First Question...Lowering Kit? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

First Question...Lowering Kit?

This is my first bike (new 2010) and I've been reading about lowering kits. I am 5'4" 160lbs with an inseam around 28". The bike is staying at the dealers until the snow leaves. I am wondering if I should have them install a lowering kit or wait until I try the bike for awhile. I am hoping they will take the time and have the skill to set the suspension proper for my size. In the show room I was on my toe's.

As there is a racetrack 5 minutes from my house, I hope to one day take the bike out on the odd track day with some friends (after a lot of seat time and lessons)

Thanks ALL

One Down...keep kicking up till you run out of road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormad View Post
This is my first bike (new 2010) and I've been reading about lowering kits. I am 5'4" 160lbs with an inseam around 28". I am wondering if I should have them install a lowering kit or wait until I try the bike for awhile.
I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam 160 lbs and I rode it for about 200 miles before my Speedy's Lowering Kit arrived. I do not think you will enjoy the height without it lowered. You can ride it, but the starts and stops will be on tip toes. Without the lowering of the bike, I could have kept riding, but now it fits me.

Don't forget to lower the front as well as to buy the 2010 flatfoot as well to shorten the kickstand length. If you don't shorten the kickstand, the bike will part too upright for comfort...

Enjoy the new ride!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM

I would say depends on how comfortable you feel and how much experience you have.

I'm also on my toes with this bike but I had dirt bike experience prior. I've never been able to flat foot any of my dirt bikes.....except my very first one, a 1974 something or other 175cc.

I feel comfortable on my toes with the versys and it's my first (real) street bike.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Definitely get the lowering kit, especially as this is your first bike. You are going to drop it at some point, it's only a matter of time, not if, so it would a good idea to get a guard as well. At 5'4" and 28 inch inseam this was not the best choice for a first bike but you are going to love it, just be very very careful.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Get it done while its sitting in the dealers place. Its dangerous when you are unable to flat foot and it will take a toll on you.

No harm getting it done while you have the time.

Be safe always. Get the bike set to your comfort zone before you ride it.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM

You should seriously consider an ER6 or Ninja 650 at your height. Motorcycling is difficult and dangerous enough without worrying about falling over. I would say it's actually a safety issue. I love my Versys but only because it fit me better than most bikes (Im 6 foot 1). If you do get The Versys do the lowering before you ride it, it makes a big difference and will make it easier and safer for you. Just my opinion. I would never ride a bike on public roads if I could only touch my toes.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Great! Thanks guys for all the advice...Do I have a choice in lowering Kits? i.e Factory or aftermarket?

One Down...keep kicking up till you run out of road.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormad View Post
Great! Thanks guys for all the advice...Do I have a choice in lowering Kits? i.e Factory or aftermarket?
There is no "Factory" lowering kit. Speedy's is the only way to go and I don't think the dealer will install it for you. It's not that hard to install.

I'm 5'8" also with a 28" inseam and would not ride the Versys without the lowering kit.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Just so you know who "Speedy" is - MotoWerk. And here's a link:
http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:30 PM

I hope to get my lowering kit fitted this week, I will try and get some pics after.
I can ride it perfectly well at normal height and with low gel seat but I still prefer the extra confidence that getting both feet firmly on the ground will give me.

BTW, I have bought the lower ER6 (Ninja 650 to ya'll in U.S) side stand, to save me cutting Versys side stand and adding flat foot.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 PM

I agree with all the others. GET SPEEDY'S LOWERING KIT. I am 5'6" with a 29" inseam. I have both Speedy's lowering kit and a low gel seat. They work great! Lowering the bike lowers the center of gravity and (I feel) enhances handeling. It will work well for track days.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Absolutely install Speedy's lowering kit, AND get a thinner seat. Either get the OEM gel seat or modify the stock seat: remove the foam in front and replace it with a thin gel pad. You need to lower the seat height by about four inches to be able to flat foot it. Speedy's kit will lower the bike around 1 5/8". You can get another 2" with a thinner seat; and another half inch by lowering the front (raising the forks) and softening up the suspension.

Last edited by ScottyNeal; 02-26-2011 at 11:46 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 AM

Speedy Website

Well... I just looked on Speedy's website and found a "Standard Lowing Kit" and a "WR Lowering Kit." Does anyone know which one I'll need? I have a 2010 model. It says something about ABS ready? How do I tell if mine is ABS ready or not?

Also, ScottyNeal and 767 mentioned a thinner OEM or gel seat. Where can I get one of these? Thank you in advance!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcrum View Post
Well... I just looked on Speedy's website and found a "Standard Lowing Kit" and a "WR Lowering Kit." Does anyone know which one I'll need? I have a 2010 model. It says something about ABS ready? How do I tell if mine is ABS ready or not?

Also, ScottyNeal and 767 mentioned a thinner OEM or gel seat. Where can I get one of these? Thank you in advance!

Usually you can tell if you have ABS because there is a sticker on front forks near the bottom or I think your model will be described on your owners documents as e.g. Versys A7f for non ABS and Versys B7f for ABS (where 7 is 2007 for example).
If you don't have ABS then you need standard lowering kit and also a flat foot to attach to your side stand, as you need to cut it (all instructions on motowerks website).

Kawasaki can get you a low gel seat but it will be expensive. Sometimes you can get one on Ebay or through this forum. I have the low gel seat and it looks good as well as lowering seat height!.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM

I also have a 28" inseam. The lowering kit is the way to go.

I would recommend holding off on the purchase of a lower seat until you put some miles on the bike. My thinking is one modification at a time allows you to evaluate the modification that was performed. If you do not need a lower seat you will save some major $$$$.

Recheck Speedy's site. There are instructions concerning identifying which lower kit will be correct for your application.

Last edited by Ziggy; 02-27-2011 at 08:23 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Ride safe atgatt!

Be aware cormad, if you do ride it as is and stop on a grade, you may not reach the ground at all, depending on the grade and your position on it, and fall over.

Being 6'1" and new, when I put my foot down and the ground wasn't where I expected it to be(on a hill), it can through you.

Loose or wet ground can be trouble too. Regardless of tiptoes or not!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Here's the definitive thread on Speedy's lowering kit, for future reference of those who might see this thread first when they search, if they search at all...sigh:
Lowering kit for Versys.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcrum View Post
It'll be a LOT cheaper to send your seat to Spencer for modification than it is to buy an OEM or aftermarket low seat.
+1 on lowering the bike before you leave the dealer. Balls of your feet are OK, but tiptoes are bad.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 AM

I was hesitant on getting a lowering kit because like you I could touch tipie toe and all me dirt bikes I touch tipietoe and I ride fine that way. Yet, for my first street bike I decided to be do everything possible to reduce the risk so I lowered the bike. I bought Speedy's lowering kit and I am so glad I did. My control and riding ability is better-it is easier to ride in town with especially with a lot of stop and goes.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM

I was good with touching just on my tiptoes -- after all, the Versys is pretty light compared to the Harleys I've been riding for the past few years and I have been riding since 1982. But now that I laid down my Electra Glide (and do not plan to have it repaired), the Versys is going to be my only bike; and after all my injuries from this accident, I don't want to chance riding it on my tiptoes anymore.

Here's my question: should I have it lowered first or get a lower seat? Frankly, I hate the seat with the heat of a thousand suns, and I'm 99% sure I'll be getting another one. But! Even if I get another seat, I might not like it, and I may have to lower the pegs after that as well. If I lower the whole bike (MotoWerks), maybe I can just have the stock seat sliced up a bit and move the front up.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode