starting resets clock - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
starting resets clock

my bike sat a few month over the winter part of the time on the tender part of it off. i start it time to time to run some fuel thru it and a few times i noticed it having a hard time starting and the clock and trips would be rest i thought it was just the typical battery was on its last legs. so i charged it up and its been rode a bit over the last month(gone thru a tank of gas) , then finally i got a new battery (admittedly a cheap one from walmart) charged it up and installed it. and its still having the same problem (didnt seam to have as much trouble when i was going thru that tank of fuel) and now its gotten worse, went from starting in just the first few turns of the motor to now cranking for a few seconds then starting and the dash doing a full restart (like when you first turn the key) and my clock and trips are reset again..

battery reads 12.5-13~V at rest and 14.0-14.3~V when running and a brand new battery from chrome battery, i cleaned the terminals till bright and shinny (both on battery and cables) still same issue , some times starts fine then when trying to restart struggles....

will record it next time i go out for a smoke and start it...

once it starts he runs just fine.. parked in a garage... gas is only a month old. and i put a shot of seafoam in with every fill up

video is after 4 or 5 starts

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 05-14-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:48 PM

Battery may have been defective. Should read just above 13 when at rest. Mine reads 12.6 because battery is on last leggs

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Battery may have been defective. Should read just above 13 when at rest. Mine reads 12.6 because battery is on last leggs
12.6V is a healthy battery. I've never seen 13V at rest, and I poured the acid myself in a brand new one too. You must be seeing that from some remaining capacitive effect when turning the engine off...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:03 AM

to try to answer the question, I suspect you have an electrical leak somewhere, that drains even a new battery.

you should check the milli voltage across fuses and see where it comes from:
Fuse Charts Download
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 AM

I've seen many a "brand new" battery brought in by customers that show proper voltage and are deemed good by the battery supplier based on that. A quick load/amp test shows they are junk and the reason for their continued issue... At one pointwith phone calls it was so bad we'd ask " Is it a _____ by chance?" They'd confirm and think we were psychic!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
12.6V is a healthy battery. I've never seen 13V at rest, and I poured the acid myself in a brand new one too. You must be seeing that from some remaining capacitive effect when turning the engine off...

battery is a "no service" sealed battery , and read 13V right out of the box and now after sitting all night in the bike after that video not on the charger it reads 12.8V with key off and drops to 12.4 with key on.
still same starting issue

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
I've seen many a "brand new" battery brought in by customers that show proper voltage and are deemed good by the battery supplier based on that. A quick load/amp test shows they are junk and the reason for their continued issue... At one pointwith phone calls it was so bad we'd ask " Is it a _____ by chance?" They'd confirm and think we were psychic!
ya i kinda have the feeling thats what it is....
this is the battery i got https://www.walmart.com/ip/YTX12-BS-...tery/162773535

and admittedly i didnt have the best luck with them to start with, they mailed them in just the boxes off the shelf, no padding or anything. and the hardware was missing. (the other battery i ordered arrived damaged and had to fight them to send me a replacement, tho that was for the shadow, and it seems to still be working fine but also a far more basic bike)

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
Mine does the same dang thing actually. Ever find a solution.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkynrk View Post
Mine does the same dang thing actually. Ever find a solution.
nope. im hopeing its just the battery being a cheap POS so im going to put the old one (better brand) back in and hope for the best...
for right now im not in the mood to deal with it (loads of other stuff on my plate)

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ok put the old battery back in and charged it up and started up just like it use to no clock resetting and trouble starting.... so big shocker (or not) dont buy cheap walmart batteries they are $hit

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
ok put the old battery back in and charged it up and started up just like it use to no clock resetting and trouble starting.... so big shocker (or not) dont buy cheap walmart batteries they are $hit
You get what you pay for most of the time.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
great.
(I was about to suggest that maybe the starter motor had some coils shorted; that might have explained the voltage dropping so much and lack of torque, on any battery you put. We'll keep that one for another day...)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
yup i kinda had the feeling thats what it was. and ya most of the time for crap like this the cheap ones are CHEAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
great.
(I was about to suggest that maybe the starter motor had some coils shorted; that might have explained the voltage dropping so much and lack of torque, on any battery you put. We'll keep that one for another day...)
ya i thought that at first too (had that problem with my husbands car , 2 of the 4 brushes were gone alltogether and the 2 that were left were down to the wires)
but it wasnt consistent enough to be that

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
Yep! and if you do a little research, you will find they all are made in China. A lot of the different brands are the same battery. they just put a different label on them.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Yep! and if you do a little research, you will find they all are made in China. A lot of the different brands are the same battery. they just put a different label on them.
EVERYTHING is made in china now days ...... just assembled in other places.... some times

Last edited by silviefox; 05-15-2017 at 06:30 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
ya i kinda have the feeling thats what it is....
this is the battery i got https://www.walmart.com/ip/YTX12-BS-...tery/162773535

and admittedly i didnt have the best luck with them to start with, they mailed them in just the boxes off the shelf, no padding or anything. and the hardware was missing. (the other battery i ordered arrived damaged and had to fight them to send me a replacement, tho that was for the shadow, and it seems to still be working fine but also a far more basic bike)
If you check the link you posted. It states the battery has a 60 day money back guarantee. Don't walk, run like hell to walmart and get a refund. Then go buy a good battery. They cost more, but I've had good luck with Yuasa.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
If you check the link you posted. It states the battery has a 60 day money back guarantee. Don't walk, run like hell to walmart and get a refund. Then go buy a good battery. They cost more, but I've had good luck with Yuasa.
ya tho walmart is ****ing retarded and they DONT do refunds/exchanges themselves you have to contact chrome batteries themselves thru email or phone and deal with them... i had to deal with them to get the battery for the shadow exchanged because it arrived damaged so ya i put my old yuasa battery back into it and charged it and it works fine again

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
ya tho walmart is ****ing retarded and they DONT do refunds/exchanges themselves you have to contact chrome batteries themselves thru email or phone and deal with them... i had to deal with them to get the battery for the shadow exchanged because it arrived damaged so ya i put my old yuasa battery back into it and charged it and it works fine again
Go figure. An old yuasa battery is better than A new Chrome battery.
There is an old saying among old school Harley riders. "chrome won't get you home". Guess they were right. lol
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Go figure. An old yuasa battery is better than A new Chrome battery.
There is an old saying among old school Harley riders. "chrome won't get you home". Guess they were right. lol
lol ya tho in this case chrome dont get you FROM home

but ya sad that my 4+ year old yuasa was far better then a new mailed to me chrome.. i thought it would be good for a year maybe two but damn this was just sad

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 AM

Thanks for sharing. I had a similar issue but was some lose battery terminals and my Yuasa is about 2 years old and still good.

Sad nowadays is that they don't make thing like the good old days anymore..The C's have screwed up the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode