Permanent tire repair? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Permanent tire repair?

I had a small screw in the rear tire. The workshop refused to repair the puncture, I would have had to leave the bike there, cost 350,- . So I decided to try myself and used a tire repair spray. The maker warns of speeds higher than 80 km/h and strongly suggests to see the next tire workshop as soon as possible. Haha... so I kept riding the tire, first carefully, but soon "as usual", which means city, curvy hillside roads and highway, up to 150 km/h.
Now the repair has lasted for 1000 kilometers, and there is no change visible in the area of the puncture, see photo.
I feel I can exclude sudden pressure loss, so I am tempted to continue and hope to reach the end of tire life that way.
In the manual Kawasaki mentions external and internal repair methods and only adds, that internal provides better reliability, that's all.

Do some of you have experience with such a situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Puncture.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	121186  

Last edited by klaser53; 05-16-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Picture changed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:13 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
tire spray? like fix a flat? personally thats a get you home kinda thing then fix it better when you can... i have a basic plug kit(black slime slug thing) and air pump on my bike and rode countless miles on plugs but if i can i like to put a patch on the inside of the tire (if you can unmount and remount your tire) all you need is some rubber cement and a chunk of rubber (i save my old inner-tubes just for this)

if you used fix a flat (or like product) make sure you warn your mechanic that changes your tire next that stuff can make one hell of a mess

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
tire spray? like fix a flat? personally thats a get you home kinda thing then fix it better when you can... i have a basic plug kit(black slime slug thing) and air pump on my bike and rode countless miles on plugs but if i can i like to put a patch on the inside of the tire (if you can unmount and remount your tire) all you need is some rubber cement and a chunk of rubber (i save my old inner-tubes just for this)

if you used fix a flat (or like product) make sure you warn your mechanic that changes your tire next that stuff can make one hell of a mess
Thanks. Because "thats a get you home kinda thing" I have a slime kit with me... you never know.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:49 PM

Garage
I got a nail in a brand new PR3 on my V-650 a few years back. It wasn't leaking so i finished out the ride then went home. The next day i pulled out my tire plugger kit and plugged it. I put almost 8000 miles on that tire before i sold the bike with no issues. I let the guy that bought it know about the plug and he rode it that way until the life of the tire was done and replaced them... This is the kit I've had since 2010 and its saved me and a few friends from having a bad day......https://www.stopngo.com/tire-mobility-kit-for-cars/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:12 PM

Don't remember where I saw it. Maybe a cycle magazine, but I saw a tire repair plug that looked like a screw, and the end looked a lot like the end of a key the you hold when cranking a car.best I remember you pull the nail out of tire. put glue on the threads of the plug screw it in tight, then bend to break the end off. looked like it was made of some type of plastic. Has any one else seen or remember this? I always wondered if it was any good. I looked on the internet, but can't find any thing on it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Don't remember where I saw it. Maybe a cycle magazine, but I saw a tire repair plug that looked like a screw, and the end looked a lot like the end of a key the you hold when cranking a car.best I remember you pull the nail out of tire. put glue on the threads of the plug screw it in tight, then bend to break the end off. looked like it was made of some type of plastic. Has any one else seen or remember this? I always wondered if it was any good. I looked on the internet, but can't find any thing on it.
i think i remember seeing the ones you are talking about on some car/truck show i use to watch was like a cone shaped plastic plug and you would shove a driver in the tire and turn an allen like key to plug it then snap the driver off... i remember thinking it was a bad idea it being hard plastic

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
i think i remember seeing the ones you are talking about on some car/truck show i use to watch was like a cone shaped plastic plug and you would shove a driver in the tire and turn an allen like key to plug it then snap the driver off... i remember thinking it was a bad idea it being hard plastic
Found it. here is the video. https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...7&action=click
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
yup thats the one ( i was mixing it together with the stopngo in my head for some reason)
still think its a stupid design but thats just me.... i still use the old school black worm style

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 PM

I've had good luck using the Stop N Go mushroom type plugs, but I've also used them by cleaning off the lube they come with & replacing it with tire cement.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
yup thats the one ( i was mixing it together with the stopngo in my head for some reason)
still think its a stupid design but thats just me.... i still use the old school black worm style
I agree. in the video he got a flat from a metal screw pulled it out, and replaced it with a plastic screw. Hell why not just carry a selection of metal screws. Pull out the screw that gave you the flat, and replace it with a larger metal screw. lol

I'm with you Silvie. Old school black worm style. But when I get home, I will replace the tire.
I love me to much to kill myself because I was a cheap bastard.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
But when I get home, I will replace the tire.
I love me to much to kill myself because I was a cheap bastard.
im to poor for that ... if like i said put around a million miles on tires with plugs and never really had a problem. id only replace the tire if the puncture is on the sidewall, or larger then 1/4"... but im also a person that runs my tires down to the cords and then some

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 PM

I use the regular tire rubber plugs and I cover them pretty generously with rubber glue before pushing it in. Never had any problem with that kind of repair. I used to work in a garage back in the day and we never had a customer coming back to us about one of those plug failing as far as I can recall. They are a legit repair.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I bought 2 of these Nealey Heavy Duty Tire Repair kits : Nealey Tire Repair Kit
Nealey Strings do not need lube or glue
Got a tek screw in my Super Tenere 1200 front tire on an interstate trip out in the middle of the boonies, put one of these Nealey String in.... and kept riding. 4000km on and have not lost one psi. Done some pretty hard Km with hard mountain twisties etc.
Still going.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I bought 2 of these Nealey Heavy Duty Tire Repair kits : Nealey Tire Repair Kit
Nealey Strings do not need lube or glue
Got a tek screw in my Super Tenere 1200 front tire on an interstate trip out in the middle of the boonies, put one of these Nealey String in.... and kept riding. 4000km on and have not lost one psi. Done some pretty hard Km with hard mountain twisties etc.
Still going.
that the kind of old school black worm kind we were talking about

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Garage
I would have put a patch on the inside of the tire. Now that you have tire spray in there it is too late to put a patch.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I would have put a patch on the inside of the tire. Now that you have tire spray in there it is too late to put a patch.
no it can still be patched..... but you will hate cans of tire fix about 1/2 way thru the job....

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
no it can still be patched..... but you will hate cans of tire fix about 1/2 way thru the job....
For me that means too late to put a patch.
silviefox likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 AM

I've repaired a lot of automobile tires with the old fashioned black worms like the Nealey kit mentioned above. Never had a failure of any of those patches.

Now I carry a Dynaplug kit but haven't had to use it yet on automobile or motorcycle.

I'd ride cautiously for the first few miles on any repair, but after that I wouldn't worry about a plug or patch repair failing for a typical nail or screw puncture.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaser53 View Post
...Do some of you have experience with such a situation?
Several times I've 'plugged' a tire (NEVER in the sidewall!) and then used it till the tire needed replacing 'cause it was "wore-out", and ONCE (on my Bandit) had a slow-leak caused by some small pieces of glass, so I kept checking the pressure each ride, filling it as necessary, and used THAT tire up, too.

-

Even did that once, after plugging a car tire.
turn8a likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode