Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Running rich?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bigaussie 
#1 ·
Hi

I was leading a small group ride the other week and a few of the riders told me they could smell my exhaust.

They surmised it was running rich.

I dropped into my local Adrenalin co-op (Great place - they can do the work for you for $C85 or you can do it yourself with their stands, tools, etc., for $C20 per hour or a combination of both). They noted that there was no obvious blackness around the exhaust.

I am going back next week to pull the tank off and clean the air filter.

The other suggestion was to have the ECU flashed incase the previous owner had played with it when there was a Power Commander III fitted. We removed that several years ago as I wasn't happy with the way it was handling. I am told the only place local is 2 Wheel DynoWorks. Unfortunately, that would be two (expensive) ferries and a motel as I live on Vancouver Island and Nels is in Kirkland, WA

The last few tanks of gas have averaged in the low 40’s imperial MPG (less than 200 miles max per tank) for only moderate running – no high speed or hard acceleration.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks 10dadeo.

Yes it has a Leo Vance SBK slip on.

I will still clean the air filter but won't spend the $ on rechiping it.

#5 · (Edited)
You cannot have your ECU 'flashed' or 'rechipped'.

Check and clean your air filter, and make sure it's not over-oiled. You run on 10W-40 engine oil, and premium gasoline? How old are your spark plugs?

At low 40's mpg in such conditions, you must be running a tad rich. I average 68 miles per imperial gallon.

#6 ·
You cannot have your ECU 'flashed' or 'rechipped'.
I thought you could have it remapped as part of dyno tuning.

Check and clean your air filter, and make sure it's not over-oiled.
Will do after Sunday's run when I will have an empty fuel tank. I cleaned it out after Alaska last year, and have added less than 6,000 kms ago.

You run on 10W-40 engine oil, and premium gasoline? How old are your spark plugs?
Yes to 10W-40 synthetic oil, but regular gas. Spark plugs are about 16,000 kms / 10,000 miles, prior to Alaska.

At low 40's mpg in such conditions, you must be running a tad rich. I average 68 miles per imperial gallon.
I am only at 50 miles per imperial gallon, but

a. I am a big guy (120 kg)
b. Non-stand wind screen (Fast Eddie's old one)
c. Lots of bags
d. Lots of **** in the bags

Thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.