Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Aux relay

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Beezerboy 
#1 ·
so, late last year my aux outputs went dead (2016, 3k miles). I was only using the grip heater wires, but the fog light circuit is dead too. both of those are fed from "connector D" and the "Accessory relay".... where are these located? I believe the 3 under the fuel tank are headlight, ECU, and fuel pump. the turn signal relay is under the instruments.... don't know where the Acc relay is

and the connectors.... labeled a,b, c, d, etc in the manual.... how do you identify? "A" appears in a diagram but the others ... not so much. still learning the bike, so kind want to know these things

and no, its not the fuse

#4 ·
650 abs lt

Looked up what you have, I assume it is a 2015 or newer, if so look at fuse box #2 , circuit #1 is a 5 amp fuse, it is blown. Relay is in front right almost directly in front of the hydraulic reservoir for the front brake. You need to remove the two screws and release the two plastic rivets, look in the owners manual and it shows where all this is and also how to release the rivets, which amount to pushing the pin in about a 1/8 inch. Installing you push the pin out before installing. Some on the UK forum are using a 8 amp fuse, be aware this wiring is 18 gauge, it can't handle 10 amp continuous .That wire melts and it could take out your whole harness. I used that as a trigger for my auxiliary power that I added, realistically fog lights or grip heaters but not both.

#5 ·
thanks, I'll take a look up there. maybe I was not clear... 2016 bike, under 3k miles. I already have the plastic off up front... tank too. (not the first time either). aux system my worked for about 1000 miles & quit. I'm guessing it's either the relay or the "D" connector because all the other stuff, horn, lights etc that pull power from the same point work as normal

as I said in the 1st post... "and no, its not the fuse "... the fuse checked good and I replaced it anyway... it's not the fuse. thanks guys,,, anything else is welcome

#7 ·
Picture of Video

Looking at the picture of the video, relay with the white print is the signal lighjt flasher, to the left of that is the aux. relay, take note, there is a frame ground used, very close to the regulator, ( regulator is near the glycol expansion tank), I would assume it is OK, however worth checking.It is possible the relay coil failed, very easy to check, pull the relay and check the socket for power with the key turned on, you should have two pins reading 12 volts positive, one pin is ground and one pin is your output. I will get the colours later.

#8 ·
X-O-lint... ya, thats good info, thanks guys. and yes, relay fail or loss of relay ground were the 1st things I wanted to check since it seems to be a single point failure that affects several systems.

should be just a matter of ringing out the wires now. I have the factory manual & wire codes. thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.