STATOR WINDING INFORMATION / CAUSES
Well I am going to start with a little at a time so no confusion.What I found on OEM stator;
It is wound with 18 gauge magnet wire , no idea as to temperature rating but I doubt it is class H http://www.superioressex.com/uploade...ss-ratings.pdf
. so--------------it is Delta connected, 18 gauge is 1624 circular mils, as a rule of thumb we used 250 cm per ampere where concern of insulation breakdown in a high heat area, that was 35 years ago, present day magnet wire can easily run at 100'C,when I say that, electric motor ratings have a temperature rise rating, typical T frame motors coming out now have a 80'C rise rating. What this means is in a 30'C ambient temperature the motor outside shell could be 110'C at full load, so you could easily boil water on the motor---------and it is designed to operate like that-----if there is interest I could go further, however, like anything, the higher the temperature the shorter the lifespan of the equipment. They have much higher classes of insulation now, class C will be cheaper than H.
So OEM is connected Delta, that is 2 #18 gauge wires per line ( 18 is 1624 cm) = 3248 cm divided by 16 amp AC max = 203 cm per amp.AC 16 x 1.73 x 12 volts = 332 Watts
Where I have a problem is some after market stators have converted to a Y connection, mathematically the turns per pole will be the delta turns divided by root 3 ( 1.73) = Y turns. As a example OEM is roughly 44 turns of 18 gauge wire connected Delta, a Y connected would be 25 turns per pole.
Now you need to convert the wire size , calculated is 2810 which is 15.5 gauge , I would use 15 gauge which is 3248 cm, basically what we had on OEM Delta.
This is were I have a problem, after market winds Y connected, but uses the same delta wire gauge of 18, this calculates to 101 cm per amp. So if you were to put a series regulator in, average current is 8 amp per phase and magically you are back to 202 cm per ampere.
So what I plan is to do a separate post with pictures as to OEM and RM stator ( I have emailed them and judging by the immediate response, they aren't interested in anything I have to say).
Short version of OEM failure is mistakes were made in one of the phase connections, I can't prove if line 2 was the same because both wires were burnt off / broken and a third jumper wire was also broken in the same pole----all one big burned mess. What they did is all the starts and finishes for each pole crossed over each other at the base of the pole piece, as well the jumpers from each pole were all buried at the base of the pole, to reduce congestion they brought the six wires around the back of the poles to make connections, all done within 3 poles.
What happened is one of the magnet wires from pole# 5 was buried in pole #1 along with pole #1 , what happened is the wrong 2 wires were joined.So it was a 2 phase delta connection, and the regulator probably rarely shunted any power.