Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Metal shavings in oil

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  weljo2001 
#1 ·
Hi all. I changed the oil on my versys this weekend and noticed metal flakes on the drain pan after I got done. I bought it last November with 2,700 miles on the clock. The oil looked nice and clean, but I changed it then anyway just because of how much sitting it had done. Everything seemed fine with that one. Fast forward to now 1,000 miles later (3,800 miles). I changed the oil and filter again just as an overkill preventative measure, then I was going to go to normal change intervals after this one. Well this time I noticed the metal flakes. Could this be leftover break in material that was stuck in there from lack of use/so much sitting that finally got flushed out of there from me riding it regularly? It makes me feel a little bit uneasy but the engine runs great with no abnormal sounds or anything like that. I read on here that some people had break in material come out up to 5,000 miles so I hope it's just that case.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Are the flakes aluminum or steel (a magnet will tell)? If it is aluminum I would tend to think it is left over manufacturing material. If steel then you might have a problem. If you have a warranty I would take it in and show a shop. If no warranty I would put in new oil and a magnetic drain plug and ride it. Good luck with your decision.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I didn't think about trying to use a magnet to see if it was ferrous or not. I should have saved them somewhere that was stupid of me. Maybe there's some in the used oil jug I have if I pour it back into the drain pan and filter it with something. And no warranty on it, it's too old for that being an '09. I just proceeded with the oil change and buttoned it back up with a new filter/oil. I've been riding it the past few days and it still seems happy as a clam with no abnormal noise. So I'm going to guess it is most likely leftover break in/build material. I'll be sure to look closely at the next oil change and put a magnetic drain plug on it soon.

#7 ·
I've been using a PCS-1 Re-Usable oil filter since 2010 on 3 different bikes now. In the photo below on the filter element you can see a round magnet in it. The same model filter fits Versys 650's, Versys 1000's and FJR's

IMG_0115 by weljo2001, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.