Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Radiator leaking?

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  hunt 
#1 ·
In the two pictures, does it look as if my radiator has sprung a leak? I have cleaned it several times and watched it dry no white streaks. Ride and park no streaks. Look at later and streaks are back. There are no streaks on the fan side of the radiator just the front side. Anyone else seen this with theirs?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It look like white stuff and doesn't look like coolant to me. Is your coolant somewhat white?

Could it be you went over some liquid on the road and it got caught up by the front tires and swung onto the fins? A radaitor leak will show itself when the rev's are high up at maximum radiator pressure.

#3 ·
Ever since I got my new 09, I had noticed white spots on top of my black boot but only on my right foot.

Yesterday I found the culprit. I checked the connections on my radiator and the top hose connection had white deposits all around and on the hose. I took out my tools and I tightened the hose clamp directly beneath the top of the right faring. I rode for almost 3 hours yesterday - not a drop on my boots and no more streaking on the hose.

Now I need to check the coolant level and top it off if it has fallen below the fill line.

You will get streaks on the front of your radiator due to the short front wheel fender. But, if it's chalky white, it very well could be coolant. The spots on my boots and around the hose clamp was a chalky white color.

#5 ·
What is the year and mileage of your bike?

Mine is a new 09 with about 1000 miles on it. I will check coolant level when I get home today. FWIW, I have never seen white chalky coolant - always been green or yellow. When I first noticed it on my boot I thought it was due to water I was riding through on a road that I frequently use.

#6 ·
Its a 09 bought in July 10 (heck of a deal on it to). Since July of last year I've put almost 8000 miles on it. Its always had the white streaks on it until I clean it. Look at the other posts about the water pump leaking, the dried coolant has a white appearance to it. That got me thinking leaking coolant,maybe just a little weep in the fins. I've put coolant in the tank twice once after purchase and once maybe a week ago,while I had the faring off. I have looked at the waterpump and else where for little leaks and the only one was at the bottom of the rad. hose.

#7 ·
I learned something new today, thanks to this post. Dried coolant is whitish, that I did not know. I realized that the relief hose that is connected to the overflow of the expansion tank has whitish stuff since day 0.

#8 ·
My coolant level was down to almost the low mark. I topped it off to almost the high mark. Been riding it twice since, and have had no more spots on my boots and the level has not dropped. I do have stains on my radiator, but not due to coolant, due to water flying off my front tire.

#9 ·
Update on my stains. Found out the overflow hose has a leak, when I rode and heat built up the and the radiator cap released the pressure the hose would spray coolant on the back of the radiator. The stain on the left was where the spray was hitting and the one on the right is where it filtered down to when I put in on the kick stand. The spray was small smaller than the thickness of a hair,but just big enough to see in just the right conditions.Replaced the hose and no more staining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.