How to attach front fender extender? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

1Likes
  • 1 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

How to attach front fender extender?

Recently bought a Pyramid Plastics front fender extender. It only comes with a few small strips of double sided adhesive foam to hold it on, which to me does not look like it will hold it attached for long. How have others handled this issue?

BTW I have a similar fender extender from my previous Versys (only fits 07-09) for sale (won't fit my current Versys) for $20CDN plus shipping compared to $47CDN/35US plus shipping at TwistedThrottle. It came with self tapping screws which did a great job of keeping it attached, just not sure I want to drill a hole in my fender this time if there are other options. These work well at keeping a considerable amount of crud off the radiator, engine and other parts directly behind the front wheel.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-21-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:03 AM

Garage
If its the gray 3M double sided tape, that stuff is super strong. I'd just make sure the underside of the fender is very clean and wiped with rubbing alcohol before installing it.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Garage
Pull the fender or the wheel for easier install. The 3m butyl tape is super strong. I use MEK to clean the surface.

I have attached fender flairs on trucks with 3m butyl tape that stayed attached for 200,000 miles.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM

+1 on 3M. Throw out the tape that comes with it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Garage
I just put one on my bike. It came with some little plastic rivets and some awful double sided tape. I didn't like the idea of drilling the fender for screws or rivets so I used some 2 part plastic epoxy. It seems to work great but time will tell.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Could someone please post the 3M tape type. They have 100 different adhesive tape types on their site.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 PM
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:14 PM

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 PM

I also did not like the idea of using plastic rivets + double sided tape.
I therefore decided to use ABS plastic cement which creates a chemical bond. It softens the ABS to permit a stronger bond.
I finished this mod by having the fender painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extender01.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	119674   Click image for larger version

Name:	extender02.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	119682   Click image for larger version

Name:	extender03.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	119690  

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
3M VHB Acrylic Automotive mount tape

I use this stuff all the time double sided tape is required. Easy on, stuff stays stuck and when it comes to removing it comes off clean.

examples here:
3M Automotive Tape | eBay

I taped up my Pyramid fender extender with it... lined the profile of the extender with the stuff... still on 3 years later.
even hit road kill and it did not rip off.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:48 AM

I used a hot glue gun only.
twowheels likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:16 AM

Garage
I installed my fender extender over a year ago with the sticky tape only...no problems. Rode in rain, wind, and hot weather. I cleaned the inside of my fender with alcohol, so far no problems. I do check it once in a while.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Garage
I put a Fenda Extenda on another bike but I used JB Weld. Like others, I didn't want to put screws in my fender and didn't trust the tape method.

HERE is a thread located on another board showing how I did mine.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:22 PM

Garage
Gorilla Glue Epoxy...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 PM

I have installed 2 fender extenders and used nothing but a thin coat of clear silicone. I rough up the attachment portion of the extender and the inside of the bike fender with fairly coarse sandpaper and then put a thin even coat of silicone on both. You can secure with a couple of spring clamps if you have removed or loosened the fender or you can just jam some rags between the extender and the tire. Wipe any excess off with a rag dabbed in alcohol. I've done it both ways with excellent results. Has always worked great and makes a secure watertight bond that won't allow water or mud to seep between the two. Allow 24 hours for curing before riding.

Last edited by Silverbullet; 04-27-2017 at 08:24 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 06:06 PM

First, adding the fender extender is an excellent addition. Keeps the mud from clogging a radiator.

Being anal, I'm probably the only person to use the supplied rivets to attach the extender to the fender. Looks fine to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode