• 1 Post By Big Chuck
  • 1 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By Big Chuck
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Broken Chain!

A week ago the master link on my chain let go... while I was accelerating in second gear.
I must have lost the clip at some point.

No room for anything but the one width of a link on these P-twins...

So the "Sling Guard" molded into the case and the "Oil Tube" conveniently located just in front of that usually take the brunt of the angry chain trying to force it's way past all at once...

Normally the oil tube is cracked in two, the bolts holding it on are bent, and at least one of the mounting bolt holes are cracked apart...

Usually this upper mounting bolt hole is almost completely cracked off the case... but can be "rebuilt" with something like JB Weld.

Mine was not that bad.

$58 for the tube, $2 a piece for new bolts, (she will live without the "sling guard", so ignore it and move on) quick fix and it's back on the road!... or so I thought.

I guess my transmission didn't like the sudden stop... had a rattle when I started it up, so I started pulling things apart until I found the problem...

One gear on each shaft, most likely the ones doing the work at the time, missing teeth.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:21 AM

What type of master link was it, who installed it, and how?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What type of master link was it, who installed it, and how?
A "Clip" type... by me... and there is only one way to put one on (unless you count putting the clip on "against" the direction of the chain.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ouch.... Ouch... and OUCH.!
Gosh Dang it... you broke a tooth!

Hope you mend it soon.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 AM

Question

Which make and model of chain was it? Why did you not install a proper rivet link?
Wolfcamp likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:52 AM

Garage
All of my bikes have "master links" in the chains. I installed them myself...never any problems. My local shop even recommends them. I use DID chains. Maybe you got a bad chain. I buy DID chains.

My 2 cents
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
$hit man glad you didnt go down and sorry to see your bike damaged good thing our motor is super common so you can just replace the motor for close to or less then fixing your damaged one... id start looking for a totaled out ninja with a good motor

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Garage
OUCH! That's some impressive damage for a simple broken chain. At least you are unharmed. And Silviefox has a good suggestion, might be worth your time to find a good engine on a totaled bike, no telling if there is damage inside the engine if you managed to break some gear teeth.

Steves308
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New gear set already ordered... thank you ebay! So glad these things are compatable across so many years and models...
I have used clip links for many years without a problem, but I will use a rivet link this time around. No sense tempting fate too many times...
No other damage to the motor... these are surprisingly robust engines. Can't say as I blame it, I couldn't have held on at a 7000 rpm "event" either! I count myself lucky this is all the damage there is.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Which make and model of chain was it?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM

Being as you have changed the clip type master links several times I feel sure you didn't do this, but I've seen a lot of master links come apart because the clip was installed with the open end facing the direction the chain was going.
lanebanger likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Which make and model of chain was it?
DiD Vx2
invader likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 PM

Sorry for such massive damage because of a chain & Clip. Always recommended is chain & rivet..clip for emergency purpose only - my 2cts thoughts.

Hope you get on the road again soon.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 AM

Damn clip style master links...

There is always a few guys in a crowd who keeps saying they clip master link is good because they luckily never had problems, and they totally ignores all the other guys that have had problems, as if it would wipe out all the votes against using a clip masterlink.

Do not listen to them. You are not on a weak little dirt bike nor bicycle. It's a street bikes with hard stress on the chain.

In my experience of installing "correctly" 4 clip style master link (and D.i.D. ones too), one of them even with a safety wire (which is the most pointless advice I ever got from the web since the wire won't hold long), every clip has fallen off within days, some within hours.

I never lost a chain because of them because I was alert that clips are iffy, and I monitored the situation intensely.

Use rivet. The safety outweigh largely the questionable convenience of a clip (when I remove the chain it's because I change it, so aside from anticipating changing the chain on a trip, I can't imagine a reason to even use clips.)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 AM

I have gone through many chains on dirt bikes, ATVs, and now street bikes. Never had a failure due to the clip style master link.

I've had extended swing arms on quads pushing 80+hp that end up with 3-4 master links in the chain and never had an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm betting it has more to do with installation.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2005 Suzuki DR790
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I myself have used clips for many years and many miles (10,000+ on this bike) but I now have a lot of damage from a chain that is perfect other than it's missing the master link.
Maybe I won the lottery, but there are a lot of winners out there.
Never read a post about a riveted chain coming off, so I am going to try it that way this time.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
A "Clip" type... by me... and there is only one way to put one on (unless you count putting the clip on "against" the direction of the chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Being as you have changed the clip type master links several times I feel sure you didn't do this, but I've seen a lot of master links come apart because the clip was installed with the open end facing the direction the chain was going.
When I began riding (in the '60s) I was taught that you think of the clip as a 'little fish', and the mantra was... fish swim UPSTREAM... to help remember which way it goes on.

NOW I'll 'tweak' some of you: here's a pic of the master-link (a 'clip') on my '08. It was what came w/ the chain, so I installed it, and THEN used my chain tool to "pein" the ends so the master won't (CAN'T) come off. Effectively it's now a 'riveted' link. (BTW - the RED link is what I do to ALL my chains - paint one link red w/ nail-polish so that when cleaning or lubing you can tell when you've done one rotation as you do BOTH.)

And YES - to remove it I'll have to cut it, same as w/ a riveted master.... AND it's been ON for quite a few miles.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:19 PM

I had my chain replaced recently. I was on a road trip and had to take it to a shop. They installed a 520 X-Ring chain with a clip, It looked good and solid. When I entered in my garage 600 miles after the clip was gone, I don't know when I lost it, but I was very lucky that nothing happened.

I got a new riveted link and installed it. If this bike doesn't come with a clipped master link I'm of the idea of trusting Kawasaki and keep a riveted one.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:51 PM

Garage
I used master links with clips on my bikes for some time. The DID chains that I buy come with clip(s). However, I like fasteddiecopeman "pein" method and will "pein" my bike tomorrow. I think it's a great idea for anyone using clips.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 PM

This is why I bought a chain tool and always rivet my chains. I've read too many stories like this on motorcycle forums.

Stockton makes an exact clone of the Motion Pro tool shown in the video for 50% less.

quexpress likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-18-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode