starting resets clock - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Garage
Interesting. I don't think my battery is a cheap walmart jobber but I have a couple decent batteries floating around that I can toss in there and check it out.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkynrk View Post
Interesting. I don't think my battery is a cheap walmart jobber but I have a couple decent batteries floating around that I can toss in there and check it out.
do you have a multi/volt meter? if so charge up your battery make sure your connections are good then test your batter with the volt meter. let me know what your volts are with battery at rest (key off) battery with key on and what its load power is (if you have a multi meter with min/max use that setting if not just kinda keep an eye on the meter as you push the starter button. it should drop but if it goes down to like 6V or lower under load your battery is most likely shot.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Thanks for sharing. I had a similar issue but was some lose battery terminals and my Yuasa is about 2 years old and still good.

Sad nowadays is that they don't make thing like the good old days anymore..The C's have screwed up the market.
well like i said it really is all a you get what you pay(or dont pay) for, the chrome brand batteries are really repops. guts from old batteries with new acid in them...

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Parts Unlimited (not sure if they are sold in US) make a equivalent if not better quality battery for about 2/3 the price of the Yuaso. It also have a higher CCA (cold cracking amps rating) of 210 vs 180 and is 12AH vs 10AH (amp per hour). I would not purchase a battery with a lower CCA and AH rating than the Yuasa model. AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries are slightly more expensive than the basic lead acid type but are sealed and more resistant to vibration and tip overs. They may also last longer. I would definitely go with an AGM battery in a motorcycle.

Yuasa Model for the Versys
YTX12-BS - 180CCA - 10Ah

Parts Unlimited Model for the Versys 650
YTX14AHL-BS - 210CCA - 12Ah

Is it possible the Chrome battery you purchased does not have a high enough CCA rating to power the Versys starter?

Last edited by twowheels; 05-16-2017 at 06:45 PM.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Parts Unlimited (not sure if they are sold in US) make a equivalent if not better quality battery for about 2/3 the price of the Yuaso. It also have a higher CCA (cold cracking amps rating) of 210 vs 180 and is 12AH vs 10AH (amp per hour). I would not purchase a battery with a lower CCA and AH rating than the Yuasa model. AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries are slightly more expensive than the basic lead acid type but are sealed and more resistant to vibration and tip overs. They may also last longer. I would definitely go with an AGM battery in a motorcycle.

YTX12-BS - 180CCA - 10Ah

Is it possible the Chrome battery you purchased does not have a high enough CCA rating to power the Versys starter?
Silviefox link showes the chrome battery 180CCA 10AH
Same as yuasa.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

YTX12-BS - 180CCA - 10Ah

according to the site

Specifications
Volts
12 Volts
Amps
10 Amps
Cold Crank Amp
Vehicle Type
Motorcycle
Condition
New
Watts
120 Watts
Contained Battery Type
Lead Acid
Brand
Chrome Battery
Contains Batteries
Y
Assembled Product Weight
8.46 Pounds
Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
5.91 x 3.43 x 5.12 Inches

but im sure the one i got is not even putting out that. im sure its got 2-3 dead cells

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
do you have a multi/volt meter? if so charge up your battery make sure your connections are good then test your batter with the volt meter. let me know what your volts are with battery at rest (key off) battery with key on and what its load power is (if you have a multi meter with min/max use that setting if not just kinda keep an eye on the meter as you push the starter button. it should drop but if it goes down to like 6V or lower under load your battery is most likely shot.
I will take a look and see.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode