7Likes
  • 3 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By SlowIsSmooth
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Oil Differences Explained - Video

Wanted to share as the following video is one of the better explanations of engine oil I've come across.

chid, james75 and mully123 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Very useful!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 AM

I don't know this guy's qualifications, but I'd bet they have nothing to do with blending motor oil.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

IF what he said is factual (and I have NO reason to doubt him) - the comparison of the oils draining down that incline should help some understand the advantages of SYNTHETIC...!
Urbanengineer likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM

I have no problem with the conclusion. It is commonly known synthetic offers better extreme temperature performance and maintains viscosity longer than conventional oil. Many of the details during the video, however, are just plain wrong. Starting with 5W and SAE 5 grade having ANYTHING in common.

The visual difference in the video would have also been more realistic for most users had they used conventional and synthetic 5W or 10W at 32*. Very few people will ever start a motor at -35, especially with 15w oil and no block heater. But Pennzoil wasn't paying for realistic in their sponsorship of the video.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
I have no problem with the conclusion. It is commonly known synthetic offers better extreme temperature performance and maintains viscosity longer than conventional oil. Many of the details during the video, however, are just plain wrong. Starting with 5W and SAE 5 grade having ANYTHING in common.

The visual difference in the video would have also been more realistic for most users had they used conventional and synthetic 5W or 10W at 32*. Very few people will ever start a motor at -35, especially with 15w oil and no block heater. But Pennzoil wasn't paying for realistic in their sponsorship of the video.
The video is sponsored by Pennzoil so I would assume it is factually correct. Also the lower number in a multigrade indicates the approx weight of the base oil

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 PM

The first number is the cold pumpability rating. It does NOT correlate to SAE grade in any way, shape or form. The w stands for winter, not weight.
Urbanengineer and mbclark222 like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
The first number is the cold pumpability rating. It does NOT correlate to SAE grade in any way, shape or form. The w stands for winter, not weight.
"The first number '10W' is the viscosity of the oil at cold temperature (defined as the weight of a single weight oil with the same viscosity at the same cold weather measurement temp) and the second number is the viscosity at 100 C (212 F). The two numbers used are individually defined by SAE J300 for single-grade oils." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

In order to obtain the cold weather performance indicative of a 5 in a 5W-30 rating for instance, in most cases a 5 weight base oil will be used combined with added polymers to give it similar viscosity at 100C as a single weight 30 oil.
Urbanengineer likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-18-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode