• 1 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 3 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By CyclopsRider
  • 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Metal shavings in oil

Hi all. I changed the oil on my versys this weekend and noticed metal flakes on the drain pan after I got done. I bought it last November with 2,700 miles on the clock. The oil looked nice and clean, but I changed it then anyway just because of how much sitting it had done. Everything seemed fine with that one. Fast forward to now 1,000 miles later (3,800 miles). I changed the oil and filter again just as an overkill preventative measure, then I was going to go to normal change intervals after this one. Well this time I noticed the metal flakes. Could this be leftover break in material that was stuck in there from lack of use/so much sitting that finally got flushed out of there from me riding it regularly? It makes me feel a little bit uneasy but the engine runs great with no abnormal sounds or anything like that. I read on here that some people had break in material come out up to 5,000 miles so I hope it's just that case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170423_182312201.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	119994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170423_182316827.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	120002  

2009 Blue Versys - 3,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Are the flakes aluminum or steel (a magnet will tell)? If it is aluminum I would tend to think it is left over manufacturing material. If steel then you might have a problem. If you have a warranty I would take it in and show a shop. If no warranty I would put in new oil and a magnetic drain plug and ride it. Good luck with your decision.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM

I would for sure install the magnetic drain plug.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:12 PM

Garage
I put this on my V-1000.......Gold Plug Magnetic Drain Plug MP-01 - Gold Plug LLC ? Magnetic Drain Plugs . Also fits the Versys 650......Get it on the links web-site but pay with your Amazon account its cheaper than ordering from Amazon.

P1010566 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010568 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010567 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

I didn't think about trying to use a magnet to see if it was ferrous or not. I should have saved them somewhere that was stupid of me. Maybe there's some in the used oil jug I have if I pour it back into the drain pan and filter it with something. And no warranty on it, it's too old for that being an '09. I just proceeded with the oil change and buttoned it back up with a new filter/oil. I've been riding it the past few days and it still seems happy as a clam with no abnormal noise. So I'm going to guess it is most likely leftover break in/build material. I'll be sure to look closely at the next oil change and put a magnetic drain plug on it soon.
weljo2001 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys - 3,000 miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
I would for sure install the magnetic drain plug.
I use a "rare-earth" magnet, attached to my oil-filter, and left attached until AFTER I remove the filter, then transferred to the fresh filter.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:44 PM

Garage
I've been using a PCS-1 Re-Usable oil filter since 2010 on 3 different bikes now. In the photo below on the filter element you can see a round magnet in it. The same model filter fits Versys 650's, Versys 1000's and FJR's

IMG_0115 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Metalmad and CyclopsRider like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:29 PM

Keep in mind the engine block and cylinder sleeves are non magnetic aluminum so a magnet will not attract particles from these. The pistons and connecting rods are also aluminum.
Metalmad likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I've been using a PCS-1 Re-Usable oil filter since 2010 on 3 different bikes now. In the photo below on the filter element you can see a round magnet in it. The same model filter fits Versys 650's, Versys 1000's and FJR's

IMG_0115 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I use this same filter on my old Suzuki and one on order for my new V1k. A solid filter, cleans really well. Worth the price.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-801W using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davpag1 View Post
I use this same filter on my old Suzuki and one on order for my new V1k. A solid filter, cleans really well. Worth the price.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-801W using Tapatalk

Yep, I've been real happy with mine. Amazon usually has the cheapest prices. I just ordered a new O-Ring for it this morning from here for $5.00....Replacement Seal Rings for FLO Oil Filters PCS1 & PCS2

The filter came with 2 O-Rings but i misplaced one. The original O-Ring i used for 4 years when i replaced it and it was still good.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yep, I've been real happy with mine. Amazon usually has the cheapest prices. I just ordered a new O-Ring for it this morning from here for $5.00....Replacement Seal Rings for FLO Oil Filters PCS1 & PCS2

The filter came with 2 O-Rings but i misplaced one. The original O-Ring i used for 4 years when i replaced it and it was still good.

Just got my order this morning. They are now sending (2) O-Rings for $5.00

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode