Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

FI Issues on an '08???

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Tigerpawed 
#1 ·
My shiny new blue '09 inspired a friend to get a used red '08 recently. It's been a bit beat up, dropped by some dumb*** kid going to a motorcycle mechanics institute and run hard off-road without much maintenance. It had 13,000 miles on it but seemed generally mechanically sound. If this kid had been allowed to continue his sins, he would have killed it promptly!

Anyway, the only thing that bugged me about it was this noise when you started it up. It did the normal fuel injection start-up where the tachometer ran all the way up, all the way down, and made some quiet noises like we're all used to. But in the background, behind that quiet systems check noise, there was super digital cranky noise as well. The kid said it had always done that and that it was normal. I had doubts. It's hard to explain. I imagine if a robot from the future were ticked off and wanted to communicate this, it would make this noise. It's a digital-sounding "grinding" or maybe more accurately it's the digital version of a cackling. It's like a computer system misfiring almost. Making any sense at all?

The bike's behaving okay but my friend told me yesterday that it had a little trouble starting in the garage. It has been cold here, but I've never had problems at all with mine. She said when she was trying to start it, the FI light came on. I didn't see it and this could have been just the regular systems check FI light coming on, where it goes off again right away, but I don't know.

Any of this ringing any bells? Any way to check and see if the FI system is doing it's thing? It sounds normal when it's running and I cannot tell a difference in performance when I ride it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like a bad subthrottle valve actuator... The FI light will go OFF after being on, if a sensor comes back into range for any reason. The ECU will resume normal operation. However, the event is memorized.

To recover codes set in memory (Diagnostic Mode 2); KEY ON, touch the self-diagnosis terminal (orange/black single female connector under seat) rapidly to ground more than 5 times within 2 seconds. The lead must remain grounded (after 5 groundings) for the remainder of the diagnostic session. The codes will readout exactly as in Mode 1.

CODE Malfunction

11_______ Main throttle sensor
12_______ Inlet air pressure sensor
13_______ Inlet air temperature sensor
14_______ Water temperature sensor
21_______ Crankshaft sensor
24 & 25___Speed sensor (24 then 25, repeatedly)
31_______Vehicle-down sensor
32_______Subthrottle sensor
33_______Oxygen sensor inactive (Europe)
51_______Ignition Coil #1
52_______Ignition Coil #2
56_______Radiator Fan Relay
62_______Subthrottle valve actuator (sensor in range but not responding)
64_______Air switching valve
67_______Oxygen sensor heater (Europe)
94_______Oxygen sensor out-of-range

To clear codes from the ECU, enter MODE 2, pull the clutch in for more than 5 seconds.

#4 ·
Tiger - No, not normal. Most definitely not normal, but possibly not a big deal. My '09 does not make this noise while her screwed over '08 does. Both make the wind up noise you are describing and everything pressurizes, but hers makes a terrible noise as well. It kind of sounds like an old modem almost.

Invader - THANKS! I'll find someone with a tester.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.