First Question...Lowering Kit? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I was good with touching just on my tiptoes -- after all, the Versys is pretty light compared to the Harleys I've been riding for the past few years and I have been riding since 1982. But now that I laid down my Electra Glide (and do not plan to have it repaired), the Versys is going to be my only bike; and after all my injuries from this accident, I don't want to chance riding it on my tiptoes anymore.

Here's my question: should I have it lowered first or get a lower seat? Frankly, I hate the seat with the heat of a thousand suns, and I'm 99% sure I'll be getting another one. But! Even if I get another seat, I might not like it, and I may have to lower the pegs after that as well. If I lower the whole bike (MotoWerks), maybe I can just have the stock seat sliced up a bit and move the front up.

Opinions?

I would go with the lowering kit and get the seat worked on.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormad View Post
This is my first bike (new 2010) and I've been reading about lowering kits. I am 5'4" 160lbs with an inseam around 28". The bike is staying at the dealers until the snow leaves. I am wondering if I should have them install a lowering kit or wait until I try the bike for awhile. I am hoping they will take the time and have the skill to set the suspension proper for my size. In the show room I was on my toe's.

As there is a racetrack 5 minutes from my house, I hope to one day take the bike out on the odd track day with some friends (after a lot of seat time and lessons)

Thanks ALL
My bike came with a lowering kit installed from the previous owner. It works well but requires tweaking the rear suspension settings since the spring/shock has a slightly different angle and therefore leverage on the swing arm. It also requires dropping the forks 1 inch in the triple tree. Having the rear lowered but not the front will impair handling. Speedy's lowering link works well and is of high quality. There are no issues with cornering clearance with the bike lowered due to the high initial ground clearance.

That said I choose to remove it and return the bike to it's original height as I have a 32 inch inseam. With a 28 inch inseam you will be barely able to touch your toes so I think you will prefer the lowering kit, it also lowers the center of gravity of the bike noticeably and makes it a lot easier to heft off the kickstand and pedal backwards out of a parking space.

I would avoid doing anything to the kickstand as the bike sits securely on the OEM kickstand with the lowering kit installed due to the fact the bike leans quite a bit at it's normal height with the OEM kickstand. The OEM kickstand seemed just right with the lowering kit installed. I thought perhaps the previous owner had shortened the kickstand because of this but it turned out to be the original length when I measured it.

To install the lowering kit is easy but you will need an automotive type roller floor jack. Lift the bike under the right side foot peg attachment point to tripod the bike on the front wheel and kickstand. You only need to remove one bolt on the lower end of the shock. Raising the forks requires a bit more work though and a rear pit stand to hold the bike upright and steady. Note you will need to purchase a rear spool/pit stand for the bike anyway as there is no center stand on this bike in which to hold it up for chain maintenance or other maintenance work. When raising the front forks it is easier if you remove both the front wheel and front fender and be precise by measuring with a ruler. I used a front stand that lifted the front under the triple tree however I have seen this done with a block and tackle attached to an overhead rafter and the handle bars.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-10-2017 at 04:02 AM.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I was good with touching just on my tiptoes -- after all, the Versys is pretty light compared to the Harleys I've been riding for the past few years and I have been riding since 1982. But now that I laid down my Electra Glide (and do not plan to have it repaired), the Versys is going to be my only bike; and after all my injuries from this accident, I don't want to chance riding it on my tiptoes anymore.

Here's my question: should I have it lowered first or get a lower seat? Frankly, I hate the seat with the heat of a thousand suns, and I'm 99% sure I'll be getting another one. But! Even if I get another seat, I might not like it, and I may have to lower the pegs after that as well. If I lower the whole bike (MotoWerks), maybe I can just have the stock seat sliced up a bit and move the front up.

Opinions?
There are a lot of ways to approach this - It might be easier to treat these two issues separately.

After riding my V for nine seasons, and being on this forum (and the UK V forum) for the same amount of time - here's what I know:

The stock seat is pretty much universally disliked. There are many aftermarket seats available and modification of the stock seat is possible. There are many threads on this forum covering both these options. Some aftermarket seats are higher than stock, some are lower, some the same as stock. Keep in mind the stock seat foam is so soft (at least on the '08 V) that it tends to compress during a ride, becoming lower over time.

There are many long legged and short legged riders that like riding the lowered V. [I'm long legged and my V is lowered and I like it that way.]

Some have the opinion that a "lower / flatter seat" will have less cushion or less depth, and may be less comfortable on long rides. On the other hand - I would think that if the shape is right, it would be good enough.

If you bought the lowering link and found that you didn't like it, you could always sell it on the forum. Same goes for a seat.

I have a Seat Concepts seat that I plan to sell soon (or trade for a lower Seat Concepts seat).

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Lowering Link/ In How To

1st Motorcycle I started a thread in How To, compiling other posts. I will add more later.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...and I may have to lower the pegs after that as well. Opinions?....
Lowering the footpegs is a totally OTHER issue, and I recommend it to open up the "rider triangle" for you, regardless of whether you lower the bike or not. Your knees will appreciate it!
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Lowering the footpegs is a totally OTHER issue, and I recommend it to open up the "rider triangle" for you, regardless of whether you lower the bike or not. Your knees will appreciate it!
I agree

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Lowering/ Highway Pegs/Lowering Pegs

This has been discussed many times, many find it hard to understand, I have a 30" inseam, my 2015 is lowered, has the lowering pegs and the highway pegs. Do I need them? Absolutely, one of the reasons I am able to do 600 KM rides with the OEM seat, whenever possible I am on my highway pegs, say 80% of my ride, without my lowering pegs I would be getting cramping in my feet, doesn't look like much, but the difference is huge from the comfort stand point.JMHO

So I intend to include this in the lowering How To Thread, and in reality, if you are smart, order everything at once and save on shipping from Speedy or wherever you intend to buy it. I bought the lowering link, highway mounts, lowering peg mounts, brake pedal extender, flat foot, but didn't think I needed the mirror extenders, well I just got them at Christmas from Santa, HO HO HO
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-10-2017 at 04:25 PM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Thanks, everyone! I too am a long distance rider, and I hope to eventually be able to ride the Versys 500 miles/day like I did my Electra Glide. That's why I put on the highway pegs and a throttle lock. I think I may try the lowering kit first and see how it goes. Who knows? After I lower the bike, I can lift the front of the seat with the washer fix suggested in this forum, and that may actually be enough to make the seat bearable.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...After I lower the bike, I can lift the front of the seat with the washer fix suggested in this forum, and that may actually be enough to make the seat bearable.
I raised the front of the seats on my three Vs w/in days of getting them, and now have OVER 128,000 miles on them, w/ MANY VERY long days in the saddle(s)....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode