in the throttle body ? (I would assume in the later, but maybe in both)

LOP
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:51 PM

Garage
Throttle body. No spring in handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throtle body.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	88602  
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Last edited by IAMRA; 04-26-2016 at 01:55 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
Throttle body. No spring in handle.
Thank's !
From what gen this pict ?

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode