Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

5Likes
  • 4 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

installed DENALI DM lights on my Gen 3

I bought a set of DENALI DM lights from an inmate here, c/w the SW-Motech kit to mount them, awhile back.

Weather's been rather "iffy" here, so I started the 'install' yesterday. Right away it became evident that mounting them onto my SW-Motech engine guards would NOT work as long as I wanted them protected from a fall, so I looked around my shop for ideas.

When I got my Polaris R/R from onewizard he'd left the Polaris bracket attached to it, in case I needed it.

I took a look, then back at my SW-Motech engine guards, and thought that I could cut two pieces out of that bracket (already have a bit of a 'curve' to use), then weld them onto the aprox. 2" spacers that go behind the guards, so I cut two pieces off.

A bit of work w/ a reciprocating saw, some grinding, and - VOILA - the two brackets were pretty close to identical.

Wire-brushed the paint where the welds would be:

and then welded the pieces together.

Did a bit more "wire-brushing" and got them clean, ready for paint.

Did some "rattle-canning" and ended up w/ this:

Here they are, installed but w/ the wiring just ready for finishing.

Then I spent about three (or FOUR...) hours finalizing WHERE to put the wiring so it's out-of-the-way, but accessible. The relay, as well as the attachments to + and - power are under the seat area, while I put the ON/OFF switch near the left grip. I'm using the running lights to 'trigger' the relay, so they are AVAILABLE when the ignition is ON, and here's a view of the lights ON.

They're pretty bright, so it should help me to be more visible (as well as help when I ride after dark).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 AM

Nice job, Mr. C. You should be able to ignite shrubbery at 100 meters with that light intensity!!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:01 AM

Got those little demons 4 years ago & have been really happy with them.
At night every reflective marker all the way to the horizon is lit.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Got those little demons 4 years ago & have been really happy with them.
At night every reflective marker all the way to the horizon is lit.
Light up markers all the way to the horizon, eh? Do they wrinkle up as you close on them?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:58 PM

Excellent set-up!
I will certainly clone your idea later on! Thanks for posting!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Garage
I like what you have done, other than "I'm using the running lights to 'trigger' the relay, so they are AVAILABLE when the ignition is ON".

I used to have my accessories (via a Fuzeblock) trigger by the running lights.

I then realized they were putting quite a load on the electricals.

I now have the trigger on the low beam headlight so they don't come on till the bike is running.

Cheers

Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:51 AM

Nicely done

consider a separate switch for Aux lights, will save on current drain.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
...I used to have my accessories (via a Fuzeblock) trigger by the running lights. I then realized they were putting quite a load on the electricals. I now have the trigger on the low beam headlight so they don't come on till the bike is running....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
...consider a separate switch for Aux lights, will save on current drain.
Thanks BOTH of you, but I beat you to it!

I installed the DENALI switch (came w/ the lights) so that I can turn the lights OFF or ON, and they stay at that setting even after the ignition OFF, ON sequence, so I'm not worried about current drain. Here's a pic of it, but I haven't finalized WHERE it will 'end-up', which will TRY to explain the 'electricians tape' holding it. I went out last night to "align" the lights, but failed (NOT very dark at 2100 hrs here!), so I plan to try again in the garage....

I DID realize tho', that there's a pretty BRIGHT reflection off the edges of the front-fork amber-reflectors (comes up just between the gas-tank and the cowling "stuff"), so I'll be removing them and putting reflective tape onto the fork-lowers.
AngryGazebo likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:51 PM

Garage
I like it. Very nice fab work, makes it look like a factory install.

Ed

2011 Versys 650
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 AM

Garage
Nice Eddie

Very nice !

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode